What Would You Do About The Fs Position?

atlGM

I had hoped that decoudconsideringd eventually get it together and become a solid piece in our secondary but his play over the past two seasons has convinced me that we need to upgrade the fs position.

A couple weeks ago I was sold on taking lamarcus joyner in the second mainly if we somehow ended up with two round 2 picks. Now I see many drsft sites listing him as a nickel corner.

As far as the draft is concerned I havent seen any other talent tha the seems to be able to step in steo next year.

What are you guys thoughts on this?

I'll take the best FS that falls to the 4th or 5th. There is some decent names out there but nothing too great IMO. I love Dion Bailey though. Ty Zimmerman, Deone Buccanon, Lamarcus Joyner, Dezmen Southward, and Calvin Pryor are decent options. Also the FS from Wyoming is alright.

Improving the D-line and O-line are vastly more important than getting hot and bothered with FS. DeCoud can be upgraded but this offseason is not the time for it.

I agree they are more important. I think that the safety position is not so far off in inportance though. Big llays will kill a defense and DeCoud has been responsible for many of them. In a 4-3 I think consistent play from the safety spot can go a long way. I'm not saying spend a first or our second rounder but i do think if we end up 2 second rounders we should consider upgrading a tru weakness.

I'll take the best FS that falls to the 4th or 5th. There is some decent names out there but nothing too great IMO. I love Dion Bailey though. Ty Zimmerman, Deone Buccanon, Lamarcus Joyner, Dezmen Southward, and Calvin Pryor are decent options. Also the FS from Wyoming is alright.

I haven't seen the deone bucannon kid yet but I have been overally impressed with Zimmerman or bailey. But I do know I cant stomach another bad angle from decoud.

I would also like to see us switch positions. It seems like we only do it on the O-line but someone like McClain seems like he would be a good Safety.

He plays the slot a lot. He has a decent amount of strength to cover TEs. He can tackle pretty well although there have been times he struggled.

Not sure how much of a differerence mcclain would make there. I think he would struggle trying to come down and make hits in rbs. I would like to see more combinations with tge guys we drafted this past year. I think byrd would be a solid pick up although I would rather uee the bulk of our free agent money on the lines

Not sure how much of a differerence mcclain would make there. I think he would struggle trying to come down and make hits in rbs. I would like to see more combinations with tge guys we drafted this past year. I think byrd would be a solid pick up although I would rather uee the bulk of our free agent money on the lines

See I actually think McClain will work better against a TE because of his strength. He struggles mightily against speedy receivers, which is why Stevie Johnson was destroying him and Tavon Austin was when we played the Rams.

At Safety, that's who he would be guarding mainly and he blitzes well as a blitzing Safety. He also reads screens pretty well and crashes to the runner with the ball.

The distance of the Safety position compared to the nickel would be something he would adjust to but everything Decoud does in our scheme he excels at. He also plays the ball well in the air.

I might be wrong but look at Arizona putting Honey Badger in as a Safety and how that's helped the defense. I just wish we would think outside the box a little bit.

Edited by ATLFalcons11

He will be our FS next year. When the D-Line is improved and Decoud looks like a good Safety again I will be sure to bump the **** out of every thread people have been bashing him left and right.

Both our safeties will be 100% better next year.

He doesn't know how to play the ball in the air.

What does that have to do with the D-line?

He will be our FS next year. When the D-Line is improved and Decoud looks like a good Safety again I will be sure to bump the **** out of every thread people have been bashing him left and right.

Both our safeties will be 100% better next year.

you do that!

I will hold my breath until he becomes even just an "ok Safety/football player"

He doesn't know how to play the ball in the air.

What does that have to do with the D-line?

Better Pass Rush = Less Time in Coverage

Less time to throw = More Mistakes by the QB

It's not rocket science genius. Hard to look good in coverage when you have to cover 10 seconds every play.

Edited by PriMeTiiMe

Better Pass Rush = Less Time in Coverage

Less time to throw = More Mistakes by the QB

It's not rocket science genius. Hard to look good in coverage when you have to cover 10 seconds every play.

Lol you didn't respond appropriately to my post genius.

I didn't say anything about coverage in general. I gave a specific problem.

Decoud doesn't play the ball well in the air. It doesn't matter if there is a pass rush or not, we can't depend on Decoud to make a play on a deep pass because he loses sight of the ball.

A pass rush will only hide that so much, but he needs to learn how to play the ball in the air and he also needs to learn how to tackle.

Lol you didn't respond appropriately to my post genius.

I didn't say anything about coverage in general. I gave a specific problem.

Decoud doesn't play the ball well in the air. It doesn't matter if there is a pass rush or not, we can't depend on Decoud to make a play on a deep pass because he loses sight of the ball.

A pass rush will only hide that so much, but he needs to learn how to play the ball in the air and he also needs to learn how to tackle.

Never said he doesnt have flaws in his game. But we have far more pressing needs. Decoud will be fine next year.

If you think a late round rookie is going to come in and do well...Good luck. **** even if he did, its not like Mike Smith would start him over a vet. laugh.png

Never said he doesnt have flaws in his game. But we have far more pressing needs. Decoud will be fine next year.

If you think a late round rookie is going to come in and do well...Good luck. **** even if he did, its not like Mike Smith would start him over a vet. laugh.png

I never said a late round rookie tho...

A FS main job is to be the last defense and because of his tackling skills and propensity to give up deep passes, then what good is he?

I hope he is as decent as he was last season. That would suffice but I really think Nolan just did a great job of scheming to hide his deficiencies and those deficiencies have been found out.

He either needs to get markedly better or be out.

We will have 30+ in cap space. I gave a light mock offseason that included Jairus Byrd while still providing support for our O-line and D-line.

Sign Byrd

Sign Arthur Jones

Sign Peters

Sign McClain

*other minor signings withstanding*

Draft Clowney - 1st

Draft Jackson - 2nd

Draft DT - 3rd

I dont know enough about the draft right now to go beyond the 2nd round but thus has solved all problems except RT and from what I hear the RT position can be filled with a solid vet.