Looks Like Houston Beat Us To The Bottom

The good thing about this is that they will probably (almost assuredly) be taking a QB. Their defense isn't the problem. Clowney may be the next football Jesus / Julius Peppers mutant hybrid thing... (which I really don't think is true)... but they NEED a QB, not more D.

That's good for us, as long as we keep tanking. Trade down with a #2 spot? That'd get us some great picks.

Maybe they don't want teddy. Maybe they'll hold off for Boyd or even Murray. Bridgewater may be the best qb this season but clowney has actually proved himself against top level offensive linemen. Heck for all we know Jacksonville ends up number one and definitely takes Bridgewater, guess who's sitting their at #2 waiting to scoop up clowney to team up with Watt and company

The stories of the Texans and the Falcons almost mirror each other. 'NFL' really does stand for 'Not For Long'. Nobody saw it coming, for either team, and I'm sure some folks had both teams going to the Big Dance. Wow!

I saw it coming . I made a great post about my 5 year window and how a team that doesn't win a ring in it's first 5 seasons under the same grouping will fall apart and changes will needed to be made

Maybe they don't want teddy. Maybe they'll hold off for Boyd or even Murray. Bridgewater may be the best qb this season but clowney has actually proved himself against top level offensive linemen. Heck for all we know Jacksonville ends up number one and definitely takes Bridgewater, guess who's sitting their at #2 waiting to scoop up clowney to team up with Watt and company

After watching both of them closely over the past four years: They would be utter fools to do that.

If Bridgewater is a legit franchise QB, then Texans would be fools to take Clowney - simply cannot go into 2014 season without a building block at QB that is legit. "half-waying it" by trading for average QB(Schuab) or drafting QB late(Keenum) - gets you what you already have.

Cutler as FA you say? Cutler is on the DL for six games a year - can you build around that plus his erratic behavior?

As my pastor says: "If you keep doing what you've always done, you will keep getting what you've always got".

Houston's defense is terrible actually. one of the worst in the NFL in stopping the pass I believe.

With that said, they definately need a QB. If they cant bring in someone like Cutler, they will draft one #1 overall IMO. If they dont want Bridgewater, I would bet they auction the pick off to the highes bidder to take the QB.

Keenum def. isnt the answer. Not to the degree that they can put all of their stock in him. Schaub is 32 and if Kubiak is gone, he will be too. A new QB may buy Kubiak some time, but I think he is gone.

IMO no way Clowney goes #1 overall, but he WILL go #2 if it is not another QB. TB and GB are the biggest threats to take Clowney in front of us (or someone who trade up).

Every GM will assume TD will take Clowney if he is available. Biggest need (arguably) on the team for years, and an elite prospect = no brainer.

Houston's defense is terrible actually. one of the worst in the NFL in stopping the pass I believe.

With that said, they definately need a QB. If they cant bring in someone like Cutler, they will draft one #1 overall IMO. If they dont want Bridgewater, I would bet they auction the pick off to the highes bidder to take the QB.

Keenum def. isnt the answer. Not to the degree that they can put all of their stock in him. Schaub is 32 and if Kubiak is gone, he will be too. A new QB may buy Kubiak some time, but I think he is gone.

IMO no way Clowney goes #1 overall, but he WILL go #2 if it is not another QB. TB and GB are the biggest threats to take Clowney in front of us (or someone who trade up).

Every GM will assume TD will take Clowney if he is available. Biggest need (arguably) on the team for years, and an elite prospect = no brainer.

you are right on the money here. - don't disagree with any of it - good job!

We will have the #6-8 pick.

I think that talking about Clowney is a waste of time.

agree for now.......if Falcons are 3-11 after losing to GB/Washington - with SF/Car left - two weeks from now - if that happens, we can revisit Clowney - but for now, I agree.

Clowney is going to go #2 overall I believe. We only get to #2(maybe) if we finish 3-13.

Most likely. It was nice flirting with that option but it's not the end of the world. I'm positive the first pick will be a front seven player but what kind will depend on who we re-sign and what we do in free agency. We have lots of flexibility so there's no need to get locked in on any particular position or player.

Umm, I'm not sure I agree with this post. Our last 4 games are against @GB, vs Was, @SF, and vs Car. Do you think we win more than 1 of those?

Right now we are sitting at 4, behind Jax, Hou, and STL (the Skins owe them their pick). We play Washington, so the winner of that game drops in the draft order. Jax plays Buf, Ten, and Indy (much more winnable games than our schedule). We are ahead of TB, Min, Cle, Oak. TB is the only one with as many losses as us, but they have Buffalo and STL in their last 4 games. I don't know, I see us in the top 5 looking at our last 4 games and how we've performed in our prior 12...

Edit: We are sitting at #3 right now behind Washington and Houston. The Jags just got a 4th win with 2 home games left against Buffalo and Tennessee. I really don't see us getting the 6-8 pick... We'll be anywhere between 2 and 5 IMHO.

Umm, I'm not sure I agree with this post. Our last 4 games are against @GB, vs Was, @SF, and vs Car. Do you think we win more than 1 of those?

Right now we are sitting at 4, behind Jax, Hou, and STL (the Skins owe them their pick). We play Washington, so the winner of that game drops in the draft order. Jax plays Buf, Ten, and Indy (much more winnable games than our schedule). We are ahead of TB, Min, Cle, Oak. TB is the only one with as many losses as us, but they have Buffalo and STL in their last 4 games. I don't know, I see us in the top 5 looking at our last 4 games and how we've performed in our prior 12...

Think JAX is actually 6th, Falcons are 3rd behind HOU & WASH.

Excellent draft selection tracker here:

http://overthecap.com/nfl-draft-selection-tracker/

They use probable end of season SOS rather than current SOS.

Edit: We are sitting at #3 right now behind Washington and Houston. The Jags just got a 4th win with 2 home games left against Buffalo and Tennessee. I really don't see us getting the 6-8 pick... We'll be anywhere between 2 and 5 IMHO.

everyone - including myself - that projects Falcons out of top 5 expects Falcons to win one more game - at least.

Between @GB(no Rodgers) and home versus Redskins - its highly likely that we at the very least - split those games. Falcons have a better SOS(tiebreaker) so than a lot of teams so - ties with most teams as far as record goes will skew against us.

I don't have to look at the schedule. I am talking a historical trend that defies reason. We will win just enough games to put us out of contention for our most coveted player. I am not a pessimist. I am just coming to terms with what we do.

We will be fine. We have cap space and the will to spend it. At 6-8, we will also draft a good player.

Guest King Jigsaw

In response to the link above about the projected draft order, if it really goes that way then the draft goes this way.

1. HOU - Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville - Texans are a 3-4 team and aren't hurting for a pass rush. They have had some injuries this year but those don't last forever. Clowney isn't a scheme fit and won't be the pick here. Bridgewater is the best QB in this draft and will join the franchise along side the new Head Coach.

2. STL (From WSH) - Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M - In this instance Clowney is a scheme fit, but DE is probably the last position of need for the Rams. They have Robert Quinn and Chris Long. Our biggest worry here is another team (like TB) trading above us to steal Clowney.

3. ATL - Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina - If the scenario plays out like this then we still get our guy without having to trade up, which is certainly ideal. This would solve a lot of our defensive problems, giving teams someone they have to gameplan around or risk a disruption on any given down. Will also make our young corners even better than they've already proven to be.

Edited by King Jigsaw