Question About Nolan & Bierrman Next Year

OC

Please don't move this. This question is based on a couple of assumptions:

1) The entire regime will be here next year.

2) We will get Clowney next year.

If we get him, and he is the star that many think he will be, we would obviously want to put the best pass rush on the field. How does that figure in to Nolan's scheme? We all know he likes to use Kroy as a Joker-type on defense, but at the same time he isn't really a linebacker. So what do you think our defensive line will look like next year, pending those two assumptions holding true?

Based on that, and what I could see us aiming for in FA. Our Dline could look like this:

Clowney-Joseph-Peters-Massaquoi

With back ups being Osi,Goodman,Maponga,Cody,Robertson

Matthews is cut and Biermann plays out his contract but is moves to LB just on the depth. But would still play some DE and continue to be the joker for one last season

Based on that, and what I could see us aiming for in FA. Our Dline could look like this:

Clowney-Joseph-Peters-Massaquoi

With back ups being Osi,Goodman,Maponga,Cody,Robertson

Matthews is cut and Biermann plays out his contract but is moves to LB just on the depth. But would still play some DE and continue to be the joker for one last season

You think Osi goes to the bench?

move him to SLB where he belongs.

I think Clowney and Goodman are the future at DE for this team. Mass and Maponga have skill, but I think they will be best served as roational depth,and maybe 3rd down guys.

IF the team takes Clowney, there is definately a log jam at DE right now, and some decisions to make.

Clowney

Umenyiora

Beirman

Massaquoi

Goodman

Mapoga

Matthews (unles he will strictly be considered a DT going forward?)

2 of those will have to go if all stay at DE. IF you move Beirman to SLB, you really only part ways wth Matthews to get to your 5 DE's. I would prefer to keep Osi to be a mntor for Clowney and a nice bookend DE for a season. Not sold that any other DE is completely ready to replace him week 1 in 2014.

I think Clowney and Goodman are the future at DE for this team. Mass and Maponga have skill, but I think they will be best served as roational depth,and maybe 3rd down guys.

IF the team takes Clowney, there is definately a log jam at DE right now, and some decisions to make.

Clowney

Umenyiora

Beirman

Massaquoi

Goodman

Mapoga

2 of those will have to go if all stay at DE. IF you move Beirman to SLB, you really only part ways wth Matthews to get to your 5 DE's. I would prefer to keep Osi to be a mntor for Clowney and a nice bookend DE for a season. Not sold that any other DE is completely ready to replace him week 1 in 2014.

I disagree, Biermann isn't a LB, he would prob stick on as a DE but be the joker of the defense other than that he shouldn't stick around, I think mass is capable of replacing Osi easily, Mass has been more productive in my eyes this season. Clowney and Mass would make a nice DE combo, but we have to address the DT spot in free agency(resign peters,Sign Linvyl Joseph and Terrence Cody)

Clowney

Umenyiora

Beirman

Massaquoi

Goodman

Mapoga

I think that was more of an option last year when LB was a more perceived deficiency. This year, and moving forward I think we're ok with Bartu playing linebacker in coverage, as he is more of a natural LB than Kroy.

move on from bierman. time for a new "chess piece"

But where does this chess piece fit?

Seeing as as how bad our defense got after Beirmann got injured does anyone want to let him go? He is what Nolan uses to make the defense work.

Our defense was bad before Biermann got hurt. A DE that we inexplicably use like a ******* safety isn't the difference between having a competent defense and the three ring circus we have seen this season.

I see Mass and Clowney as our future at DE. OSI will be here next year however. Kroy might be turned into a hybrid de/olb. That's if he regains his mobility. If not, bye bye birdy!

Interesting. I hadn't considered how the injury might affect him upon his return. Good point.