Julio Jones Off Crutches; Johnson Back In The Weight Room

BankerBird™

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/football/injury-update-jones-is-off-crutches-johnson-back-i/ncDDB/

INJURY UPDATE: Jones is off crutches; Johnson back in weight room

Julio_Jones.jpg

Curtis Compton

Falcons wide receiver Julio Jones last played in Oct. 7 loss to New York Jets at the Georgia Dome.

By D. Orlando Ledbetter

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

FLOWERY BRANCH —

Falcons wide receiver Julio Jones, who is recovering from foot surgery, is off his crutches.

Wide receiver Harry Douglas has been in contact with Jones, who hasn’t spoken to the media since his injury and surgery in October. He was placed in injured reserve on Oct. 10.

“He’s doing good,” Douglas said. “I talked to him the other day. I saw him (Wednesday), too. He’s doing (well).”

Falcons coach Mike Smith gave an injury update on several players during his radio segment on the team’s flagship station 790TheZone on Friday. He appeared on “The Locker Room” show with former Falcons tight end Alge Crumpler and JP Peterson.

“Julio is continuing with his rehabilitation,” Smith said. “He’s off the crutches. It was a non-weight-bearing (injury). That’s usually the process that you go through when you have a leg injury.” Jones has been in the building for meetings and doesn’t seem to have a sense of isolation.

“He’s handling it pretty good, but Julio is a mature guy,” Douglas said. “Things like that don’t bother Julio.”

Douglas, who’s 94 yards shy of 1,000 yards receiving, gives Jones credit for his strong season.

“After every game I talk to him, and he tells me what he’s seeing,” Douglas said. “It’s always good. He lets you know what he sees. He’s been very helpful.”

Linebacker/defensive end Kroy Biermann is recovering from Achilles surgery. He went down in the second game of the season on Sept. 15. He was placed on injured reserve of Sept. 16.

“Kroy Biermann is probably ahead of anybody because his injury was earlier in the season,” Smith said. “Kroy is continuing with his rehab. He’s starting to do some activities, although very light activities.”

Left tackle Sam Baker is recovering from left knee surgery. He was placed on injured reserve on Nov. 12.

“Sam Baker is going to be off his crutches here soon,” Smith said. “We are going here in the right direction.”

Offensive lineman Mike Johnson, who suffered a dislocated left ankle and fractured fibula in training camp, is also recovering. He was played on injured reserved on Aug. 9.

“Mike Johnson is actually back in the weight room,” Smith said.

Overall, Smith believes the recovery picture looks rather promising althought he didn’t address fullback Bradie Ewing, who suffered a shoulder injury and was placed on injured reserve on Sept. 16.

“That’s very positive that those guys continue to progress in there rehab,” Smith said. “We anticipate that there will be no setbacks and that they all will be ready to go when we start our offseason program.”

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice. I didn't know Julio was on crutches, good to see he's off them now in any case. Maybe we'll see him on the sidelines in Green Bay. I'm confident Julio will be tearing it up again next year. He's been a little injury-prone with us (missing a game or two a year) but the foot-thing really was a freak accident.

Hopefully Johnson is who we need him to be.

It's really good to hear that everyone is healing up and starting to get active again. I think this team is gonna come back with a vengeance next season.

Thanks for the update, BB. And yes, I'm looking forward to getting everyone healthy, and seeing how we do in the draft & free agency this year. Could be some exciting times ahead, at the Branch.....can hardly wait!!!

chances are he is going to break it again . Sucks

hope Whoever is our GM when his contract comes around we take this into consideration

Julio is very brittle

There is a chance he breaks it again, but its because he goes hard every play not because you think he's brittle. He broke the screw that was in his ankle, apparently it was the screw that is brittle.

There is a chance he breaks it again, but its because he goes hard every play not because you think he's brittle. He broke the screw that was in his ankle, apparently it was the screw that is brittle.

screw is tougher then bone . If The screw didnt break it would have been his bone that broke

yes Julio is a freak great shape and goes hard that is why has hamstring issues and foot issues now

Julio finished the game and caught like, a 50 yard pass even after injuring himself. His season was over because of the surgery's necessity to his long term health and the time it takes to rehabilitate from it more than the injury itself. He didn't just straight up break his foot; just a screw in his ankle from a faulty operation before he went pro. His salary probably bought the best surgeons money could buy to fix it. Julio's been a little injury prone with us but the foot thing is a freak accident and he's already off crutches. We've still got a good 9 months before his regular season debut. Julio might miss a game or two next season for all I know but it won't be because of his foot, and he won't be missing whole seasons anymore.

I'm thinking the procedure has advanced since he had the original surgery, so the odds that he'll break it again are practically zero. I mean, I'm not a doctor but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. rolleyes.gif

Yes procedures have advanced but if the screw wasnt in place where it broke Julio would have had a broken foot again .

Julio finished the game and caught like, a 50 yard pass even after injuring himself. His season was over because of the surgery's necessity to his long term health and the time it takes to rehabilitate from it more than the injury itself. He didn't just straight up break his foot; just a screw in his ankle from a faulty operation before he went pro. His salary probably bought the best surgeons money could buy to fix it. Julio's been a little injury prone with us but the foot thing is a freak accident and he's already off crutches. We've still got a good 9 months before his regular season debut. Julio might miss a game or two next season for all I know but it won't be because of his foot, and he won't be missing whole seasons anymore.

This is FALSE .. A screw does not just break without impact . Yes a screw shouldnt break but if the screw that holds the bone together wasnt in place it would have been Julio with a broken foot again .

SCREW IS tougher then BONE