Would You Trade-Up 1 Spot To Get Jadeveon Clowney?

g-dawg

I know there is much fatigue on this messageboard about Falcons consistently trading up and losing draft picks - we did it for Julio, we did it for Trufant.

Now, I'm bringing up the topic again for the messageboards favorite draft darling = Jadeveon Clowney.

Here is draft trade value chart for top 5 picks

#1-001 = 3,000pts

#1-002 = 2,600pts

#1-003 = 2,200pts

#1-004 = 1,800pts

For argument sake, let's say the draft order is as follows:

#1-001 Houston Texans (3-13)

#1-002 Minnesota Vikings (3-12-1)

#1-003 St. Louis Rams (Redskins pick) (4-12)

#1-004 Atlanta Falcons (4-12)

Right now, that is how I project this thing to go down. I think, in this scenario, both Houston and Minnesota have to draft a QB. Mariota is not declaring and I believe the top two QB prospects in this draft would be #1) Bridgewater(Louisville) and #2) Hundley(UCLA). The "action" would be at pick#3. Thanks to the Bills "snatching defeat" from the jaws of victory last week, I believe the Falcons fall out of the top 3.

To move up 1 spot, the trade value chart shows 400pts would need to be granted.

Falcons other top picks:

#2-036 = 540pts

#3-068 = 250pts

To get a deal done with Dimitroff's protege'(Les Snead-Rams GM), I believe the Falcons would have to give up 3rd round pick this year(250pts) and a 3rd round pick in 2015 that would be valued at basically 50% discount(125pts).

Obviously Snead would probably have a good idea who the Falcons were taking (presumably Clowney). The one position that Rams do not need upgrade is Defensive End as they have two pro-bowl caliber D-Ends in Chris Long and Robert Quinn. If Snead decides to roll with Sam Bradford as QB (likely but not certain) Its kind of a no-brainer for Snead as he pockets a few extra picks and still can have any player he wants on the board when he was not going to draft Clowney anyway. My guess is that Snead would then take Jake Matthews at #4 or trade down a second time.

There is the set-up.

So I put it out to the messageboard - would you do this trade?

My first instinct is to say "NO" because the Falcons have so very many needs right now and a high 3rd round pick is a premium pick and Falcons would have to give up two of these picks.

Having said that, Jadeveon Clowney is a potential "once in a generation player" at one of the top 3 positions in terms of value in NFL (1. QB, 2. DE, 3. LT).

In spite of the many needs, if Falcons could save 2nd round picks this year and next and not give up a future 1st rounder and we could still walk out of this draft with Jadeveon Clowney,

I would pull the trigger.......what say you? (my guess is it will be 60/40 against).

130213123618-jadeveon-clowney-top-single-image-cut.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you guys still on the Clowney bandwagon after his abysmal season? He hasn't done jack this season. I would not want us taking him in the top 10. Period. Forget about trading up...

quit watching ESPN......some of you see a segment on ESPN or read an article - and your mind is made up. Clowney, now that he is healthy(he wasn't at beginning of the year when roundly criticized) has been playing well of late - very well. He dominated his freshman/sophmore year. get real pzummo - c'mon man, I expect more from you - you are a good poster on this site.

Why would we trade up in that scenario unless another team is trying to trade up to the #3 spot, but that would take the Rams out of contention for Matthews. I think in that scenario we stay put and get our player = Clowney

We would trade-up because the pick would be "for sale" and there would be others in contention - probably Tampa for one. There would be "action" on the pick if Falcons did not step up and we would get leap-frogged. You could gamble that Clowney falls - but given his pedigree and what NFL scouts are saying about Clowney - it is highly probable someone would move up to #3 if Rams were inclined to trade.

Agreed 100% I'd much rather trade back and stockpile picks then go BPA all on OL/DL and throw in a FS/FB/RB somewhere

stockpile picks for Dimitroff?

so you want more college "team captains" that do not have the strength to play at the NFL level? that is what you will get with later picks and Dimitroff - he starts drafting for special teams from the 3rd round on...

I'm so sick of trading up every year for that "one player away from the SB" pick. It's what got us in this mess to begin with.

We gave a boat load away for JJ and instead of chilling out and perhaps stockpile picks in the next few drafts, we continue to give picks away. It's madness. It's insane. It's not how you build a SB winning team.

quit watching ESPN......some of you see a segment on ESPN or read an article - and your mind is made up. Clowney, now that he is healthy(he wasn't at beginning of the year when roundly criticized) has been playing well of late - very well. He dominated his freshman/sophmore year. get real pzummo - c'mon man, I expect more from you - you are a good poster on this site.

He was a beast last season but this season has made me question his heart. The guy is an athletic freak, and I am not trying to say he doesn't have a TON of upside. But he is the ultimate boom or bust type player, and goes missing in a lot of games, and I've visually seen him this year taking plays off and being out of shape during a game. I am not a fan of taking players like that in the top 5 of the draft.

That's my honest opinion about him. I've watched him play this year and it wasn't injury holding him back. It was his conditioning. I also thought he was too quick to give up on plays.

so you want more college "team captains" that do not have the strength to play at the NFL level? that is what you will get with later picks and Dimitroff - he starts drafting for special teams from the 3rd round on...

No I want to kick him in the nuts and then have him go out and pick the meanest sonuvabitch DT/DE/OT/G's he can find with this first 5 picks.

After that grab a Tyrann Mathieu type FS and a power RB

You are so right on this. I'm so sick of his obsession with ST's players that are Boy Scouts. TD is not a good GM. Period.

No I want to kick him in the nuts and then have him go out and pick the meanest sonuvabitch DT/DE/OT/G's he can find with this first 5 picks.

After that grab a Tyrann Mathieu type FS and a power RB

good luck with Dimitroff drafting mean players - Dimitroff looks for boy scouts...

He was a beast last season but this season has made me question his heart. The guy is an athletic freak, and I am not trying to say he doesn't have a TON of upside. But he is the ultimate boom or bust type player, and goes missing in a lot of games, and I've visually seen him this year taking plays off and being out of shape during a game. I am not a fan of taking players like that in the top 5 of the draft.

That's my honest opinion about him. I've watched him play this year and it wasn't injury holding him back. It was his conditioning. I also thought he was too quick to give up on plays.

I watched Clowney play Florida a few weeks ago and did not see the laziness of which you speak. I saw a guy that was chasing down running plays going away from him, getting hurries on the QB and hustling all over the field. I do think that Clowney got off to a slow start this year - some of it was injuries and some of it probably was attitude - but all that seems to be behind him. This dude is talented and its very, very likely he will have a great NFL career.

I hope this year got his head straight... after the Vaccaro hit on MR I was ******* sick of our boy scout ********

That hit set the tone for our OL and ultimately our season. It showed we have no toughness or fight in us. Every team knows it and feeds off it.

I'll take 5 Incognitos right now over our 5 Martins.

Tough question. I would do it in heartbeat if I knew his work ethic was that of a Russell Wilson or and Andrew Luck. I would just play it safe and trade down and get that DT from Notre Dame. Then from there I would be drafting a lot of defensive players and a running back.

That hit set the tone for our OL and ultimately our season. It showed we have no toughness or fight in us. Every team knows it and feeds off it.

I'll take 5 Incognitos right now over our 5 Martins.

I would as well - but I need to see it first......When we are more concerned about "the locker room" than the product on the field we are doomed for failure.

I believe Dimitroff can turn this thing around - but he needs to look at himself first and some of his steadfast philosophies. He also needs to look at the physical profiles for the positions and emphasizing positions he has dismissed in the past (OL/DL).

If that's the Scenario, then no I stay put. The rams don't need Clowney so he could very well fall to us. Yea their is that risk of a team jumping us to the 3rd spot but I wouldnt jump to conclusion, and panic that I would trade picks away. If the top 2 QBs get drafted I don't see a team jumping us, and the rams willing to trade back past us willing to lose Matthews to us possibly.

Tough question. I would do it in heartbeat if I knew his work ethic was that of a Russell Wilson or and Andrew Luck. I would just play it safe and trade down and get that DT from Notre Dame. Then from there I would be drafting a lot of defensive players and a running back.

Well obviously the Falcons will do their due diligence on the guy. They will not only talk to his head coaches (High School/Spurrier) but Falcons would talk to training staff, high school teachers, etc, etc. I also think you have to look at this kid differently than others because Clowney has basically been the golden child for 6+ years - he was the #1 rated player in the country coming out of high school - and he lived up to the billing.

As far as Notre Dame DT(Nix), I will echo what others have said about him - just too scary to me to draft him coming off knee injury - plus, I don't think you take a DT in 1st round that is mainly just a run stopper. To me, a 1st round DT needs to be a 3-down player.

As far as RB goes, I really believe running back should be placed on hold until 2015. I would not even draft a RB in the 7th round - that is how strongly I feel about it. No running back is going to flourish until the offensive line is fixed - its going to take two offseasons to totally fix/turn over this O-Line. Between a full year of a healthy SJAX, Quizz's continued improvement and the emergence of Antone Smith - Falcons have plenty to work with at RB - the problem w/ the running game has been more offensive line related than those guys individually. Besides, I still have hopes that Falcons might consider drafting Todd Gurley in 2015 - who I think could be a poor man's Adrian Peterson.

If that's the Scenario, then no I stay put. The rams don't need Clowney so he could very well fall to us. Yea their is that risk of a team jumping us to the 3rd spot but I wouldnt jump to conclusion, and panic that I would trade picks away. If the top 2 QBs get drafted I don't see a team jumping us, and the rams willing to trade back past us willing to lose Matthews to us possibly.

I believe it would be known prior to St. Louis being on the clock if the pick was for sale. Scheffter/Glazer would be reporting - we cannot know in December what is going to happen in May but it will be apparent on draft day.

I think you bite the bullet and make the trade if you don't think its a bluff. Of course last time the Rams tried to bluff the Falcons and Dimitroff did not bite - and still got Matt Ryan (of course that was a different GM/regime). But just think, if Rams were not bluffing (Ravens did want the pick but would not give up enough) - Falcons would have ended up with a combination of Glenn Dorsey(bust) and Chad Henne(bust) - I know these would have been the picks because this is what Peter King reported the day after the draft concluded - and he was in the Falcons warroom for the 2008 draft. If Ravens had made the trade, Falcons would not have had this 5 year run of success - think about it.

If Snead doesn't want Clowney then why trade? Just pick next

read my response to Falkonator.

Did Rams want RGIII last year when they had the #2 pick? NO

Did the Rams just pick their next best player at a non-need position? NO (they traded the pick for a bounty)

you cannot make such simplistic arguments. That is not the way the draft works. Clowney is arguably the best NFL draft prospect in 5 years and he could fall all the way to #3 overall (could). There will be an appetite from multiple suitors to move up and get him - the NFL is more of a passing league than ever - there is a premium for a marquee pass rusher.

Les Snead has shown a great penchant in two years for moving around and trading - he's pretty dayum good at it as well. If Rams don't want a QB or Clowney and he is picking in the top 3 - you can take it to the bank that he is going to trade the pick.

I believe it would be known prior to St. Louis being on the clock if the pick was for sale. Scheffter/Glazer would be reporting - we cannot know in December what is going to happen in May but it will be apparent on draft day.

I think you bite the bullet and make the trade if you don't think its a bluff. Of course last time the Rams tried to bluff the Falcons and Dimitroff did not bite - and still got Matt Ryan (of course that was a different GM/regime). But just think, if Rams were not bluffing (Ravens did want the pick but would not give up enough) - Falcons would have ended up with a combination of Glenn Dorsey(bust) and Chad Henne(bust) - I know these would have been the picks because this is what Peter King reported the day after the draft concluded - and he was in the Falcons warroom for the 2008 draft. If Ravens had made the trade, Falcons would not have had this 5 year run of success - think about it.

true but in this case I don't bite on the Bluff. I'm happily sitting at 4 waiting for Clowney if a team despretely wants that that pick, and St.Louis is willing to miss out in matthews which I think they would if we get leap frogged than so be it. If it was for a franchise QB like Ryan or a LT like Thomas than yea I take the risk. But not for a DE even if he is a once in a decade DE. Edited by Falkonator