Mob City

AF89

Anybody else catch the premier? The story isn't the easiest to follow but their is a steady amount of action and the amount of detail they put into the costumes and setting is really cool. I really love 1940's L.A crime noir type stuff so for me personally it was real easy to absorb myself into.

Not sure if it's a one time mini series or if they're planning on it being a continuous show but I think the condensed type of format they're using at least for the first season (only 6 episodes in 3 weeks) might help keep the narrative and action going at a steady pace better than say a Boardwalk Empire which I liked but have had trouble keeping up with because the plot could sometimes be a grind.

Looks similar to LA Confidential, which of all the gangster movies we've discussed, I do not believe is one of them. Love LA Confidential, it's an incredible movie.

One of my favorite movies as well, and yeah you can definatly see a similar Noire style plastered all over this one. I will say if someone is looking for a gritty realistic mobster piece, this kind of stuff (even though they use real locations and characters) probably has as much to do with the golden age of gangsters as 300 does with the Battle of Thermopylae. It's all written like a pulp novel,with femme fatals, hard boiled anti hero detectives, big band jazz clubs and a constant trumpet blurting somewhere in the background. You probably either like this kind of stuff or you don't.