Washington To Hire Chris Petersen

Unknøwn

With Gary Kubiak out in Houston, I sure would like a WCO and ZBS here again, I think Matt would excel.

Well Kubiak certainly has the track record as a successful offensive coach in the NFL.

I didn't hear it, but someone else posted the announcers were talking about how Kubiak's schemes were very outdated. I want a young, innovative guy is Koetter leaves.

Makes you wonder if USC even reached out to him. They just made a gamble of a hire while inadvertently giving Washington the opportunity to hire Peterson. Wow.

Sarkiasian is a better hire for USC. He knows LA and understands the pressure it takes to win. SC will always get studs cause they are SC. But word is they have been missing a few recruits cause of location. USC campus is literally in South Central LA.

About that "Peterson will never leave Boise" talk...

It was valid, most of all for his family. He certainly was never taking a job in the SEC as UF offered him the job n he didn't even entertain the idea. UW works for him for several reasons, seems like a great move for both parties.

It was valid, most of all for his family. He certainly was never taking a job in the SEC as UF offered him the job n he didn't even entertain the idea. UW works for him for several reasons, seems like a great move for both parties.

yep absolutely.. he wanted to stay up in the northwest.. he and his family was not going to move that far from where they were in boise and he had plenty of chances to come to the east and the south and decided not to.

Track record on former Boise State coaches isn’t good

Submitted by Ryan O'Halloran on December 6, 2013 - 10:38pm TU-2

Give Chris Petersen credit — he didn’t want to become Jim Grobe.

Grobe turned around Wake Forest, winning a combined 28 games from 2006-08. He resigned earlier this week after a fifth straight losing season.

Petersen’s eye-popping record at 92-12 with Boise State has long made him attractive. But he stayed put until Friday when he was hired by Washington.

It’s a great move for Petersen — the Broncos went 8-4 this year and fell off the national radar.

He undoubtedly figured a few more seasons like that and Pac-12 schools like UW would stop calling him.

But before his introductory news conference even happens, I’m predicting a subpar tenure for Petersen. Just look at the track record of former Boise State coaches:

• Houston Nutt. He coached Boise State for one year (1997) and went 5-6 but managed to parlay that into being hired by Arkansas. In a combined 14 years with the ’Hogs and then Ole Miss, Nutt went 99-74 (52-60 in SEC competition). Last seen gabbing for CBS.
  • Dirk Koetter. He went 26-10 in three years with Boise State and turned that into a stint at Arizona State. With the Sun Devils, he was 40-34 (21-28 in Pac-10 play) and was fired and replaced by Retread Hall of Famer Dennis Erickson. He joined the Jaguars as offensive coordinator before moving on to the Atlanta Falcons.
  • Dan Hawkins. The biggest disaster of the coaches who have left Boise State recently. He was 53-11 with the Broncos, but his time with the Buffs was a debacle — 19-39 overall (10-27 in the Big 12) and one post-season appearance, a loss in the Independence Bowl. Most recently, Hawkins didn’t even make it through a half-season coaching Montreal in the Canadian Football League. Last seen working for ESPN.

• Dan Hawkins. The biggest disaster of the coaches who have left Boise State recently. He was 53-11 with the Broncos, but his time with the Buffs was a debacle — 19-39 overall (10-27 in the Big 12) and one post-season appearance, a loss in the Independence Bowl. Most recently, Hawkins didn’t even make it through a half-season coaching Montreal in the Canadian Football League. Last seen working for ESPN.

Still managed to beat UGA in 2010...*sigh

That honestly may have been Richt's worst loss to me.