Future Ol Thoughts And Theories. Details, Not Hate.

1989Fan

So with the OL being the hot topic and obvious glaring weakness, here are my thoughts.

I really don’t think any pillars for future years are on the roster. With that said, Baker, Blalock, Holmes and Konz will all likely return to compete for staring spots, but that doesn’t really make me feel good.

LT -Baker has to return because of his deal, and the fact that he played really well last season when healthy. I would solely focus on Holmes at LT as Baker's backup. Work to get him in better shape and learn technique. If Baker gets hurt again, we need someone prepared to come in at THAT spot. Baker is enough of an injury risk that I would work Holmes as if he were the starter. It is more WHEN than IF when we are looking at a Baker injury.

LG - Blalock is going to have to stick around by default. When 3-4 of the other positions on the line are a mess, you cant really shake up one stable one. With that said, he is average being paid like a pro bowler. I would draft a OG in high rounds to serve as either Konz or Blalock's replacement after next season.

OC - It needs upgraded, period. I would honestly make Alex Mack the highest paid center in the NFL just to bring him here. He is top 5 and young, so it would be worth it.

RG - I do think Konz has potential at RG. However, as said above, I would still draft an OG in the top 2-4 rounds. He can come in to compete with Konz, and if Konz improves enough to start, he can backup both spots and replace Blalock (and his inflated pay) after the 2014 season.

RT - I would bring in a B level UFA, 1-4 round draft pick and have Schreader and Jones compete. Keep the best 2.

I like Schreader and have touted him since pre-season, but if he isn’t getting a shot with hot mess Trueblood in front of him, he isnt going to get his shot. They will attempt to upgrade the position this offseason, with not really knowing what they have in RS. I worry we will eventually see Schreader starting and performing at OT for another team. I honestly think if given a fair shot next season, he could beat out Holmes as Baker's backup (and injury replacement).

After all of that long winded theory, here is where our OL would be going into camps (not counting the usual camp bodies and long shots)

LT - Baker, Holmes

LG - Blalock, Draft pick

OC - Mack, Hawley

RG - Konz, Draft pick (round 2-4)

RT - UFA, Draft pick (round 1-4), Schreader, Jones (keep best 2)

My only other thought is IF Baker can play the right side, a guy like Brandon Albert would be awesome. I would still make Mack my top priority though. Center is so undervalued for some reason.

Another major piece, get a better OL coach. I think we have downgraded the spot every time we have switched OL coaches since Gibbs.

Last but not least....HEY COACH, let them master their ASSIGNED position, before cross training them at the other 4 spots on the line! Cross training rookies coming into the NFL is just stupid IMO.

I am glad to see since I posted this an article came out with Smith saying he wants to get Schraeder more involved. He is a big qustion mark in out future OL.

I'd love to see Schraeder get some extended playing time these last few games. Hopefully Smith will live up to his word, unlike what he did after promising Antone Smith would get more playing time and then gave him one play.

Konz will be back at RG this week. Hopefully he shows some signs of improvement there

Konz needs to get stronger. if dude didn't get pushed back so easily he'd be great. he reminds me of Mike Peterson. when Peterson was here he had the best instincts I've seen, but he was just a step too slow. like he'd sniff out a run or a screen pass but he just couldn't make the play. that's how Konz is, he has great instincts, he's just too weak to make the block

1989 makes a lot of good points; certainly a better thought process than what we have seen from Smitty (and TD) being implemented to date... and that's going back a couple years also.

I'd sum it up this way.

100% - new RT, new RG in 2014

99% - new C 2014

100% - new LT AND new LG in 2015 or 2016 (sooner the better on these two positions)

Konz needs to get stronger. if dude didn't get pushed back so easily he'd be great. he reminds me of Mike Peterson. when Peterson was here he had the best instincts I've seen, but he was just a step too slow. like he'd sniff out a run or a screen pass but he just couldn't make the play. that's how Konz is, he has great instincts, he's just too weak to make the block

Its more than obvious that Konz is a product of his college and scheme plus playing against sub par talent most the time at the college level. These factors and Konz's linemates made him look a LOT better than he really is.

Out of all the skills an O lineman are required to have, one ability is an absolute must. An NFL O-lineman has GOT to be able to push his man off the LOS, even if its just a yard or so. If we had an O line that could do that, we would be winning right now.

Some here want to blame the coaches, or the trainers. Ok I can see that. But at some point the players are the ones that have to pump that iron. I don't think our guys did enough of that at all this off season. And that is on the players...not the coaches.

Edited by egoprime II

I think the rebuilding process for the OLine should start with the architect of the Oline. Thomas Dimi Dimitroff. He got us into this mess. Unfortunately, he won't be going anywhere so just keep that mofo far away from the draft war room or any round table discussion on how to rebuild our Oline. Just check his history.

-Traded three picks to move up for a fragile T-Rex that had one good year

-Let Dahl and Svitek walk

-Cut Clabo who started out slow with MIA but has strung together five good games (compare his numbers to our tackles' over the last five games)

-Overpaid Blalock and SackMaker Baker. Neither of whom can run block. SackMaker can't pass block either

-Forced McClure into retirement after he clearly stated he wanted to return

-Drafted the likes of SackMaker Baker, MyJohnson, Joe Howley, King Konz, Surelock Holmes, Reynolds Wrap and a Dead President

-Signed FA bums like Blood, PhilllipKeith, Gunn, Bruggerman, Manu, Schraeder, Jones, Gandy, Romberg and Locklear

Turrible.

I think the rebuilding process for the OLine should start with the architect of the Oline. Thomas Dimi Dimitroff. He got us into this mess. Unfortunately, he won't be going anywhere so just keep that mofo far away from the draft war room or any round table discussion on how to rebuild our Oline. Just check his history.

-Traded three picks to move up for a fragile T-Rex that had one good year

-Let Dahl and Svitek walk

-Cut Clabo who started out slow with MIA but has strung together five good games (compare his numbers to our tackles' over the last five games)

-Overpaid Blalock and SackMaker Baker. Neither of whom can run block. SackMaker can't pass block either

-Forced McClure into retirement after he clearly stated he wanted to return

-Drafted the likes of SackMaker Baker, MyJohnson, Joe Howley, King Konz, Surelock Holmes, Reynolds Wrap and a Dead President

-Signed FA bums like Blood, PhilllipKeith, Gunn, Bruggerman, Manu, Schraeder, Jones, Gandy, Romberg and Locklear

Turrible.

Hard to argue with that analysis. Can't say we've ignored the oline...we've just failed miserably at obtaining any amount of talent there for years.

TD said the fixes may come from "inside"

LT FA

LG Babs

C Peters

RG Jerry

RT FA

from OP

"LG - Blalock is going to have to stick around by default. When 3-4 of the other positions on the line are a mess, you cant really shake up one stable one. With that said, he is average being paid like a pro bowler. I would draft a OG in high rounds to serve as either Konz or Blalock's replacement after next season."

II give you Mike Johnson 3rd rnd and Konz 2nd rnd and Blalock 2nd rnd

If a high draft round will fix the problem please please let different scouts give you the name--the old scouts did not select well.