Falcons Dc Mike Nolan Contemplates His Future

birdz4i

FLOWERY BRANCH – While it appears that Boise State has zeroed in on Falcons’ offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter, Atlanta’s defensive coordinator Mike Nolan declined to say whether he plans to return in 2013.

The Falcons’ defense has been worse than its offense. Nolan has run the defense for seven different NFL teams since 1993.

“That’s the team’s decision, not mine. So that’s a question for later,” Nolan said.

If Koetter and Nolan are not back and head coach Mike Smith is retained, he would have his third set of coordinators. Koetter and Nolan followed Mike Mularkey and Brian VanGorder and have been in place for the past two seasons.

The Falcons’ defense has been hit by injuries even harder than the offense in 2013. As the losses have piled up, the team has played rookies more regularly.

On defense in Sunday’s 22-21 defeat at Green Bay, linebackers Paul Worrilow (71 snaps, 100 percent) and Joplo Bartu (25, 35 percent), defensive ends Malliciah Goodman (25, 35 percent) and Stansly Maponga (15, 21 percent), cornerbacks Desmond Trufant (71, 100 percent) and Robert Alford (71, 100 percent) and safety Zeke Motta (53, 75 percent) were rookies who all played major snaps.

Nolan said one positive for the season has been identifying unknown rookie talent such as Worrilow and Bartu, who both were signed as undrafted college free agents. Nolan said he also liked some of the schemes he came up with this year, even if the results didn’t show it.

“So going down the road, there are some things we did that we will be able to utilize in the future,” Nolan said. “And maybe it’s good they didn’t go so well because other people won’t be expecting us to use them, thinking, ‘Well, that couldn’t be anything they want to carry over.’”

http://www.ajc.com/w...tes-his-future/

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nolan: " I also like some of the schemes I came up with" 3-13....are you fkg kidding me???? this guy has had some totally disjointed interviews and pressers this year, he has been saying some really strange things. I guess he fits in perfect with the rest of this goon fest we run around here.

Nolan is a 3-4 guy . I don't care about the hybrid nonsense . Nolan is an overrated DC with to hat said he never had the correct pieces for the puzzle

He has the same MO everywhere he has been, has an upsurge right away and it seems everyone figures him out and he has no answers. Cant get away with that shyt in the NFL anymore. He is the same as the rest of the coaches here, we run vanilla crap and are exposed and then we cant adapt. No one can tell me different if you are honest, its as clear as it gets....against good coaching we are in over our heads. Period.

Firing Nolan would be stupid way beyond the pale.

2012 sask yourself, WTF did TD and Smitty give Nolan to work with?

2013 was Noland first draft and hence the first year of his defensive rebuild.

If you want to point fingers at the defense, then start with TD and Smitty.

Maybe we could also ask, who are the defensive coaches that Nolan brought with him,

and who Nolan got stuck with?

Firing Nolan would be stupid way beyond the pale.

2012 sask yourself, WTF did TD and Smitty give Nolan to work with?

2013 was Noland first draft and hence the first year of his defensive rebuild.

If you want to point fingers at the defense, then start with TD and Smitty.

Maybe we could also ask, who are the defensive coaches that Nolan brought with him,

and who Nolan got stuck with?

Im just stirring up shyt and trying to get to 800 posts....I think when you do they send you a sew on patch or a sticker don't they?

Nolan is a great DC and if it wasn't for the 49ers forcing him to get Alex Smith he would've had a few SB's...look at the staff he had...

Mike McCarthy

Sean Peyton

Mike Singletary

If he got Aaron Rodgers like he wanted, he would still be in SF. This man is better as a head coach than DC. If you want to criticize a man, at least check his resume and the pieces he had in place.

Edited by Macintez

Not Nolan's fault. I think he'll do a better job next year if the dline is retooled.

One of the causes that a lot of us have identified stem to Smitty.

Smitty has a hard time letting go.

Granted that the HC should have controll of the team, but there comes a point

where a HC can choke the life out of a team.

That has rang true this season because there was a stretch where Smitty

had totally lost the locker room; but he did manage to get the team back on track.

The other cause has been TD and player mismanagement (Smitty is guilty too).

But this one also stems from the top.

Blank is desperate for a Lombardi, and his dirrective pretty much forced TD to

draft Ryan, and that my friends is a dirrect fall out from Vick/Petrino/JA98.

Say what you will, but anytime a team goes through such a catastrophic event

you can pretty much figure 5 years to get a team back on its feet.

This crew did it in a few years, but now we have to rebuild the lines and that

will take a couple years before it solidifies.

So before we point the push through finger at Nolan, lets take the closer look. wink.png

we lost Spoon and Kroy .Both are good players but nothing special . This defense has been pretty bad all year and run defense is awful . Nolan needs to go but it wasn't all his fault

he never was able to implement his scheme cause the team was built to be a 4-3 team

Then give him a chance. Don't say he gots to go without giving the dude a chance, plus the hybrid has shown some flashes, but you cannot expect the defense to function with the ****** group we got. TD sabotaged the defense. downgrades Abe to Osi, does not bring back grimes, plus lets Dunta and Walker go, then you add injuries to guys like spoon, Kroy, Nic, etc.

But now we got some decent pieces, but we gotta build up the Line.

Cb alford : McClain

FS:

SS: Moore

CB: Trufant

WLB: Spoon

MLB: Worrilow : Dent

SLB : : Bartu

DE: : Goodman/Mopogostickga.

DT: Peters :

DT:

DE: Osi : Mass

We are missing a few pieces, but we can get those in the draft and FA and have a solid defense next year.

Let the dude get some players before judging his performance or scheme. We need talent on that side of the ball, and we need continuity.

...Koetter should be done, however.

If the defense had more than 2-3 talented players I be saying fire Nolan too, but it doesn't, even the best defensive players are just serviceable starters for the Falcons. Give the man some talent...... and get rid of the Sugar Bear who has been here a while.

A good OC can mask talent deficiency on offense. Nothing can mask it on D. We have no good players on defense and the few who show much promise are all rookies. I do not want Koetter or Smitty back but I don't think Nolan deserves to be fired. If he is, I won't be upset by it though. Maybe if nothing changes after yet another new set of coordinators are brought in people will start to open their eyes to the real issues with this team.

The injury bug was REALLY bad on defense this year. Nolan (unlike Koetter) has a proven track record of success in the NFL. I'm willing to give Nolan another shot.

The injuries also compounded on the problem of the defense being in a state of limbo between schemes as they get the necessary personnel. The defense is currently in a sad state but I like the direction Nolan is taking it based on the success of the LEO 4-3 has had with other teams, namely Seattle, and his track record of building quality defenses. Patience is difficult but people need to have it with the defense.