If Falcons Lose Out, Guaranteed To Get #2 Pick (Or Higher)

g-dawg

Current Standings/SOS:

1. Houston Texans (2-11) (.550)
  2. Washington Redskins (3-10) (Rams have pick)(.515)
  3. Atlanta Falcons (3-10) (.553)
  4. Minnesota Vikings (3-9-1) (.535)
  5. Jacksonville Jaguars (4-9) (.495)
  6. Cleveland Browns (4-9) (.510)
  7. Oakland Raiders (4-9) (.512)
  8. Buffalo Bills (4-9) (.529)
  9. Tampa Bay Bucs (4-9) (.570)
  10. Pittsburgh Steelers (5-8) (.488)

Falcons 2014 Draft Pick:

Best-Case Scenario: #2

Falcons lose out. If so, the best the Falcons could do is #2 overall as it seems likely that Texans will hold tiebreaker over Falcons and it seems impossible that the Texans would win two out of three games down the stretch when they have lost 11 in a row. Even though the Falcons are currently sitting at #3, if they lost to Redskins on Sunday, they would vault to the #2 position and pick ahead of Rams (who hold the Redskins pick).

Worst Case Scenario: #11

Falcons win the home games (Wash/Carolina) while losing in San Fran. This would place the Falcons at 5-11. Some of the teams that sit at 5-8 would win at least one more game - Falcons probably fall just outside of the top 10.

Likely Scenario: #6

The Falcons should win next week against an imploding Redskins team that is getting worse as the season progresses. Rumors are rampant that there is a riff between Shanahan/Owner/RGIII and when the Head Coach/Owner/QB are all going in different directions, the most likely result is losing out the year - my guess is Shanahan gets fired after the Falcons game. After that, Falcons likely lose out the year against playoff bound San Francisco and Carolina - two teams with stout defenses that will shut the Falcons down - I just hope Matt Ryan can get out of those two games without major injury. This would put the Falcons at 4-12. Vikes look to probably lose out their schedule and between the Jags, Bills, Raiders, Browns at least half those teams(2) would likely lose out as well. This would put the draft order as follows:

1. Houston Texans (2-14)
  2. St Louis Rams (f/ Wash - 3-13)
  3. Minnesota Vikings (3-12-1)
  4. Raiders/Browns/Bills or Jags (4-12) - Bills and Jags play each other, therefore one of these teams wins 5 games
  5. Raiders/Browns/Bills or Jags (4-12)
  6. Atlanta Falcons (4-12) - Raiders, Browns, Bills Jags all have tiebreaker on Falcons with SOS

Current Standings/SOS:

1. Houston Texans (2-11) (.550)
  2. Washington Redskins (3-10) (Rams have pick)(.515)
  3. Atlanta Falcons (3-10) (.553)
  4. Minnesota Vikings (3-9-1) (.535)
  5. Jacksonville Jaguars (4-9) (.495)
  6. Cleveland Browns (4-9) (.510)
  7. Oakland Raiders (4-9) (.512)
  8. Buffalo Bills (4-9) (.529)
  9. Tampa Bay Bucs (4-9) (.570)
  10. Pittsburgh Steelers (5-8) (.488)

Falcons 2014 Draft Pick:

Best-Case Scenario: #2

Falcons lose out. If so, the best the Falcons could do is #2 overall as it seems likely that Texans will hold tiebreaker over Falcons and it seems impossible that the Texans would win two out of three games down the stretch when they have lost 11 in a row. Even though the Falcons are currently sitting at #3, if they lost to Redskins on Sunday, they would vault to the #2 position and pick ahead of Rams (who hold the Redskins pick).

Worst Case Scenario: #11

Falcons win the home games (Wash/Carolina) while losing in San Fran. This would place the Falcons at 5-11. Some of the teams that sit at 5-8 would win at least one more game - Falcons probably fall just outside of the top 10.

Likely Scenario: #6

The Falcons should win next week against an imploding Redskins team that is getting worse as the season progresses. Rumors are rampant that there is a riff between Shanahan/Owner/RGIII and when the Head Coach/Owner/QB are all going in different directions, the most likely result is losing out the year - my guess is Shanahan gets fired after the Falcons game. After that, Falcons likely lose out the year against playoff bound San Francisco and Carolina - two teams with stout defenses that will shut the Falcons down - I just hope Matt Ryan can get out of those two games without major injury. This would put the Falcons at 4-12. Vikes look to probably lose out their schedule and between the Jags, Bills, Raiders, Browns at least half those teams(2) would likely lose out as well. This would put the draft order as follows:

1. Houston Texans (2-14)
  2. St Louis Rams (f/ Wash - 3-13)
  3. Minnesota Vikings (3-12-1)
  4. Raiders/Browns/Bills or Jags (4-12) - Bills and Jags play each other, therefore one of these teams wins 5 games
  5. Raiders/Browns/Bills or Jags (4-12)
  6. Atlanta Falcons (4-12) - Raiders, Browns, Bills Jags all have tiebreaker on Falcons with SOS

Thank you for putting this together

this team is finishing 3-13. I hate to say it, but I believe it. RG3 is a runner, and being in the dome will help that.

The Falcons are the perfect rebound for a struggling team it seems.

That leaves the question, do the Falcons take Clowney, or trade the pick for a wealth of draft picks? Personally, I think they stay put, unless they can get a ton and still stay top 5-7 in the order. That is possible wth the ammo a team like CLE has. I could see CLE trying to move all the way up to #1 though honestly.

1) CLE (via HOU) - Bridgewater

2) ATL - I would guess Clowney or trade out.

3) MIN - this could be a wildcard. QB, Matthews or Clowney are likely.

If we can be a trade partner w/ CLE and still get somelike like Hageman or a OT I would be cool with that too. But needing a DE, and Blank loving the big name, I really think Clowney is the guy, barring anything unforseen happening.

For fun, let's say it goes like this:

1. Houston Texans - Teddy Bridgewater-QB, Louisville
  2. St. Louis Rams - Jake Matthews-LT, Texas A&M
  3. Minnesota Vikings - Jadeveon Clowney, DE-South Carolina
  4. Oakland Raiders - Johnny Manziel, QB-Texas A&M
  5. Buffalo Bills - Khalil Mack, OLB-Buffalo
  6. Atlanta Falcons -

This would be problematic if Falcons were #6 overall and their top 3 targets (Clowney/Matthews/Mack) were all off the board. In that scenario, I would desperately try to trade back.

Guest King Jigsaw

Thank you for putting this together

Thank you for unnecessarily doubling the length of the thread by quoting the OP just to say thank you.

Us mobile users really appreciate it. We honestly had no idea what your comment was referring to so it was great that you quoted it for us so we would know for sure.

So is their an offensive Linemen or fat huge DT worth taking in the top 5 this year? If not trade down and fix the oline and dline with the extra picks.

If both lines aren't fixed this off season I hope ?blanks fires TD on the spot. I'm tierd of Ryan having .2 seconds to throw the ball and running for his life, tired of no running game and tired of no pressure on the QB.

Guest King Jigsaw

This would be problematic if Falcons were #6 overall and their top 3 targets (Clowney/Matthews/Mack) were all off the board. In that scenario, I would desperately try to trade back.

You don't think the Bills would take Barr over Mack?

this team is finishing 3-13. I hate to say it, but I believe it. RG3 is a runner, and being in the dome will help that.

The Falcons are the perfect rebound for a struggling team it seems.

That leaves the question, do the Falcons take Clowney, or trade the pick for a wealth of draft picks? Personally, I think they stay put, unless they can get a ton and still stay top 5-7 in the order. That is possible wth the ammo a team like CLE has. I could see CLE trying to move all the way up to #1 though honestly.

1) CLE (via HOU) - Bridgewater

2) ATL - I would guess Clowney or trade out.

3) MIN - this could be a wildcard. QB, Matthews or Clowney are likely.

If we can be a trade partner w/ CLE and still get somelike like Hageman or a OT I would be cool with that too. But needing a DE, and Blank loving the big name, I really think Clowney is the guy, barring anything unforseen happening.

hope you are right about the Skins game but don't think so. Roddy is coming on, SJAX is finding his rhythm, Tony G. is going to have another big game at some point and Worrilow/Spoon are playing well at LB while Trufant/Alford are getting better by the day......Falcons will win on Sunday - I wish it was not so, but think they will win - probably by 10 points or more.

Guest King Jigsaw

No....for obvious reasons. Mack is a better player than Barr.

I agree, but who's to say that their boards will match our own? Barr is nearly unanimously ranked higher than Mack and could be the pick.

I would rather pick Mack at #6 if he is still available. If not, get out of the top 10 and hope to come away with Hageman.

If the Falcons are in the top 3 and Clowney is available, you take him period. Him having a bone spur is better than him being a bone head. We need elite athleticism on defense.

Clowney, Mack, and Hageman have it in spades for their positions.

What about the oline you say? We need big boys in the middle. Period. New Orleans and other teams can get by with mediocre tackles because of their guard play. Not to mention they are vital to the run game. Jackson, Yankey, or Richardson would look good in the red and black.

I agree, but who's to say that their boards will match our own? Barr is nearly unanimously ranked higher than Mack and could be the pick.

Barr has only played on defensive side for two years. To me, he is a much more raw and unrefined player than Mack. He just looks like more of a gamble than most NFL GMs would want to take in the top 10 of the draft. I'm sure he may go in top 10 but closer to 10 than 1.

I would take Mack who might have a lower ceiling but a much higher floor than Barr.

As far as what Kiper/McShay think - you or I know as much about these guys abilities to succeed at NFL level as they do.

I actually think we'll beat the Skins they are in tatters right now.

Shanahan has completely lost the team and from what I have seen the last 2-3 weeks from us at least we have some what righted the ship and the team especially the defense is competing quite well.

I can actually see us pushing the panthers also.

The Niners no they'll run all over us and will be priming themselves for the play-offs.

All in all I just want to see us competing and where end up is where we end up if we are still lucky enough to be in position to grab Clowney GREAT if not move on.

TBH I don't care how or who we do it with as long as we get 4 guys either side of the trenches that make us meaner & nastier.

Edited by kiwifalcon

But see, you aren't part of the team. You aren't in any way part of the decision making process. All people like you do is show how classless and idiotic a fan can be. You are why outsiders believe the falcons fan base is a bunch of bandwagon types.

First of all, I'm never classless. Second, which is more idiotic, winning 4 games for pride and possibly pushing the rebuilding process back more or losing out and getting the best possible shot at difference makers on the OL or DL? How is wanting the best possible draft pick not supporting my team? I am not emotionally tied to one specific player, but to the team and I would prefer if they added some difference makers on the DL and OL.

Edited by dfsutton

Do you believe anyone currently employed by the Falcons shares your views?

I can answer that. No, they don't. No one.

I'm not worried about their views, because their own self-preservation influences their views. Of course TD and Smitty want to win out, because otherwise they might be fired and they're worried about their own future with the team. I however will be a Falcons fan again, no matter what. So I'm back next year. If Smith or TD are fired, I don't worry about it. I'll still be a fan of the team know matter who the coach or GM is. I don't neccesarily want them fired, but I don't think TD or Smith is irreplaceable either. In fact, it's possible there might be better options out there.

Edited by dfsutton

hope you are right about the Skins game but don't think so. Roddy is coming on, SJAX is finding his rhythm, Tony G. is going to have another big game at some point and Worrilow/Spoon are playing well at LB while Trufant/Alford are getting better by the day......Falcons will win on Sunday - I wish it was not so, but think they will win - probably by 10 points or more.

and all that put 21 points on the board against a pathetic Packers team.....7 of them coming from a once in a season type crazy play.

Our offense has been relevent one time in the past 7 weeks (against BUF). Besides that, they havent scored more than 14 points aside from a few points in garbage time when getting blown out by the Bucs.

and all that put 21 points on the board against a pathetic Packers team.....7 of them coming from a once in a season type crazy play.

Our offense has been relevent one time in the past 7 weeks (against BUF). Besides that, they havent scored more than 14 points aside from a few points in garbage time when getting blown out by the Bucs.

agree with your assessment of Packers game, but Falcons played decently the previous two weeks and are better at home and in a dome......Falcons are a horrible road team this year - did not really expect them to win yesterday and was surprised when they got up 21-10.