Something New The Falcons Should Try

Knight of God

they both require something we don t have. consistent blocking.

The only time you need perfect blocking is when you expect a homerun on every swing. You have to dust up a few when your OL isn't on point. It will open up if you are consistent enough. If not, then expect to have to rely on the same suck OL to aid you in a passing game.

I don't care, the rock needs pounding. 30 carries divided between Jackson and Smith and what would have been different?

Its just basic sound fundamental football, isn't it? With how badly teams tackle these days, an Eric Dickerson or Earl Campbell would be having a field day in the current NFL.

As it is our backs are still gaining around 3.5 yards per carry. Well below what is accepted as good leaguewide, but like Parcells said once, 3.5 yards for three straight plays gets you a first down.

Parcells said this during a Super Bowl presser, talking about his aged RB Otis Anderson. The Giants won that Super Bowl too. OF course thier D was just awesome....

Its just basic sound fundamental football, isn't it? With how badly teams tackle these days, an Eric Dickerson or Earl Campbell would be having a field day in the current NFL.

As it is our backs are still gaining around 3.5 yards per carry. Well below what is accepted as good leaguewide, but like Parcells said once, 3.5 yards for three straight plays gets you a first down.

Parcells said this during a Super Bowl presser, talking about his aged RB Otis Anderson. The Giants won that Super Bowl too. OF course thier D was just awesome....

Its not teh aweshumz or anything. It just works. A few dust ups to keep the defense honest. I say run game and these guys start thinking homeruns. No, just a few dust ups and there, a playaction pass is a lot scarier because you are uncertain.

I think Ryan is one of the best PA passers in the game and the lack of balance has hindered this. I don't think we can win consistently with him throwing the ball 50 plus times. I remeber a stat a few years ago that when Turner rushed for a hundred yards, we had some gaudy record. Yes, I agree.. We need to pound the rock next year and not go all pass happy.

I think Ryan is one of the best PA passers in the game and the lack of balance has hindered this. I don't think we can win consistently with him throwing the ball 50 plus times. I remeber a stat a few years ago that when Turner rushed for a hundred yards, we had some gaudy record. Yes, I agree.. We need to pound the rock next year and not go all pass happy.

I agree with that statement 100%. That's why I cringe when I see him in empty backfield.

thats something I cant figure out why the falcons wont run the ball more. it wears out the defense and takes more time off the clock. they had success for a while at running the ball and then they stop running. run sjax 20 times and let smith get 10 touches to change the pace. instead of pass to set up the run, run to set up the pass

Its not teh aweshumz or anything. It just works. A few dust ups to keep the defense honest. I say run game and these guys start thinking homeruns. No, just a few dust ups and there, a playaction pass is a lot scarier because you are uncertain.

Agree. The perfectly balanced offense ~ well executed ~ can't be stopped by today's defenses. Too many rules changes favoring the offense have put defenses on the ropes to begin with. If your offense is capable of burning the defense equally well with the run or the pass instead of one or the other, the defense simply can't hold up.

Agree. The perfectly balanced offense ~ well executed ~ can't be stopped by today's defenses. Too many rules changes favoring the offense have put defenses on the ropes to begin with. If your offense is capable of burning the defense equally well with the run or the pass instead of one or the other, the defense simply can't hold up.

x2000

The Falcons must run the ball to truly see the "explosiveness" they are dying to see. True the oline is hirrible at run blocking, but run a few plays that culminate in a cloud of dust and those two yard gains become 4 & 5 in the 4th quarter.

In boxer terms: deliver some body shots, soften the belly, and when their hands drop to protect the middle; hit em over the top.

Even the record setting, undefeated Pats offense fell to the Giants because of a lack of running game. This translated into the Pats not being able to fend of the Giants pass rush.

Freeze that safety. Keeps three LBs on the field. Then let the D pick thier poison between TG Roddy and Julio.

We won a lot of games last year doing just that.

The Falcons must run the ball to truly see the "explosiveness" they are dying to see. True the oline is hirrible at run blocking, but run a few plays that culminate in a cloud of dust and those two yard gains become 4 & 5 in the 4th quarter.

In boxer terms: deliver some body shots, soften the belly, and when their hands drop to protect the middle; hit em over the top.

Even the record setting, undefeated Pats offense fell to the Giants because of a lack of running game. This translated into the Pats not being able to fend of the Giants pass rush.

Ryan's SF playoff funble....wasn't that with an empty backfield?

Turner was out then too....

I was very disappointed that we started doing all of this "no running" crap. It has no real chance of being much of anything. Let's go ask Brees how much he appreciates his boys. He has four guys who could start anywhere.

I would love for us to go to a Zone Blocking Scheme. They seem to be used by most of the top rushing teams, but my only problem is that most teams that use ZBS seem to have bad passing blocking. Is Denver the only team with a good ZBS system and good pass blocking?

every team in the league uses zone blocking in at least some aspect of their offense

Guest Negatorris

We need to get away from this feature RB crap and give all our guys equal amounts of snaps. They all have different strengths and weaknesses. Using them all would give us a way better running game. We also need to ditch this stupid blocking scheme we use now.

We need to get away from this feature RB crap and give all our guys equal amounts of snaps. They all have different strengths and weaknesses. Using them all would give us a way better running game. We also need to ditch this stupid blocking scheme we use now.

I'm telling you, it sounds good, but it does't always work man. The Saints have been lucky and many teams are starting to feature again.