Falcons V. Redskins; Rg3 May Be Benched For Cousins

Bill Brasky

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10110834/mike-shanahan-washington-redskins-sit-robert-griffin-iii-rest-year

Mike Shanahan is still the coach of the Washington Redskins, but Robert Griffin III might not be the starting quarterback this week.

Shanahan said Monday that he was thinking about sitting Griffin for the rest of the season because of concern that the quarterback could be injured.

Shanahan points out Griffin has been sacked 24 times in five games, and that two of the Redskins' three remaining games will be played on artificial turf, including Sunday at Atlanta.

It's a change of pace of Shanahan's previous stance that Griffin needed as many game snaps as possible to improve.

Shanahan no longer spoke as if it's a given that he'll be coaching the Redskins next season. He says owner Dan Snyder will make that decision at the end of the season.

He said he had spoken to Snyder but refused to reveal the details of their conversation but did say he believes he has a good relationship with the owner.

He again refused to comment on ESPN's report that he was prepared to resign at the end of last season but changed his mind after Griffin suffered his knee injury in the playoff loss to the Seahawks.

Honestly, I don't know if this gives us a better chance or worse. We suck against mobile QB's, but RG3 hasn't been the same this year, and Cousins are shown flashes in his limited playing time.

not sure if what shanahan says matters.

Redskins looking into whether they could fire Mike Shanahan for cause and not pay him remaining $7 million.

http://sports.yahoo....53868--nfl.html

Sure, Shanny is trying to get fired, but I don't think the Redskins can win that inevitable lawsuit. Reporters not gonna name sources.

This is probably a move by Shannahan to see if they'll just get fed up and fire him, but I see the Redskins trying to wait him out until at least the end of the season.

Sure, Shanny is trying to get fired, but I don't think the Redskins can win that inevitable lawsuit. Reporters not gonna name sources.

This is probably a move by Shannahan to see if they'll just get fed up and fire him, but I see the Redskins trying to wait him out until at least the end of the season.

probably. i think his coaching days are coming to an end.

I am much more worried about cousins. RG33 is not very good. Shanahan ruined the poor kid. Besides the fact that cousins has done some pretty impressive things under center. If shanahan and their GM did one thing right it was to draft two QBs. It's like they knew RG3 was going down. They certainly played him that way , doomed for failure.