Those Back And Forth Espn Guys.

Isosceles

First of all, a huge CONGRATULATIONS to Florida State, Auburn, Michigan State, and Baylor, among those who won conference championships.

Early in the year, according to these ESPN guys, Alabama and Oregon were “clearly” the two best teams in the land. Herbstreit went so far as to say, “Just watch Oregon for a whole game,” and you can see they belong up there with Alabama.

Later, according to these guys, Alabama and Florida State were “clearly the two best teams in the land.”

After Bama lost to Auburn, then it was all up in the air. FSU was “clearly” the best, but one of them offered they thought Alabama was still the second best.

Now that all dust has settled, these guys say FSU and Auburn are “clearly the best two teams in the nation.”

I admit I like the main crew of Pollack, Palmer, Fowler and others, for the most part. Especially all those younger guys.

And, I will not dispute that right now, FSU and Auburn look like the two best teams. It’s just that they proclaim who is “clearly the best” much too often.

Back in 2006, Herbstreit said “Ohio State and Michigan are clearly the two best teams in the nation,” after that 3-point epic win by OSU and the other contenders all had 1 loss.

The four-team playoff will be the best thing to happen to college football so far. Because it won’t be long before some 2-loss team will be in it and they will show us which team is really the best. This prediction is not a testament to any 2-loss team in 2013.

J

That 4 team playoff is just setting the tone for more SEC domination because you know there will be 2 SEC teams in it almost every year.

I just love that we're finally getting it. It will be just the beginning. After some years of people bitching and whining about being that 5th team being left out they'll expand it to 6 or 8 and then eventually 10 or 12 and we'll finally have a legit playoff system like we should have had decades ago.

I've never understood how people can argue that it would extended the season out too far when we've had playoffs in 1-AA, Division 2 and Division 3 college football forever.

I just love that we're finally getting it. It will be just the beginning. After some years of people bitching and whining about being that 5th team being left out they'll expand it to 6 or 8 and then eventually 10 or 12 and we'll finally have a legit playoff system like we should have had decades ago.

I've never understood how people can argue that it would extended the season out too far when we've had playoffs in 1-AA, Division 2 and Division 3 college football forever.

And I'll never understand why people think the twelfth-best team in the country should have a shot at the championship. I thought we cared about player safety?

The more a playoff expands, the more the winner becomes the team that got hot at the right time instead of the team who was better all along. Also, like I implied earlier, basketball != football in terms of injury risk.

Okay? And? The NFL is that way. We never question who should have been the super bowl winner and that's the team that got hot.

Really don't like that about ESPN, personally. Rather than offering up objective analysis and straight talk about different teams (there are a few exceptions), it's like they are encouraged to make outrageous definitive statements focusing mostly on the top of the poll. They prop teams up every year and try to be an influence rather than coverage.

I respect Pollack and Palmer a lot on there because they will tell it like it is even if it's downing Georgia or Florida. Of course, a lot of fans just want them to pump sunshine about their former team and so they get hated on a lot. To a certain extent we'll see that from Herbstreit and Desmond, but those guys love to make those "clearly" statements.

But then ESPN only cares about ratings and money so whatever.

As for the playoff thing, I think major college football needs a 3 week, 8 team playoff. Any more than 8 is pointless imo and I don't agree with guaranteeing conference champions a spot.

Really don't like that about ESPN, personally. Rather than offering up objective analysis and straight talk about different teams (there are a few exceptions), it's like they are encouraged to make outrageous definitive statements focusing mostly on the top of the poll. They prop teams up every year and try to be an influence rather than coverage.

I respect Pollack and Palmer a lot on there because they will tell it like it is even if it's downing Georgia or Florida. Of course, a lot of fans just want them to pump sunshine about their former team and so they get hated on a lot. To a certain extent we'll see that from Herbstreit and Desmond, but those guys love to make those "clearly" statements.

But then ESPN only cares about ratings and money so whatever.

As for the playoff thing, I think major college football needs a 3 week, 8 team playoff. Any more than 8 is pointless imo and I don't agree with guaranteeing conference champions a spot.

Agreed about Pollack and Palmer. Really love listening to those guys. They call it straight regardless of who it is. You can tell they do their homework.

It's not about "blemishes." I just don't think that teams that don't separate themselves in the regular season should have the opportunity to win it all on a hot streak. 6 teams is way plenty.

I think teams should be seeded based on records and not giving home games to division winners. If that had been the case we would have never had a 7-9 team host a playoff game. I really wish NFL, NHL and MLB would seed teams based on their records and not who the division champions are.