Stickin' With My Coach, My Quarterback, My General Manager, Etc.

Supes™

there's a difference between wanting someone to fail and seeing it coming a mile away. Its cool to hate TD now but when the realists were pointing out the boneheadedness of dunta, ray, baker, jenkins, jerry,Sidbury, etc etc we were called trolls not unlike the situation we have with Ryan. Dudes good but not near great or elite and likely never will be. So far, 6 seasons in, Ryan has done nothing to alleviate the issues realists have with him. Lack of tools athleticism heart and guts. I loved Ryan in 08 but this was turners team. Now with Julio hurt, we realize its Julios team not Ryan's. I get it when people say he needs this and that but those things cost money. A luxury we Dont have considering he's being paid like a guy who can overcome major team issues. All the toys ryanettes say he needs to succeed would put any mediocre qb over the top. Elite receiving corps defense and run game. When they say these things they Dont even realize

They're basically calling him dilfer.

This pretty much sums it up. Our leadership in Dimitroff, Smith, and Ryan are all good, but not great. This past year they haven't even been good. Smith is a great coach when he's playing smash mouth football. Unfortunately, that's not the way the league is any more. Ryan is a great quarterback when he has a great supporting cast. Unfortunately, he's being paid too much to have a great supporting cast now. Dimitroff is great at scouting, he just limits his board way too much and I honestly think there is a philosophical disconnect in what schemes Dimitroff and Smith both want. These guys have all had a good run, but it's time to find new leadership that is aggressive, talented, and above all relevant and even cutting edge for today's NFL.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there's a difference between wanting someone to fail and seeing it coming a mile away. Its cool to hate TD now but when the realists were pointing out the boneheadedness of dunta, ray, baker, jenkins, jerry,Sidbury, etc etc we were called trolls not unlike the situation we have with Ryan. Dudes good but not near great or elite and likely never will be. So far, 6 seasons in, Ryan has done nothing to alleviate the issues realists have with him. Lack of tools athleticism heart and guts. I loved Ryan in 08 but this was turners team. Now with Julio hurt, we realize its Julios team not Ryan's. I get it when people say he needs this and that but those things cost money. A luxury we Dont have considering he's being paid like a guy who can overcome major team issues. All the toys ryanettes say he needs to succeed would put any mediocre qb over the top. Elite receiving corps defense and run game. When they say these things they Dont even realize

All Ryan needs right now is some blocking up front.. period. play around with the categories here http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/completionPct I guess it depends on how you rank Qbs whether it be wins or completion percentage.. Matt is in the top 10 or even 5 in several categories.

I am with you Supes.

It is amazing how people who profess to be fans of the organization yet belittle every single accomplishment this team has had the past 6 years. And the first sign of trouble, and one bad year and all of a sudden the winning-est GM ,coach, and QB in the conference over have a decade some how do not know what they are doing.. It would be different if we were only good for a year or 2 like maybe the 08 phins or something.... but we have been one of the very best football teams for 5 years.. FIVE ( which is about the brain cell count of a lot of the trolls that the mods have let run untamed here this year)

People want to bash Td's picks and signings but there have been FAR more hits than there have been misses.... and it is not even close.

Despite out record we do not have as many holes as people think and with potentially 10 draft picks and somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 million to spend in FA and only a few guys who are FA likely to be brought back ( peters is the only one that jumps to mind ) there is ZERO...... and i mean ZERO reason why we will not be back in the 11-13 win rang next year provided we stay healthy and have some luck ( which every team needs)

With so many young talented players getting their trial by fire at the same time then that does nothing but bode well for us moving forward.

We WILL be back in the next next year..... and you you not like it simply GFTO.

Of course I want them to succeed in 2014. There is no question about that.

However, I have very serious doubts about whether MIke Smith has what it takes to win a championship. The more I see from Smith, his ultra conservative play calls and poor game and time management decisions, the more convinced I become that he is a liability.

I also think that Smith's approach is fundamentally inconsistent with that taken by TD when building the roster. Dimitroff has built a team designed to overwhelm opponents with its skilled position talent, and has done so at the expense of the defense. To have any chance to succeed with that approach, we need an aggressive Head Coach, who will try to ride the offense to victory. Instead, we have a risk averse coach who stifles his offense and relies on his weaker defensive unit to preserve leads when he gets 2 scores up.

Smith's approach and mentality is better suited to a team with a physical defense and smash mouth running game. Smith is who he is, and I have no confidence on him changing to better utilise our offensive talent. Therefore, if we are going to stick with Smith, we are going to need a major rebuild to get the type of team that he has the best chance to succeed with.

I have a lot more faith in TD than in Smith. For all the criticism he gets in here, every article I've seen comparing TD to his peers, has show that he grades out very well (within the top 10) in terms of the number of picks who make the roster and playing time that they get. TD's biggest mistakes have been in his draft philosophy, rather than a lack of ability to scout players and identify talent. Those philosophical mistakes are fixable, provided that TD is given a free reign to do so, and is not being dictated to by ownership.

I desperately want the team to succeed next year, but (unless the above issues are addressed) part of me thinks that winning 10/11 games and exiting the playoffs early next year might be bad thing - if it results in the preservation of the status quo.

Totally agree with all of the above. I do not like Smittyball. It's too backward, boring and simplistic, and it's too predictable and unproductive to beat the top-tier teams. If you can't beat the top-tier teams, it doesn't matter how many regular season wins you pile up, you're going to get bounced out of the play-offs in the first round every year. If we see a repeat of that old familiar situation next season, or if we fail to make the play-offs, then Blank has to fire Smith.

I haven't been saying as much lately due to some health problems and I'm not sure that I'll even be here for next season and THIS might get me banned but this is for all you Vick fans that have came back to troll the boards this season and for Swift the lying attention HO whos a legend in his own mind.

Get wih the team and behind team or STFU Im tired of hearing same two faced arguments that either way you can claim to have been right the whole time.

Chit or get off the pot, haven t got the guts to be a team fan.........find another team , we would be better off without you

sam

I haven't been saying as much lately due to some health problems and I'm not sure that I'll even be here for next season and THIS might get me banned but this is for all you Vick fans that have came back to troll the boards this season and for Swift the lying attention HO whos a legend in his own mind.

Get wih the team and behind team or STFU Im tired of hearing same two faced arguments that either way you can claim to have been right the whole time.

Chit or get off the pot, haven t got the guts to be a team fan.........find another team , we would be better off without you

sam

Sam, hope those health problems get resolved my man. I'm glad I came back for this one day if only to see a post from you my brother. God bless.

The thing about that statement is, folks here measure success in different ways. Some here would say only a Super Bowl win would make them happy, when its more than obvious we are a couple seasons away from that.

And of course a lot of folks here want Smitty gone for losing all these regular season games this year. The same folks would say they also want Smitty gone for losing playoff games.

If you point out that Smitty is second to Belichik in wins for five seasons and you have to win in the regular season to get to the playoffs, anit-Smittys say the regular season isn't important. Those same folks will say Smitty should be fired..... for losing regular season games this season.

Therefore in belittling Smitty's regular season success the anti-Smitty's show they have an agenda to get Smitty fired based more on emotion, not logic and fact. Lets hope AB doesn't make emotional decisions too.

I would assume you are referring to me since you replied to a post that Supes directed towards me. You couldn't possibly be more wrong. You are out to left field with you assumptions. I hate the way he coaches. I hate his mentality. I hate his demeanor. I hate how he refuses to hold players accountable. I hate how the team comes out flat in the third quarter game after game and he can't fix it. I hate how conservative he is. Take read at Gritz post, he puts it a little more eloquently. Your talking about wins and losses. We are talking about coaching ability and the potential or lack there of to coach the team to a Super Bowl. I'm not saying that he has to win the Super Bowl every year to make me happy, but I have to feel like there is the potential to win the Super Bowl in any given year. I don't get that feeling with him at the helm. It always feels like no lead is safe, because it's not.

Good points, agree the Falcons organization is greater than one player or coach. AB understands business and he should be able to identify talent. Should be 3 measurements: Preparation- are the plays executed properly and do the players have the physical stamina to go all four qtrs.; Can the coach inspire/motivate- Is he getting an all-in approach by everyone of his players. Is he building the fire at half time for a 2nd half rally. Is he winning out of the locker room.; Adjustments: Is he adjusting the offense to take what the defense is giving and vice versa. Does he keep running the same unfruitful plays or is he keeping the opposing coaches off balance. All of the above lead to success. Regardless, AB is allowing another chance and we have to hope it was a good decision.

When I think about the team these guys inherited when they arrived it gives me great hope that they can fix the problems.

Heck, they know what the problems are, and that's half the battle.

Fix the frigging lines!

They either fix the offensive line and improve the defensive line this off-season or I'll picket Flowery Branch for a straight week only taking bathroom breaks when necessary. I'll carry a Group 2 sign and wear a Fire 'em all T-Shirt designed by Gritz and Supes. I'll get a PokerSteve tattoo (temporary) and lead Group 2 into battle.

Enough is enough.

C'mon on Arthur. You promised me you wouldn't rest until you brought the city of Atlanta a championship. You're getting your stadium. Your a great philanthropist that has brought great joy to many. The only thing I ask for is a championship to bring me peace before I pass.

Make 'em woo some big boys.

Heck, they know what the problems are, and that's half the battle.

That seems to be the problem actually. We've had the same problems since they've been here, but they haven't properly identified and corrected them. Our holes have never been as glaring as they have been this year, but they've still been there. They continue to build from the outside in and fail to build lines, fail to adjust, fail to attack after the half. If they can TRULY identify their own personal shortcomings and bad decisions regarding this team, then I have NO doubt we can win with Smith and Dimitroff. I just don't think they can change enough.

That seems to be the problem actually. We've had the same problems since they've been here, but they haven't properly identified and corrected them. Our holes have never been as glaring as they have been this year, but they've still been there. They continue to build from the outside in and fail to build lines, fail to adjust, fail to attack after the half. If they can TRULY identify their own personal shortcomings and bad decisions regarding this team, then I have NO doubt we can win with Smith and Dimitroff. I just don't think they can change enough.

They've tried to fix the lines through the draft. They've just failed miserably.

There's no arguing that this has been a season to forget. Disappointing, miserable, abysmal,... all that. And there's no doubt that the Falcons need help on several fronts, specifically in the trenches. We desperately need some maulers 'n brawlers on the lines. We need better run and pass blocking, we need a better pass rush, better tackling, and we need an identity with an attitude that doesn't collapse in the 2nd half like a cheap lawn chair. These things are addressable in the draft and free agency, and the 2014 draft promises to be deep concerning our needs.

I'm not one to throw out the baby with the bath water and I think we have some very good pieces in place, especially on offense. And I think we have a very good coach! But look, folks, I'm no "blind homer". I salute the logo, not the man wearing it. Coaches, GM's and players come and go but the team will always be "the team". I'm stickin' with the nucleus of what we have now (Smith, TD, Ryan, etc.), not because I think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread and above criticism, but rather because I know and understand that these guys will be our leaders next season and I want them to succeed and not fail!

The worm turned on us this year and it's been hard to watch and experience, but it can turn back just as quickly. We saw it in 2008 when most "experts" had us winning one or two games and we ended up in the playoffs. And while our postseason play under Smitty and crew has been less than admirable, at least we were there and that's still worth mentioning,...in the playoffs 4 out of the previous 5 years. "Not good enough!", you say? "Mediocre!", you say? Nobody is a fan of mediocrity and we all want the same thing, a Lombardi (dammit!), just like every fan of every team in the NFL. But I think 4 out of the 5 previous seasons were at least a step above "mediocre", playoff failures aside.

So here's a simple question: Knowing that the nucleus of this team (more specifically, Smitty and TD), will remain intact at least through 2014, do you want them to succeed, or do you want them to fail because you want them fired now? Because if you want them to fail in 2014 because of 2013, you be sure and stay the hail outta my foxhole if WW III breaks out next week!

Agreed... Thanks for some straight talk.

Andrew Luck been hit 96 times compared to Ryan 74 times yet Luck and Colts heading to playoffs

and Luck has way less drop backs

This proves that Luck is not as good of a QB as Ryan. He is getting hit at a higher rate than Ryan, so he cannot get rid of the ball and is trying to force the play.

And, the colts will be lucky to win another game.

This might be the only post I've made on here this season, but since it was started by my good friend Supes and since the subject is such a serious one I thought I'd throw my opinion in the mix.

It's a given since I'm a lifelong Falcon fan I want this team to succeed...so to answer one of the apparent subset questions 'Do I want this team to succeed in 2014?" the answer from me is an obvious and enthusiastic yes.

Unfortunately though I have come to the conclusion that the combination of Smith and Dimitroff can only achieve a certain level of success....admirable regular season records which may or may not include NFC South titles as part of that package.

I don't believe this particular pairing can bring a Lombardi trophy to Atlanta. Dimitroff has a serious blind spot when it comes to picking for the trenches. This "cross-training Boy Scouts" handbook isn't working and needs to be thrown out. We need some beastly players along both lines and with only a couple of possible exceptions we don't have them.

Smith is a good "people manager" and a good organizational guy but he simply gets routinely out-coached by the Paytons, Reids and Belichicks of the NFL. He's way too much of a "play not to lose" kind of coach instead of being a "boot to the throat" guy. I think because he "plays not to lose" that filters down to the team and is one possible explanation as to why this team comes out so routinely flat every 3rd quarter. The end of the Seattle playoff game last year almost made me want to throw up. Smith and Ryan both looked like deer in the headlights....Frightened, scared.

I don't want a coach or a GM who "plays not to lose"....plays it safe, cross-trains players because they're missing on draft picks.

They have earned one offseason to right this ship....and in some sense I believe they will. We'll have a weaker schedule next year because of the horrible season we had and of course we'll be picking high in each round...

But these 2 men have been here for 6 seasons now. If I thought I saw any ability on either or both men's part to change their individual or collective way they approach building and fielding this team my support would be stronger. But I don't see it.

These 2 won't be the 2 who win a championship for Atlanta.

My opinion. Hope you all have a great Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Outstanding response.

I will stick by my latest theory. The last three weeks have seen a vast improvement in effort, and I think it is because the hangover from the last four postseason fails, especially last year's, is beginning to wear off. I believe the Falcons entered the season with burnout, and when thing started going wrong, mentally they just did not have it to stop the slide. An offseason without a postseason disaster to mull over, may be just what they need to rekindle the fire. With some obvious improvements in some areas, I expect a quick turnaround.

That said, if there has obviously been no progress or areas that need addressing have been ignored, I will then say it is time for them to go. If the obvious is not obvious to this regime, then there really is nothing more to say for them.

Edited by AREA51

This might be the only post I've made on here this season, but since it was started by my good friend Supes and since the subject is such a serious one I thought I'd throw my opinion in the mix.

It's a given since I'm a lifelong Falcon fan I want this team to succeed...so to answer one of the apparent subset questions 'Do I want this team to succeed in 2014?" the answer from me is an obvious and enthusiastic yes.

Unfortunately though I have come to the conclusion that the combination of Smith and Dimitroff can only achieve a certain level of success....admirable regular season records which may or may not include NFC South titles as part of that package.

I don't believe this particular pairing can bring a Lombardi trophy to Atlanta. Dimitroff has a serious blind spot when it comes to picking for the trenches. This "cross-training Boy Scouts" handbook isn't working and needs to be thrown out. We need some beastly players along both lines and with only a couple of possible exceptions we don't have them.

Smith is a good "people manager" and a good organizational guy but he simply gets routinely out-coached by the Paytons, Reids and Belichicks of the NFL. He's way too much of a "play not to lose" kind of coach instead of being a "boot to the throat" guy. I think because he "plays not to lose" that filters down to the team and is one possible explanation as to why this team comes out so routinely flat every 3rd quarter. The end of the Seattle playoff game last year almost made me want to throw up. Smith and Ryan both looked like deer in the headlights....Frightened, scared.

I don't want a coach or a GM who "plays not to lose"....plays it safe, cross-trains players because they're missing on draft picks.

They have earned one offseason to right this ship....and in some sense I believe they will. We'll have a weaker schedule next year because of the horrible season we had and of course we'll be picking high in each round...

But these 2 men have been here for 6 seasons now. If I thought I saw any ability on either or both men's part to change their individual or collective way they approach building and fielding this team my support would be stronger. But I don't see it.

These 2 won't be the 2 who win a championship for Atlanta.

My opinion. Hope you all have a great Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Overall, I agree with your point, but when all is said, I am interested to see how Dimitroff and Smith will do after a season like this. This season, if it was anything, was a wake up call. It exposed what they thought was working was not really what it appeared. If we can all atleast admit they are smart enough to turn the Falcons around in the first place, then they must be smart enough to recognize mistakes and learn from them. I want to see if they have, and not give up on a potentially talented duo on a big misconception.

I do not need to point out that history, from invention the of the light bulb to fielding a championship team, is littered with failed first attempts that talented people used as learning experiences to finally succeed.

Smith is a good coordinator but not a good coach despite his win/loss recored. He refuses to learn from his own mistakes. As good as the NFC is we need coaches that can utilize the talent on this team take it to the next level and he ain't it.

Edited by Xfactor

That's foolish . Andrew Luck has one of the quickest releases in the game and compact . His line is worst then ours by far the difference is Luck will look to make plays more down field then Ryan who checks down on first site of pressure

Colts line worse than Falcons line? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

There in't a worse line in the NFL right now...but you keep doin' your thing playah.

Your own post gives you away. You state that Luck looks downfield more. That says the "worse Colts line" is giving Luck that extra half to entire second to scan the field.

Edited by OutofyourFalconmind

Wow this is a pretty good post. I remember thinking the same way about Brad Johnson.

Matt Ryan doesn't look downfield at all . He is LAST IN LEAGUE in deep passing attempts plus you don't need extra time to look past 20 yards . You can have a a simple go route go past 20 yards on a 3 step drop back

Throws like this Ryan will NEVER MAKE OR ATTEMPT

lucktd6.gif

Do you even watch the Falcons at all. With Roddy banged up most of the year, Julio out and Tony G. a shadow of himself who is on the team that can even test the seams or run a straight fly or go? Plus, on this Luck snippet he has a fairly clean pocket with very little push right through the A gaps...a luxury Ryan is rarely afforded.

Rely on PFF or whomever you want. I'll let the years I have watched and studied the game and my own eyes tell me what I', seeing.....and unlike others on here I ain't gettin' into a long discussion with you. You always think you're right, never give any consideration to anyone else's point at all. It's a waste of my time.

Have a good day swift.