Transition To The 3-4

autigerfan

As bad as we have played in different facets, I think Nolan will be back as DC in 2013. This becomes more likely if we lose Koetter to Boise State as a short leashed Smith will want some semblance of continuity on the coaching staff.

If Nolan is back, I wouldn't be suprised to see him shake things up and go full on with the 3-4. We have some impending decisions to make on this side of the ball. This is how it could look.

Cuts:

Asante Samuel - Asante can't stay on the field and has been out shined by the rookies.

Osi Umenyoira - Osi has been productive but hasn't upgraded our defense over Abe. Going on 33 he is a misfit for the 3-4 scheme.

Re-sign:

Corey Peters - He has the girth to fit into the 3-4 defensive front as a five technique. Some teams scouted him at that position in 2010 coming out of Kentucky.

Robert McClain - He has been more than serviceable the last couple of years and provides good depth with Alford taking over on the outside to replace Samuel.

Free Agency:

BJ Raji - He is coming off a down year but would be the perfect fit in the middle of the 3 man front.

Draft:

1) Anthony Barr

Here's how our starting defense could potentially look:

DE - Corey Peters

NT - BJ Raji

DE - Malliciah Goodman

OLB - Kroy Beirmann

LILB - Paul Worrilow

RILB - Sean Weatherspoon

ROLB - Anthony Barr

CB - Desmon Trufant

SS - William Moore

FS - Thomas Decoud

CB - Robert Alford

Stay away from Barr, we aren't switching to a full force 3-4

I struggled with the pick. I like Khalil Mack as well but Barr seems to be the better pure pass rusher which I think we need the most. Mack is a more versatile defender but we already have a few of these. (Biermann, Bartu notably.)

I struggled with the pick. I like Khalil Mack as well but Barr seems to be the better pure pass rusher which I think we need the most. Mack is a more versatile defender but we already have a few of these. (Biermann, Bartu notably.)

I think you have it mixed up, mack is the better pass rusher, Barr will be better of in a 4-3, but he is lookin like the next arron curry

There would have to be absolutely no value there for me to get excited about ANY pick other than an O-Lineman in round 1

I also think that drafting lineman early is the best thing for the team. Any rb would fail behind the line we have. Gotta start paying attention to the trenches. Next pick would have to be a dt that has good rushing skills, stout against the run, and commands double teams.

As bad as we have played in different facets, I think Nolan will be back as DC in 2013. This becomes more likely if we lose Koetter to Boise State as a short leashed Smith will want some semblance of continuity on the coaching staff.

If Nolan is back, I wouldn't be suprised to see him shake things up and go full on with the 3-4. We have some impending decisions to make on this side of the ball. This is how it could look.

Cuts:

Asante Samuel - Asante can't stay on the field and has been out shined by the rookies.

Osi Umenyoira - Osi has been productive but hasn't upgraded our defense over Abe. Going on 33 he is a misfit for the 3-4 scheme.

Re-sign:

Corey Peters - He has the girth to fit into the 3-4 defensive front as a five technique. Some teams scouted him at that position in 2010 coming out of Kentucky.

Robert McClain - He has been more than serviceable the last couple of years and provides good depth with Alford taking over on the outside to replace Samuel.

Free Agency:

BJ Raji - He is coming off a down year but would be the perfect fit in the middle of the 3 man front.

Draft:

1) Anthony Barr

Here's how our starting defense could potentially look:

DE - Corey Peters

NT - BJ Raji

DE - Malliciah Goodman

OLB - Kroy Beirmann

LILB - Paul Worrilow

RILB - Sean Weatherspoon

ROLB - Anthony Barr

CB - Desmon Trufant

SS - William Moore

FS - Thomas Decoud

CB - Robert Alford

Wow you still got DeCoud in there he's reaching the mythical point of hatred only matched by Sackmaker who probably still reigns supreme in those stakes.

I look at the talent for the 2014 draft and I see so many guys that fit as 3-4 OLBs. Besides Clowney, I don't really see a lot of guys that go 6' 4'' and at least 255 that have the quickness to play 4-3 DE. Also, the fact taht our 3 main DTs don't have deals means that it would be the easiest as we would not have those "misfit" 4-3 DTs trying to play in the 3-4. We already have Nolan. Spoon and Worrilow could play inside. Spoon is flexible and could stay outside if needed.

Weatherspoon would stay outside and Dent would man the other ILB spot, coming off the field in passing situations. It's a perfect defense for Dent to play to his strong suit. Further, with 3 DT's becoming FA's it's the perfect time to make such a move but I still am not convinced we'd go that way with our recent DE selections...

Weatherspoon would stay outside and Dent would man the other ILB spot, coming off the field in passing situations. It's a perfect defense for Dent to play to his strong suit. Further, with 3 DT's becoming FA's it's the perfect time to make such a move but I still am not convinced we'd go that way with our recent DE selections...

I think only way I could believe us fully switching to a 3-4 would be if we drafted Clowney or Mack,more likely Mack tho unless we look to add Hageman and not sign any of our DTs.and signing a big DT in Raji or Soliai.

I think only way I could believe us fully switching to a 3-4 would be if we drafted Clowney or Mack,more likely Mack tho unless we look to add Hageman and not sign any of our DTs.and signing a big DT in Raji or Soliai.

Not so sure clowney can play a 3-4 at this point. same as with abe when the jets went 3-4

Not so sure clowney can play a 3-4 at this point. same as with abe when the jets went 3-4

I think he would be able to, he is better suited as a hand in the dirt rusher, but he is athletic enough to stand up, something Osi and Abe are not. But yea I could agree, now if we skip on clowney and trade down for Mack or Hageman, that could turn interesting and we could be I'm for a 3-4 switch

Goodman can play the 5 technique and the other guys Mass/Maponga are more or less tweeners that would fit as rush lb's.

Goodman can play the 5 technique and the other guys Mass/Maponga are more or less tweeners that would fit as rush lb's.

yea that is true, have Goodman and peters at DE, make sure u add a NT in Free agency an the draft. Keep spoon on the outside with worrillow and Dent on the inside. Draft Mack or Clowney to lineup opposite spoon. Mass and Maponga become back up situational rushers to spoon and Clowney

Guest Cally307a

Raji is great, but why is decoud still starting

I think we need to switch to 3-4 for sure

its easier to fill the lb need through fa and in the draft and less expensive than it is to find 2 stud defensive ends and a stud NT and be able to afford them with 100 million dollar qb and big money wrs

we def need to rid ourselves of decoud. Just watching Troy P make game changing play after play and fly around the field shows me what we are missing back there at S position.

Guest King Jigsaw

Ugh, no. There's a huge difference in "I wish we would go to a 3-4" or "I personally prefer a 3-4" and "we're totally moving to a 3-4 next year."

For someone that says continuity will be the key in keeping Nolan around, a scheme change sure does seem to contradict that.

Ugh, no. There's a huge difference in "I wish we would go to a 3-4" or "I personally prefer a 3-4" and "we're totally moving to a 3-4 next year."

For someone that says continuity will be the key in keeping Nolan around, a scheme change sure does seem to contradict that.

Nolan has lots of experience running a 3-4 so him sticking around would be key in a switch

Wow you still got DeCoud in there he's reaching the mythical point of hatred only matched by Sackmaker who probably still reigns supreme in those stakes.

DeCoud will suffice. He is not the type of safety than can do both run support and ball jawking. I think if he could focus more on air support with better lb and dline play the defense would be ok. Our secondary looks solid. We have to solidify the trenches.

Edited by Falcon Fantom

We are not, I repeat, NOT moving to a 3-4. We are moving to a LEO 4-3 (aka. the defense Seattle runs). People get confused because it combines concepts from both formations. This is where all the DT fronts are coming from yet why we continue to have three OLBs. Here is a good post explaining it with pictures of the defensive front:

We are not, I repeat, NOT moving to a 3-4. We are moving to a LEO 4-3 (aka. the defense Seattle runs). People get confused because it combines concepts from both formations. This is where all the DT fronts are coming from yet why we continue to have three OLBs. Here is a good post explaining it with pictures of the defensive front:

http://boards.atlant...20#entry8135614

Beat me to it. LOL!!!

EDIT: Let me just say, the Ravens have been doing something similar for years and its pretty effective. Its an awesome system.