Alford Trying To Make Overtime Play

Guest facelessman07

Guest facelessman07

http://blogs.atlantafalcons.com/2013/12/04/alford-trying-make-play-overtime/

So apparently we work on this all week in practice with Nolan yet Smitty told Alford never to do it again. Clashing of philosophy between Nolan and Smitty or just a minor miscommunication? What say you?

My opinion-what's the point of practicing something that you'll NEVER use? Smh..

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

“Obviously, I said that should be the last time that you do that,” Smith said following Sunday’s game. “That wasn’t the exact quote, but that’s paraphrasing. We don’t need to do that in that situation and I think he understands that he won’t do it again. But, hey, it was a big play. The ball was stripped and it ended up working out for us.”

i don t think its that hard to understand. there is a difference in making a play in regulation and a sudden death situation.

Guest facelessman07

All you have to do to confirm a clash of philosophy is take a look at the D's Nolan has run with other teams and the D he has run under Mike Smith. This D is a reflection of Mike Smith, not Nolan.

More reason for Smitty to GTFOH.

Could not agree more

All you have to do to confirm a clash of philosophy is take a look at the D's Nolan has run with other teams and the D he has run under Mike Smith. This D is a reflection of Mike Smith, not Nolan.

I'll disagree with this. If you watched the defense from 2008 to 2011 it was a Tampa 2 4-3, similar to what the Ravens ran in 2000 when Smitty was coaching there where the defense relied on the front four to apply pressure with the CBs playing well off their WR. Last season we saw some changes, such as the three DT front, but this year we're seeing large breaks from what we had. Trufant and Alford are both primarily man corners which is a shift from the primarily zone corners we've had. Likewise, the DT fronts we're seeing are a bit more intricate than they were last year (ie. 1/2i-tech NT, 5-tech DE, 3-tech DT, with a DE out wide). So, most of the problems we're seeing are due to the defense being in rebuild mode from a Tampa 2 4-3 to a LEO 4-3 to go along with some injuries, namely Nolan losing his chess piece in Biermann, and playing a bunch of rookies.

I'll disagree with this. If you watched the defense from 2008 to 2011 it was a Tampa 2 4-3, similar to what the Ravens ran in 2000 when Smitty was coaching there where the defense relied on the front four to apply pressure with the CBs playing well off their WR. Last season we saw some changes, such as the three DT front, but this year we're seeing large breaks from what we had. Trufant and Alford are both primarily man corners which is a shift from the primarily zone corners we've had. Likewise, the DT fronts we're seeing are a bit more intricate than they were last year (ie. 1/2i-tech NT, 5-tech DE, 3-tech DT, with a DE out wide). So, most of the problems we're seeing are due to the defense being in rebuild mode from a Tampa 2 4-3 to a LEO 4-3 to go along with some injuries, namely Nolan losing his chess piece in Biermann, and playing a bunch of rookies.

I don't see us running a lot of post-snap movement plays like stunts or twists. Maybe I'm just not noticing them but it seems that the DL movement always happens presnap and locks in. Doesnt really fit with the type of players we have, IMO.

I also think we need to start dialing up more fierce A gap pressure. That's what Arizona does and it works really well for them...especially given that the most consistent penetration in our defense seems to come from our DTs.

As for OP, Alford's decision to lateral while being tackled in FG range for the opponent was absolutely awful. I appreciate the thought but not in that spot. It doesnt matter who is HC....you don't do that.

So at what point is it allowed for a lateral? If you don't lateral in the other team's FG range, do you lateral in your own FG range? Do you lateral at the 50 almost in your own and just outside their FG range? If you're never supposed to lateral, why are you practicing it?

Edited by BirdWeisErrr_2

So at what point is it allowed for a lateral? If you don't lateral in the other team's FG range, do you lateral in your own FG range? Do you lateral at the 50 almost in your own and just outside their FG range? If you're never supposed to lateral, why are you practicing it?

it's only allowed on kickoff returns, just like in that game. But overtime is unacceptable

its not about not doing that ... coach smith is talking about the situation ... rather i agree or not ... he was saying doing that was not a must ...

if we was going against a D thatour O couldnt produce against .... we need the best field position .. make a play ... that wasnt the situation

like i said rather i agree or not ... most coaches would say the samething as coach smith

its not about not doing that ... coach smith is talking about the situation ... rather i agree or not ... he was saying doing that was not a must ...

if we was going against a D thatour O couldnt produce against .... we need the best field position .. make a play ... that wasnt the situation

like i said rather i agree or not ... most coaches would say the samething as coach smith

I ain't even gonna lie, I trusted that play more than I trusted our offense moving the ball An extra 20 yards. I don't care how good the passing game was all game. I don't trust the offensive line in clutch situations

smith was talking about alford doing it overtime when the falcons just need a FG to win the ball game. alford fumbles and bills recover the ball on that side of the 50 and the bills very likely would have scored a TD. falcons recovered the ball near the 50 and needed to get about 13 yards to attempt a fg for the win.

If not this would support my opinion that our players are so concerned making a mistake that it takes away their agressiveness and we become soft. The players are scared of selecting chocolate because all they are being taught is vanilla.

I bet Pete Carroll would have praised that play from then to now. I don't care to much about what every nfl coach would say, primarily because I'm not and never will be in that situation. I like to see my favorite team do everything in the power to try and win football games though. Sunday was the best effort I've seen from the defense all season, even better than the game against the Saints although the scoreboard says different