Worrilow Among Top Tacklers In Nfl

Sidecar Falcon

What a season it’s been for Paul Worrilow. He’s gone from an undrafted linebacker when training camp opened to a full-time starter and one of the most productive players the Falcons have had on defense this season. That pretty much sums up Worrilow, but a closer look at his production reveals just how tremendous of a season he’s had.

Worrilow found himself in the lineup when injuries mounted, but once he settled into the defense, he never left the field and he never stopped tackling. His 100 tackles ranks tied for 18th in the league and only 19 NFL players have more tackles than Worrilow this season. That’s an impressive season for anyone, especially someone that didn’t get his first start until Week 4. The linebacker doesn’t think too much about the benchmark stat for NFL linebackers and it seems he would gladly trade it for a better record this season.

“It would mean a lot more if our record was where we wanted it to be, obviously,” Worrilow said. “You want to be productive any time you’re out there. It’s a nice thing for the headlines, or whatever.”

That Week 4 start saw Worrilow on the field for just 18 percent of the snaps and what may be most surprising is the Falcons’ leading tackler this season finished without a single tackle in that game. His first tackle came in Week 3 when he was on the field for 32 percent of the snaps. In Week 5, Worrilow took another progression in his play, seeing the field for 61 percent of the snaps and recorded six tackles.

The buzz around Worrilow began in Week 7 when he began his current streak of eight straight games starting. While on the field for over 90 percent of the snaps in Week 7 and 8, Worrilow only had 10 tackles combined. Then, in Week 9, playing every single snap against Carolina, the linebacker tied a franchise record with 19 tackles. Then he did it again the following week.

Worrilow’s averaged 11 tackles per game since Week 7 and his big season has largely come following that initial four-tackle effort. The player Worrilow is tied with at 100 tackles is Detroit’s DeAndre Levy, a linebacker that has missed just 15 snaps of his team’s entire season.

Worrilow has done more with less time to do it, but he sees it as just doing his job whenever he’s asked to step onto the field.

“I have a high motor and I’m going to finish every play,” Worrilow said. “As an inside linebacker, you’ve got to be able to finish to the ball, take on blocks, fill your assignment and ultimately finish on the ball. That’s your job.”

http://blogs.atlantafalcons.com/2013/12/12/worrilow-tackles/

This guy is the biggest bright spot in an otherwise dark season.

Akeem Dent is a fking waste. And I hated the very day that we drafted that guy. UGA product, a 2-Down LB at best... I said it then, and i stand by it now. And he's not even a 1-Down LB. Practice Squad guy at best now

Disagree he is good depth and a solid ST player. Every team needs some depth but i much rather have paul starting with akeem ready to step in as solid depth if something happens to paul.

Dent's a good run stopper and a decent pass rusher but Worrilow can be the total package. He won't have to be taken out on passing down and can stay on the field for all the snaps without getting wasted like most of our D.

Worrilow's our starting MLB for years to come, Dent's a great backup and ST'er.

Like coach E.Russell said years ago - it's a game of blocking and tackling of which we can't do either. If I our position coaches can't coach up or teach and demand it, they need to go. Some of these young guys understand that better then our Vets.

We have to change this environment. When you miss a tackles its not about your speed or your talent!

We all know it will start at the top.

I think Worrilow should be the signal caller on defense relieving Spoon from the responsibility. He has been a consistent player on a team plagued with inconsistency and he will only grow. You can teach a player the game and technique but you either have instincts or you don't. You can't measure his intangibles.

I like Worrilow. He's a nice surprise because on a team bereft of basic football ability, he shines like a star. I'm am still holding off a glaring endorsement until we shore up our line. Since they are porous, he is getting the tackles funneled to him. Ill give him credit fir actually tackling though. But what would he be like in a competant defense?

I like Worrilow. He's a nice surprise because on a team bereft of basic football ability, he shines like a star. I'm am still holding off a glaring endorsement until we shore up our line. Since they are porous, he is getting the tackles funneled to him. Ill give him credit fir actually tackling though. But what would he be like in a competant defense?

That's been my question. Worrilow is shining because he's the only one on our defense that can actually tackle. I hope he keeps getting better and becomes the greatest mlb in the history of the NFL though. smile.png

Dent is not a waste he's just not a 3 down linebacker - he is good enough as a situational guy, Just what he was drafted as! Lofton were the starter at that time, and nobody could forsee that we would lose him.. No doubt worrilow is a better tackler though

That's all fine, well and good but you don't take THAT player in round 3, you take them in round 5. Where Dent would really fit well in is a 3-4 defense where 2 down LB's have a very important role...