Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pickles da Don

Gators Football...all Things Gators,no Need For Haters

256 posts in this topic

muschamp made the defense run gassers (not fowler he had a great practice) and lit into the team. said if anyone else swings at a teammate they will be suspended. he really went after the defensive players.

hope this isnt a bad omen for the season, last year you could tell the team didnt want to play for muschamp. a scuffle isnt unheard of but a full blown fight is pretty telling to me right now

florida and idaho have decided to do a no contest and play the game in 2017. florida didn't want to use the 25th to play idaho who also had an open date them so they wouldn't lose their bye week before the uga game. so they will play 11 games this year.

florida and idaho have decided to do a no contest and play the game in 2017. florida didn't want to use the 25th to play idaho who also had an open date them so they wouldn't lose their bye week before the uga game. so they will play 11 games this year.

So is Florida basically admitting they have absolutely no shot at the playoff? Cuz I see no way that they can be voted in with 11 games unless they go undefeated.

So is Florida basically admitting they have absolutely no shot at the playoff? Cuz I see no way that they can be voted in with 11 games unless they go undefeated.

that is a good question.. not sure about that. they have 11 games and if they make it to an sec title game that's 12. if they go undefeated even with just 12 games i don't see how they are kept out. the only thing about this game being a no contest is if they are 5-6 and need an easy win on their schedule to have made a bowl game.

that is a good question.. not sure about that. they have 11 games and if they make it to an sec title game that's 12. if they go undefeated even with just 12 games i don't see how they are kept out. the only thing about this game being a no contest is if they are 5-6 and need an easy win on their schedule to have made a bowl game.

Yeah, I guess so. I just read something about how they'll probably apply for a waiver if they end up going 5-6.

Ehh, in fairness, Florida having a win over Idaho on the resume is a nonfactor. Not playing them due to mother nature will not matter if they're deciding on whether or not UF deserves to get in.

It's like saying Alabama would get passed on if they had to no contest a game against Buffalo. Or UGA with NM State or something. It won't matter.

But when comparing two teams, it'd be better if Florida had a win over Idaho.

If all things are similar, I'm picking the team that played a full schedule.

SacFalcFan likes this

But when comparing two teams, it'd be better if Florida had a win over Idaho.

If all things are similar, I'm picking the team that played a full schedule.

That was kind of my point. Not that I think they would lose, but it would be difficult to choose them over another similiar team for the playoff or bowl game.

SacFalcFan likes this

That's ********. Teams like Florida and Georgia shouldn't even play the Idahos. The only purposes they serve are supporting low budget programs and a de facto preseason game. If UF goes 11-1, losing a close SEC title game, I'm not judging crap on not playing Idaho in September. If they do it's outrageous. I'd be pretty well ticked off if UGA found itself in that situation, let's be real.

That's ********. Teams like Florida and Georgia shouldn't even play the Idahos. The only purposes they serve are supporting low budget programs and a de facto preseason game. If UF goes 11-1, losing a close SEC title game, I'm not judging crap on not playing Idaho in September. If they do it's outrageous. I'd be pretty well ticked off if UGA found itself in that situation, let's be real.

I see your point, but would Florida be more deserving than a 12-1 runner up from the Pac 12, Big 10, etc.? I feel like there would be a lot of controversy involved in that decision. Why not just play the game during the bye week? Is Florida really that scared of UGA that they don't want to play Idaho the week before?

And how would you feel if you were an Oregon fan whose team was 12-1, and got passed over by an 11-1 UF team.

Cuts both ways.

And how would you feel if you were an Oregon fan whose team was 12-1, and got passed over by an 11-1 UF team.

Cuts both ways.

The win over Idaho is immaterial. If Florida has more quality wins than Oregon (they do play LSU, Bama, FSU and of course UGA this year) then Florida deserves it over Oregon, period. If we're judging these teams on a no contest with Idaho then that is a fundamental flaw in deciding who the better team is.

As far as playing the game on the bye week before the Cocktail... I wouldn't want to either. It's a pointless game that only provides more chances for injuries right before the matchup that very commonly swings momentum towards winning the division for either team.

It is not immaterial

11 does not equal 12.

This is like saying a penny is nearly worthless but try winning an auction when you bid 99 cents and they bid a dollar

It is not immaterial

11 does not equal 12.

This is like saying a penny is nearly worthless but try winning an auction when you bid 99 cents and they bid a dollar

Bad analogy and way to totally counter quality of wins with 11 doesn't equal 12. There is no rule stating you have to play 12 games to be eligible for the playoff... UF would qualify anyway cuz 11-1 is 12 games.

I'm willing to bet this conversation would be totally different if it were UGA instead. I mean I'm all for giving the Gators a hard time but this is reaching.

When your last game against a "cupcake" was a loss to Georgia Southern, then I don't think you get the right to assume that you would have beaten Idaho.

Assumptions are meaningless to this. We're talking about the hypothetical situation of UF going 11-0 at this point... meaning they would have beaten UGA, LSU, FSU, and Bama in Tuscaloosa. Then losing in the SEC title game but remain an attractive option for the 4 team playoff.

My argument has nothing to do with anything that happened last season. If not playing Idaho outweighs winning all those games, I give up on CFB ever getting a playoff right.

Realistically it's very unlikely to happen anyway, but the fact this is a debate shows the sad state of integrity in perceiving the most qualified teams based on accomplishment. In my opinion anyway.

This is not reaching. Saying one team with one less win is somehow equal to a team with one more win is what's reaching.

It has nothing to do with total games. It has everything to do with total wins. Doesn't matter who it is. 12 wins>11 wins.

Huh? I'm fairly certain an 11-1 Florida team would be ranked about equally with any 12-1 teams come December. Especially if they barely lose in the SEC title game. They'd likely be #1 or #2 going into it at 11-0 and would have a stronger resume than anyone (save for that pesky missing game against Idaho that they aren't required to reschedule).

Now you're changing the argument to there won't be enough better teams for it to matter.

If there are 5 teams with 1 loss, the four teams with 12 wins have a leg up. It's as simple as that.

Now you're changing the argument to there won't be enough better teams for it to matter.

If there are 5 teams with 1 loss, the four teams with 12 wins have a leg up. It's as simple as that.

Not changing anything and I wholeheartedly disagree. Giving extra credit for playing a cupcake when weather permits makes zero sense to me. The game was not required to be rescheduled, obviously it's not that important.

If playing all 12 games is going to matter toward a playoff spot then all 12 games should be against relevant competition.