Falcons Coordinators: Expectations Not Met (E S P N)

BankerBird™

Looks like the "Smittyspeak" is prevalent throughout the rank and file coaching staff. dry.png File this one under the "understatement of the year" category. rolleyes.gif

Falcons coordinators: Expectations not met

December, 10, 2013

Dec 10

7:30

PM ET

By Vaughn McClure | ESPN.com

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Coordinators Dirk Koetter and Mike Nolan are far from satisfied with the performance of their respective units as the 3-10 Atlanta Falcons prepare for their final three games of the 2013 season.

Koetter, who is a candidate for the head-coaching position at Boise State, realizes the offense hasn't met expectations coming off last season's 13-3 campaign. Losing top receiver Julio Jones to a season-ending foot injury hasn't helped the cause. Koetter hasn't had Roddy White and Steven Jackson at 100 percent for the entire season. Plus the coach has had to work around poor play along the offensive line.

"Personally, it's tough on everybody when you don't live up to your own expectations," Koetter said. "I know (coach Mike Smith) tells you guys all the time that nobody has higher expectations for the Falcons than the players and the coaches do. So, we haven't lived up to expectations. We have not played as well as we're capable of on offense. And when you're a football player or football coach, losing -- whether you like it or not -- it works on your ego side.

"But basically, life is good. I'm a football coach in the NFL. I'm doing what I love to do and I'm working with great, great guys; players and coaches. But we need to win more games, plain and simple."

The Falcons offense is 20th in red zone percentage, 29th in scoring, 24th in goal-to goal, and 30th in rushing going into Sunday's game against the Washington Redskins.

Defensively, the Falcons have surrendered too many explosive runs and pass plays. Nolan's unit ranks 30th in rushing defense, 29th in scoring defense, and 26th in total defense.

"It's been a difficult (season), but I think it's been difficult for everyone for a lot of different reasons," Nolan said. "You know, the injuries that you face, there have been other seasons -- I've been in it 27 years, so I'd be lying to tell you I haven't had others years that were difficult.

"But I have thought that during the season we've had -- it would not show -- but I really think there have been some game plans that I've really been pleased with as far as giving our players a chance. And so going down the road, there are some things that we did that, I think, we'll be able to utilize in the future. And maybe good they didn't go so well because other people won't be expecting us to use them thinking, 'Well, that couldn't have been anything they wanted to carry over.' "

http://espn.go.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/2636/falcons-coordinators-know-expectations-not-met

I couldn't imagine us carrying anything over from this season. Everything from the GM's bad decisions, the coaches schemes, play calling and development of personnel, the players and their S and C and execution of plays to the total lack of urgency from the entire franchise. A complete and total failure.

This is loaded....

"But I have thought that during the season we've had -- it would not show -- but I really think there have been some game plans that I've really been pleased with as far as giving our players a chance. And so going down the road, there are some things that we did that, I think, we'll be able to utilize in the future. And maybe good they didn't go so well because other people won't be expecting us to use them thinking, 'Well, that couldn't have been anything they wanted to carry over.' "

What I get there is: The game plan(s) often gave players a chance to make plays and they failed (often) so the strategies were sound, but the players either aren't 'ready for prime time' or some of the players just aren't the players we need out there.

This is loaded....

What I get there is: The game plan(s) often gave players a chance to make plays and they failed (often) so the strategies were sound, but the players either aren't 'ready for prime time' or some of the players just aren't the players we need out there.

Translation: "It's not my fault the offense sucks."

30th in rush defense. You can't win if you can't stop the run game. Everyone goes for 100+ on the ground versus us. We need a DT bad should've kept Vance. He didn't collapse the pocket much but he could get a push in the middle to force plays outside. I think that's what's wrong with our D. On offense we need better Tackles.

30th in rush defense. You can't win if you can't stop the run game. Everyone goes for 100+ on the ground versus us. We need a DT bad should've kept Vance. He didn't collapse the pocket much but he could get a push in the middle to force plays outside. I think that's what's wrong with our D. On offense we need better Tackles.

Good point about the need for DTs. Seems like everyone around here is focusing on the DE position, but, if you can't get a push from the middle, teams will just continue to run the ball right down our throats like they're doing right now.

Good point about the need for DTs. Seems like everyone around here is focusing on the DE position, but, if you can't get a push from the middle, teams will just continue to run the ball right down our throats like they're doing right now.

I agree. We have drafted alot of DEs. I know, i know, they havent been 1st round talents, but we realy need a DT too stuff the run, demand double teams, and collapse the pocket. Thst was originally why we drafted Jerry. Anyway get a NT 1st so we can have a good interior lineman for our hybrid looks.

I've been as critical as anyone on this board about the way we put together gameplans, but there is something to be said about the tools these guys have worked with this year.

Saying "Build me a bookshelf" is one thing. Saying "build me a bookshelf but you're only allowed to use a wrench, a pair of scissors, this roll of ducktape and some binder clips" is another. "Oh, the saws and nail guns and t-squares? They're broken. Tough it out!"

Even with Vance last season we have up 1 or 2 big explosive runs a game last season. The main problem against the run this season is the line backing unit changed drastically and they're making many rookie mistakes even while playing well. Last year it was spoon, dent and nic. All decent against the run. The good thing is I think they'll be much much better next season. Worillow and Bartu are keepers to me. I think we do need one nasty DT tho. He doesn't have to be 340. You can be 340 and be soft as cookie dough. Thing about fat boys is they will tire out if you keep running at him with screens and misdirections. Fatboys HATE zone blocking too. We need MEAN N NASTY!!! Sapp was the same size as our DT's. The difference? Mean n nasty. There are mean n nasty guys out there. TD just has to take a chance with one. We're the smartest team in the nfl but 32 when it comes to mean n nasty. In short, we need a guy that opposing coaches will say "don't argue with that guy or piss him off". Which is what coaches would tell their guys about sapp. We have NOT ONE sh!t talker on the Dline at DT. Mass seams to have that. I'm liking what I'm seeing from him.

Edited by TheFatboi

And 32nd in getting off the field on 3rd downs.

Translation: "It's not my fault the offense sucks."

Please see above.

Yes! If we get the dominant DT needed the DEs we have now would look better immediately.

I've been as critical as anyone on this board about the way we put together gameplans, but there is something to be said about the tools these guys have worked with this year.

Saying "Build me a bookshelf" is one thing. Saying "build me a bookshelf but you're only allowed to use a wrench, a pair of scissors, this roll of ducktape and some binder clips" is another. "Oh, the saws and nail guns and t-squares? They're broken. Tough it out!"

this is ripe with excuses

the failcants dont even have the most injuries in the league.

the pats have 10 wins while losing 15 players, that's superior coaching and managment

dimtridumbass sold the farm and you can see why, might as well get rid of the draft picks to relieve the pressure of grabbing solid players