Remember A Few Years Ago?

fansince78

The Falcons could be trailing by 2 scores with just a couple of minutes left and you still had the feeling they were going to come back and win and they did. There was no TG or Julio, but there was a fire in the players and a loss was unacceptable to them.

This year, the team can be up by 11 at the half and you just have that feeling deep down that they were going to blow it and they do. There is not even any smoke left from the fire that was once there. Another loss is no big deal.

If Smith is not to blame for that, I guess Mr. Blank will have to take the heat for it.

The Falcons could be trailing by 2 scores with just a couple of minutes left and you still had the feeling they were going to come back and win and they did. There was no TG or Julio, but there was a fire in the players and a loss was unacceptable to them.

This year, the team can be up by 11 at the half and you just have that feeling deep down that they were going to blow it and they do. There is not even any smoke left from the fire that was once there. Another loss is no big deal.

If Smith is not to blame for that, I guess Mr. Blank will have to take the heat for it.

Bro. We had a different offensive coordinator then.

The grass ain't greener...

Guest Negatorris

We've been blowing leads since Smitty got here. Ryan and Bryant would usually pull out some magic and make Mike Smith look better than he was.

Also Michael Jenkins was clutch. Unlike fumbly stumbly Harry Douglas.

The biggest difference was the Oline and DLines were much better. Plus we had more balance on offense. Now we can't stop the run, run the ball or protect the QB.

Bingo.

The downside of MM offense was that is wasn't very exciting. The upside is that he leaned on defenses for four quarters. We don't challenge anyone physically. We can score points quickly, but we don't wear down anyone over time.

I believe there is a balance between the two approaches. I beleive you should be able to consistently lean on an opponent, and then break their spirit with a quick strike when they get frustrated and attempt to bow up on you.

If we make enough changes in the offseason that we can run for a 3.5 average, AND convert 3rd and 2 running any time we chose to, we would look like a totally different team. Look at the way our recievers get mugged at the line on 3rd and short. If you can run for two yards when you need to, that doesn't happen.

...and the games were won but a team of unknowns...I think 2013 can be an unfortunate exception to an otherwise long run but we can't keep buying stars at peak value. Smitty needs to instill some discipline and we need to be able to spot raw talent to keep the salary cap in check. Tom Brady refused a higher salary years ago to keep the cap down. The result was a Legacy for the Patriots. Who is the leader on our team willing to put the success of the organization 1st? You called it correct, it was the fire in the players.

All the ground and pound, run, run, pass, punt stuff worked for awhile until Green Bay came in here and blew our doors off. That's when we realized we couldn't keep up when a team went bombs away on us. Look to the west and New Orleans is doing the same shyt inside our own division. The change was needed. However, somewhere down the line, we got the idea that a defense was not needed. Not sure who was handing out that type of crack that day, but I'd like to get my hands on them.

The biggest difference was the Oline and DLines were much better. Plus we had more balance on offense. Now we can't stop the run, run the ball or protect the QB.

O line was much better while D line has always been a work in progress. Our O line blocked real well for Turner, allowing Smitty to control the clock. This one factor, along with protecting the ball and playing for the most part penalty free offense, kept our offense on the field. And of course we did score a lot of points. Having one of the best FG kickers in the league sure helped.

Opposing teams would get behind. That made THEM become more one dimensional having to throw the ball. Our D line has always done well if it is just defending the run, it is average defending the pass....but does not do both at the same time very well at all.

Hard to say which will be harder, rebuilding the O line or the D line.

...and the games were won but a team of unknowns...I think 2013 can be an unfortunate exception to an otherwise long run but we can't keep buying stars at peak value. Smitty needs to instill some discipline and we need to be able to spot raw talent to keep the salary cap in check. Tom Brady refused a higher salary years ago to keep the cap down. The result was a Legacy for the Patriots. Who is the leader on our team willing to put the success of the organization 1st? You called it correct, it was the fire in the players.

TD assured out cap situation would go bad when he traded more than an entire draft's worth of picks to select Julio. Instead of having cheaper and perhaps better young players, TD was forced to stick with Baker, Nicholas, DeCoud, Reynolds....

And the Julio trade ramifications are not over yet. We may very well see Jerry being re-signed this off season. Hawley and Johnson too.

This team definitely played with more fire and passion in 08. Had an edge, a chip on its shoulders. They gradually lost it as Smittyball completely took over.

this, smith will never change and it will already cost the falcons some games. smith gets that 10 point lead and sits on it, instead of going for the jugular like some other coaches

I recognized this alot this year and even while MM and BVG as coaches. SMH