Why Is Almost Every Player On Defense Undersized?

Southsacfalcon

I mean, where are the hogs, no stud d lineman, no stud linebacker, one guy in the secondary who looks the part (Willie Mo) but other than that we are just flat out small and not special. We don't have any "get off the bus factor" if you know what I mean. Just venting, I do t understand why we consistently draft undersized players. Hey if I'm wrong someone please set me straight

Falcons for life, no matter what! California Fan!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dimitroff has been trying to build a defense based on speed since 08. Speed is not better than physicality.

not so true I was a 198 pound DE and D-Right Tackle and also was used as a nose guard at times and most of the time I would say 80% I was out weighed by 80 lbs or more the only thing I had in my favor was I was faster and stronger than the other guys how strong and fast well lets just say at 16 years old and yes high school football I could bench 375 squat 550 power cling 325 and leg press over 2000lbs and I could also run a 4.3 in the forty I could run as fast as our WR had a chance to go to GA and play but life got in the way so I can see where he wants fast guys but also I see where we need big guys might have also helped that I was 6'2....lol

Its all in the scheme of the person building the team. Personally I prefer a mixture of both which we do not have here in Atl for situational reasons.

Ex... for a goal line stance, you would want to bring in a large package of players to the field. The Falcons continue to use the same undersized players to do what a larger player should do.

TD might be this great talent evaluator, but I'm afraid he's not looking at the BIG picture.

Ive said this for a while too....its soo obvious when you look at the 2 teams on the field...no matter who it is...we are smaller and more out of shape. The closest thing to big is our OLine but again the bigger guys carry it mostly in their bellies and butts as fat, as opposed to arms and thighs as muscle, people on this board think overall weight is equivalent for some reason...fat and muscle are 2 diff things Dimi.

Because its the Patriots Way according to TD. Of Course the Patriots have a massive d-line and o-line but don't tell Thomas that. Thomas is a genius, he can draft the smallest guys at their position and turn them into bench warmers! Thank you Thomas

nice topic - its the same with our offensive line.

I look at other teams like Seahawks, Niners, and Ravens - and I look at these players on each team that have biceps the size of my thighs - and think to myself - "where is the Falcons players that look like that?"

The scary thing - going foward - is if Dimitroff/Falcons scouts don't change what they look for in players with regard to strength/size, then we will get new players on the O&D Lines, but nothing will change other than the names on the back of the jersey.

On defensive line our players avg. is around 6'4' 265 lbs. That's about the same size Clowney is listed as 6'5 274 lbs. Do we need to get bigger or draft another small player which is it.

Are you saying there is no difference in size between Osi/Bierman and Clowney????

Add to that the Clowney is just a junior in college? Come on now.

nice topic - its the same with our offensive line.

I look at other teams like Seahawks, Niners, and Ravens - and I look at these players on each team that have biceps the size of my thighs - and think to myself - "where is the Falcons players that look like that?"

The scary thing - going foward - is if Dimitroff/Falcons scouts don't change what they look for in players with regard to strength/size, then we will get new players on the O&D Lines, but nothing will change other than the names on the back of the jersey.

Our line actually weighs a good bit with Konz and Holmes out there. They just all seem so weak. You could even include Ewing in there. There is no muscle tone on any of our linemen. I know at 340 you aren't going to look that athletic, but they're weakness shows.

Our line is fat. Not strong.

Our line actually weighs a good bit with Konz and Holmes out there. They just all seem so weak. You could even include Ewing in there. There is no muscle tone on any of our linemen. I know at 340 you aren't going to look that athletic, but they're weakness shows.

Our line is fat. Not strong.

yeah, size without strength is just slowwwwwwww weakness......we need both size and strength.

I do not see our Defense as undersize.

The DT's are pretty much par for the course, and while I would

like to see next to Babbs a 6'5 330lb wrecking machine, I

would also challange anybody to go find me on in FA or the Draft.

The LB's are on point and do not skew the topic with Bartu and

Worrilow's weight. They are Rooks and will put on 5-7 lbs

this off season.

Our DB's are a sizeable group. If we ditch DeCarp and sign David Bruton

Our DB's would then be pretty much the tallest in the NFL

The O Line.

Yeah buddy I like the Big Boys, but the reality is that the Patriots

took home 3 Lombardi's with what I call a smallish, but agile group.

Famous Quote about LT,

"It aint the size of the dog in the fight, it is the size of the fight in the dog"

I do not see our Defense as undersize.

The DT's are pretty much par for the course, and while I would

like to see next to Babbs a 6'5 330lb wrecking machine, I

would also challange anybody to go find me on in FA or the Draft.

The LB's are on point and do not skew the topic with Bartu and

Worrilow's weight. They are Rooks and will put on 5-7 lbs

this off season.

Our DB's are a sizeable group. If we ditch DeCarp and sign David Bruton

Our DB's would then be pretty much the tallest in the NFL

The O Line.

Yeah buddy I like the Big Boys, but the reality is that the Patriots

took home 3 Lombardi's with what I call a smallish, but agile group.

Famous Quote about LT,

"It aint the size of the dog in the fight, it is the size of the fight in the dog"

Both of the Falcons lines are smallish and not very athletic, they have some serviceable players but Babineaux for instant would be soooo much better with a monster next to him. Instead He and Jerry, Peters get abused by the more physical OL's and we have no pressure from a stud DE either. Honestly they do okay with their limitations, but getting pounded for 60 minutes has got to wear on them late in games, ie defensive breakdowns in the second half. Same applies to the OL they need some meat to absorbed some the punishment the more physical teams dish out. Or they had better get a deep and solid rotation to keep them fresh unfortunately the Falacons have neither.