Now Vs Future: Which One Will Td And Smitty Choose?

egoprime II

At this time, we have on our roster some players who clearly will not be here next year. Jeremy Trueblood is one. Asante Samuel is another. There may be more.

The Falcons have some personnel decisions to make, and they need to be made before the season ends. Here is why.

Teams have practice squads. Players who generally do not have much chance of playing make up these squads. Thing is, our Falcons need cheap young talent that might develop. This fits the description of practice squad players.

The Falcons figure to be players in Free Agency this year. Any good player we sign...and we need two at the -very- least....will offset good players that we lose (due to age, expense, etc) in the compensation formulations.

So why not cut the deadwood on our team, now? And players we simply have no plans for beyond this season? Sign some of these other team's practice squad guys and get them onto our team.

So we can be ahead of the curve for once..

Purge it like Kim Jong Un

Noy going to happen that way - the best is probably Jones OT and DD getting a game with FS Ishmael as well. The rest wont see any reps at all.

Reps aren't as important as simply getting players to have so we can start seeing if we can use them or not.

Worrillow was a practice squad guy early on, remember?

Edited by egoprime II

They do train with the 53, the fact we have 2 UDFA's starting plus another getting o line reps and another elevated (Jones) recently makes this a standout year for UDFA talent to get a shot. Motta was a 7th and he's a starter this Sunday I can't see how we could sign anymore players without ditching some players on the 53 and there is some integrity issues if we bin anyone now just for the future.

As far as I can see there's a disconnect with the 'process' as Smitty calls it as we let a lot of talent sit without being more rotational. This Spring will be exciting to see who and what does eventually move on and the replacements made in lieu.

It's now a waiting game.....

Edited by leftfield

At this time, we have on our roster some players who clearly will not be here next year. Jeremy Trueblood is one. Asante Samuel is another. There may be more.

The Falcons have some personnel decisions to make, and they need to be made before the season ends. Here is why.

Teams have practice squads. Players who generally do not have much chance of playing make up these squads. Thing is, our Falcons need cheap young talent that might develop. This fits the description of practice squad players.

The Falcons figure to be players in Free Agency this year. Any good player we sign...and we need two at the -very- least....will offset good players that we lose (due to age, expense, etc) in the compensation formulations.

So why not cut the deadwood on our team, now? And players we simply have no plans for beyond this season? Sign some of these other team's practice squad guys and get them onto our team.

So we can be ahead of the curve for once..

Nice post! But I must say, I'm not too keen on getting players from other team's PS, myself, when we already have a full compliment of players on our own, who already know our system. Now, that's not to say there aren't any good ones out there --- I just think we'll either keep what we have, or release one or two who aren't "cuttin' the mustard", and either add some UDFAs, or higher round draft picks to it. Really, it's all a crap shoot, anyway.....some will work out, and some won't.

And, I don't think we cut any "dead wood" until after the season is over, but no doubt, there needs to be a purging (not major) at season's end.....and I think there will be!!!

Then, I think we unload some vets, too, either because of age, or cost, as well as some Practice Squad players, and back-ups who haven't contributed this season, for whatever reason.

I see us going younger, on a lot of positions, since we've had some good play out of our youth this season. Maybe all that's happened, will turn out to be a blessing in disguise.....I hope so!!!

GO, YOU DIRTY BIRDS!!!!!!!

I will be most excited if TD and Smith are GONE after the season but it looks like they will be given another year to send us further into the abyss. I don't know how they suddenly change philosophy and start making good decisions instead of bad ones. I see more of the same and frankly I am sick of the "process" real sick of it, everything from the presser's to the in game play calling and even dam pre-season games are just Mike Smith robotical and TD hasn't exactly burned up the league finding talent. Take away 3 or 4 players and we have nothing here, TD made a couple of splashes with glamour picks Ryan and Julio and 2 FA pick ups Turner and TG, other than that he is a bust and got exposed for it this year, the paint wore off the turd so to speak.

I will be most excited if TD and Smith are GONE after the season but it looks like they will be given another year to send us further into the abyss. I don't know how they suddenly change philosophy and start making good decisions instead of bad ones. I see more of the same and frankly I am sick of the "process" real sick of it, everything from the presser's to the in game play calling and even dam pre-season games are just Mike Smith robotical and TD hasn't exactly burned up the league finding talent. Take away 3 or 4 players and we have nothing here, TD made a couple of splashes with glamour picks Ryan and Julio and 2 FA pick ups Turner and TG, other than that he is a bust and got exposed for it this year, the paint wore off the turd so to speak.

i hate to say it but its so true. we had to commit about 2 drafts worth of picks to draft julio, so i wouldnt count that as a win. ryan was a good choice over dorsey, turner and gonzo deals were good. other than that? what has he done? william moore sticks out as his best draft pick. that aint saying much

Because if we cut them now then we have their dead money carryover into next year. I swear these threads are getting dumber and dumber.

Dunno where your coming from here, but the only thing dumb about my post and this thread, is your response. Unlike you with your comment, I will explain mine.

Here is what IS dumb:

Keeping an agiing injury prone and increasingly ineffective benched veteran CB when he willl cost over 4.5 million next season. Whatever it cost to let him go, I sincerely doubt it will be anything close to that figure. Besides, we traded for Samuel. If memory serves, Philly took the cap hit for his bonus.

Trueblood is a waste pure and simple. His roster spot is better served with another younger players who at least has -some- potential.

Nicholas is benched. It serves no purpose to keep him at his salary. Whatever it might cost to let him go, we make it up by saving on his salary. We have two young LBs I would rather play in his place.

Reynolds is a five year vet. He is, what he is. Reynolds needs a change of scenery. We need another better lineman.

These are four examples, there are probably a couple more. Why not sign some players off other teams' practice squads to take thier place? Who knows, there might be another Worrilow out there.

I have seen these off season threads where folks post what these guys are going to make this next season. Do I know what thier cap hits will be? No but I can take a guess because I have an idea what they are going to make.

But tell you what Psychic...since you brought the bonus thing up, why don't -you- back it up with some facts? Like, how much -would- the cap hit for these moves be?

I mean, you have an opinion enough to post your response. Care to back it up? Or are you just having a bad day, or something? smile.png

Edited by egoprime II

Sadly TG was not a FA, he was traded for. We lost a 2nd round pick, traded to KC and TDs friend Pioli. I didn't like it at the time. And now that we have a soon to be retired TG, instead of a young player chosen in the 2nd round who would be a five year vet now (if TD hit with the pick of course), well I like the TG trade even less. TG was worth...at the very most....a 3rd rounder.

Sadly TG was not a FA, he was traded for. We lost a 2nd round pick, traded to KC and TDs friend Pioli. I didn't like it at the time. And now that we have a soon to be retired TG, instead of a young player chosen in the 2nd round who would be a five year vet now (if TD hit with the pick of course), well I like the TG trade even less. TG was worth...at the very most....a 3rd rounder.

I disagree.

Based on his production TG was worth the 2nd and it may have eve been a bargain.

Like you said had we drafted a player it would be their 5th season and they would probably be a free agent. Unless they were exceptional we would most likely let them walk and be looking to draft a replacement for them this draft.

Why exactly do we need cheap young talent again? Cheap talent is nice but we are about to have plenty of cap room.

I don't think we're going to have as much cap room as you think.

We're going to carry dead money for TG and Ryan's cap hit is going to jump next season.

I also think we're going to have quite a few players hit free agency next season so I wouldn't expect a spending spree.

Dunno where your coming from here, but the only thing dumb about my post and this thread, is your response. Unlike you with your comment, I will explain mine.

Here is what IS dumb:

Keeping an agiing injury prone and increasingly ineffective benched veteran CB when he willl cost over 4.5 million next season. Whatever it cost to let him go, I sincerely doubt it will be anything close to that figure. Besides, we traded for Samuel. If memory serves, Philly took the cap hit for his bonus.

Trueblood is a waste pure and simple. His roster spot is better served with another younger players who at least has -some- potential.

Nicholas is benched. It serves no purpose to keep him at his salary. Whatever it might cost to let him go, we make it up by saving on his salary. We have two young LBs I would rather play in his place.

Reynolds is a five year vet. He is, what he is. Reynolds needs a change of scenery. We need another better lineman.

These are four examples, there are probably a couple more. Why not sign some players off other teams' practice squads to take thier place? Who knows, there might be another Worrilow out there.

I have seen these off season threads where folks post what these guys are going to make this next season. Do I know what thier cap hits will be? No but I can take a guess because I have an idea what they are going to make.

But tell you what Psychic...since you brought the bonus thing up, why don't -you- back it up with some facts? Like, how much -would- the cap hit for these moves be?

I mean, you have an opinion enough to post your response. Care to back it up? Or are you just having a bad day, or something? smile.png

Ugh.... you really don't get it, do you?

Well, looks like you don't think I do, so....explain, if you would.

And I am saying that in a non-antagonistic way, ok. If there is fault in my logic, tell me.

Your logic is fine. If $$$$ wasn't involved I'd be all for your idea.

Unfortunately, cutting the players you named THIS season have a serious negative effect on the cap situation NEXT season. Basically, if the Falcons wait until the season ends they will incur less dead money. It is not wise then to lose cap room for next season simply to scavenge from other teams' PS.

Your logic is fine. If $$$$ wasn't involved I'd be all for your idea.

Unfortunately, cutting the players you named THIS season have a serious negative effect on the cap situation NEXT season. Basically, if the Falcons wait until the season ends they will incur less dead money. It is not wise then to lose cap room for next season simply to scavenge from other teams' PS.

Psychic essentially said the same thing. It would be nice to know for sure what these ramifications actually are?

Samuel signed a three year deal for 14.7 million, this on the same day TD traded for him. I am having a difficult time finding his cap hit if he were to be cut now or later even. Anyone know where to get this info?

TD signed Trueblood for this year only. He is an UFA after this season.

Reynolds hit is 1.3 million next season. He originally signed a two year deal this last off season. His cap hit for being released is 500k. The only way for us to get out from under that is to let him go after June 1st, even then that 500k gets added to 2015.

Nicholas is another I have not found reliable info on. Help there would be good too.

Because if we cut them now then we have their dead money carryover into next year. I swear these threads are getting dumber and dumber.

Most people saying "cut this guy, cut that guy" have no idea how much the financial aspect weighs in. The other day I saw someone wanting to cut Sam Baker, he's about the safest person on our roster other than Matt.

What good would a PS player from another team do here? You can't just sign the guy who is on another team and throw him out their, he has no idea what out scheme is, what our calls are,formations etc etc... It be almost like throwing a blind man out onto the field.

Also check out Spotrac.com for player contracts and such

Edited by Falkonator

i hate to say it but its so true. we had to commit about 2 drafts worth of picks to draft julio, so i wouldnt count that as a win. ryan was a good choice over dorsey, turner and gonzo deals were good. other than that? what has he done? william moore sticks out as his best draft pick. that aint saying much

Bierman, Maponga, and Massaquoi can be very good 3-4 OLB's. TD has invested in some pretty good athletes. All they need is the experience that they are getting now and a strong DL in front of them.

At present, we have future interior LB's in Bartu, Worrilow, Thomas and Spoon.

So, we don't need to worry about pass rushers. The only pass rusher that should be considered is Clowney. And, that is because he is a rare talent. But, if he is off the board, TD only needs to concentrate on the big nasties.

This defense is ready to move to the 3-4 alignment and coincidentally, our 4-3 DT's have contracts that expire this off season. This is not by accident. TD will draft/sign the appropriate DL's and suddenly, our defense will step up...with or without Clowney.

I haven't gotten to see the falcons play much this season, but during preseason we had a DT no. 67 that ended up making the practice squad.....is he or has he gotten a shot at playing this yr? I think he looked pretty good during preseason

Adam Replogle? He is a huge bright spot in the PS. All Atlanta needs to do is to givce the kid a shot.

I agree they have there issues.

But if there turd like you say how exactly have we won as many games as we have the previous 5 years.

After rebuilding TURD pre 2008.

Have a look at the teams around us in the 2008 draft and compare there win loss v ours then if we are still TURD I don't no what you'd call them.