The De Syndrom..

TrufantIsland

It seems like TD is capable of drafting and End every year without getting value for the pick - I really hate this, wh waste so many picks on average DE's instead of improving the rest of the team.

2008 5th round Kroy Bierman

2009 4th round Lawrence Sidbury

2011 7th round Cliff Matthews

2012 5th round Jonathan Massaquoi

2013 4th Maliciah Goodman

2013 5th Stansly Maponga.

This is a waste of pick, TD drafts mediocre players, but he rarely gets a top 10 og top 5 player at the position..

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems like TD is capable of drafting and End every year without getting value for the pick - I really hate this, wh waste so many picks on average DE's instead of improving the rest of the team.

This is a waste of pick, TD drafts mediocre players, but he rarely gets a top 10 og top 5 player at the position..

It's not a waste of a pick. You aren't getting any top 5 players drafting past the 3rd round. TD's issue is what he considers important or priority. If he decides to draft OL-DL rounds 1-3 then we will see improvement in those areas The only couple I'd say he whiffed on were Peria Jerry and Sam Baker.

When you're HC truly believes that sacks are overrated, the GM is not going to put much emphasis on getting sack masters. That is the reason why we don't use 1st, 2nd or 3rd rounders on pass rushers.

Smith needs to change his ignorant philosophy. Protecting and sacking the QB are by far 2 of the most important things in football.

NO DE here will be any here good until we get a few big fat nasty NT's in the middle. Every QB can simply step up in the pocket to avoid the rushing from our DE's. If we had some push in the middle our DE's would be alot more productive and get alot more sacks.

Edited by MAD597

When you're HC truly believes that sacks are overrated, the GM is not going to put much emphasis on getting sack masters. That is the reason why we don't use 1st, 2nd or 3rd rounders on pass rushers.

Smith needs to change his ignorant philosophy. Protecting and sacking the QB are by far 2 of the most important things in football.

Apparently interceptions and laterals are overrated too.

For Fantasy football yes.

Executing the fundamentals is King.

This beats size speed and talent every time.

Tony Gonzalez is the Bench Mark.

All of his extra practice focuses on Fundamentals and that is what makes him

so dang good, because he was nothing when he came into the league.

His dedication to the fundamentals along with his work ethic made him

the player that he is today.

Julio Jones has the same attitude, if his foot does not derail his career.

2008 5th round Kroy Bierman Solid rotational player (at least) and key cog in Nolan's defense (more than many here realize or are willing to admit)

2009 4th round Lawrence Sidbury Bust, but that might be more on Hamilton

2011 7th round Cliff Matthews Rotational player, which about the most you can really hope for out of a 7th round pick

2012 5th round Jonathan Massaquoi Solid rotational player and potential starter (it'll all depend on if he continues to develop)

2013 4th Maliciah Goodman Too early to say, but looks promising

2013 5th Stansly Maponga. Too early to say

Keep in mind that the hit ratio on late round picks is low to begin with, and Goodman (a 4th round pick) is the highest pick of all of them. The only real legitimate complaint, that you could have here, would be that we haven't picked a DE higher, but we've just been focused on other things.

Edited by hjerry

Agree with you...maybe KB was a good pick. I guess we keep waiting on one to step up....oh my bad we've been waiting on that to happen for 6 yrs now. I said it once and I'll say it again....we still don't have a freaking pass rush or a clog in the middle

You don't expect good DE's in the 4th and 5th...but if you draft them, you have to give them a few years to see if they develop. That's the problem.

On the flip side, if you draft WRs and RBs in the 3rd to 5th, you can put them in immediately in subpackages.

That's why draft people typically point to QB, DE, CB (and maybe WR) in the first and offensive skill position depth in the midrounds. Once you get a solidified team, taking WR, RB, TE, S, LB in the 3-6 rounds will land you enough guys to keep those positions going. That leaves the 1st and 2nd round for mostly OL and DL (except when you need CB, QB).

Some positions you shouldn't even take late, because they clog your roster, it's better to double up on other positions. That said, I hope these guys pan out.

I think the organization is scared to take the risk on a DE, with such a high draft pick. Because of what happened when the team drafted Jamaal Anderson out of Arkansas. He was one of the biggest bust ever. I think he scared our franchise away from 1st round DE talents. The guy was good in college but, was all hype during the draft. The only Jamal Anderson that helped this team, was the one that played running back.

Edited by SkyborneC-Falcon4Life