I Am Truly Disappointed In Whoever Makes The Decisions About Our Oline

Jaymadd

This season has been a bad season for our offensive line not just in play on the field but also in some decisions made in the offseason. It is obvious that resigning Baker was a bad idea, we should have just resign Svitek and gone with Holmes at LT. My new problem is the fact that Konz sucks and was moved from Center to Guard but still sucks. Trueblood is terrible as a RT and we have yet to put Locklear in at RT. We activated Terron Jones but he didnt get any snaps. We are at a point that we need to evaluate talent and to stop starting the same sorry players like trueblood and even Konz at Guard. Hawley has played alot better than Konz yet he started the season on the Bench. Schrader played significantly better than Trueblood at RT yet Trueblood continue to play. I am not understand the thought process of our coaching staff right now. Our oline is ranked near the bottom and changing up our lineup at this point cant hurt especially if it is with players we havent given much playing time to. If Hawley and Schrader can show enough to solidfy our woes at Center and RT then that opens up things for us in the offseason when it comes to the draft and FA. I will be disappointed if Schrader is not starting for the rest of the season.

Completely agree. This is my biggest problem I have with this staff.

You put your best players on the field. No exceptions.

But with this staff they very rarely put the best players in the field. It is pathetic. Add to that that they thought this oline was good after an entire offsetting and you have a coaching staff that is stubborn and piss poor at talent evaluation

Its on TD for ignoring the Line and on Smith for just leaving in the vets (And this applies for all positions not just the O-Line)

We need to improve our Lines and Smith needs to grow some balls and play the guys that have proven they deserved play-time. Why a guy like Asante is still starting is beyond me.

Maybe they improved as the season went on? Being an UDFA, I'd be hesitant to throw him in the fire as well. Might get your QB put on IR. I realize Matt's been getting hit anyways regardless, but it could've been worse. It's possible that he just needed more time to learn to play at this level.

With Konz, I think they were just hoping he would get better. He looked so good in training camp and practice, but it did not translate to the field. I wouldn't rule him out coming back into the Oline next year after he gets to step back and watch it some more to get a better understanding.

Maybe they improved as the season went on? Being an UDFA, I'd be hesitant to throw him in the fire as well. Might get your QB put on IR. I realize Matt's been getting hit anyways regardless, but it could've been worse. It's possible that he just needed more time to learn to play at this level.

With Konz, I think they were just hoping he would get better. He looked so good in training camp and practice, but it did not translate to the field. I wouldn't rule him out coming back into the Oline next year after he gets to step back and watch it some more to get a better understanding.

I am done with Konz because in this situation the combine number did translate to the game because he had a weak bench and it is clear he cannot hang with NFL Defensive tackles to play on the inside.

I kinda agree and it goes back to my beef with how the staff has handled the RG position. I can admit that I was wrong about Konz. I thought he would be better at this point but Hawley looks to be legit to take over center. I still like Konz though but he has to add some upper body strength, he'd be great at RG but he's just too weak. Holmes has improved greatly, but he's still making bonehead plays. IMO if we solidify the RG spot the line would improve drastically. I too would love to see Schaeder take over from here on out, especially since I don't think we're keeping Trueblood a minute past the final buzzer of the final game

You're preaching to the choir. That's why I'm baffled at who the **** makes the personnel decisions on this team. Dimitroff brings in offensive line players, but they either suck or they don't get playing time due to Smitty.

These two need to have a a serious offseason discussion about who is running this f'n team. Another year of bad blocking and no pass rush means one or both of them have to go.

Enough is enough.

Bingo. Holmes and Konz have been the 2 worst OL on the team yet have the 2nd and 3rd most snaps of all the O-line. Meanwhile Schraeder has outplayed Holmes and Trueblood in every opportunity given since preseason and barely sees the field.

And it's not just the OL. Don't get me started on Dent, Decoud, etc...

I am fine with Holmes, he is getting better each week and I think he can be a solid starter next year. Holmes and the rest of the oline were getting beat left and right from Stunts and designed blitzes from the Bills. Holmes was fine in one on one handling the Ends but on stunts there was alot of confusion with Blalock and Holmes on Stunts. The other lineman struggled with stunts too which means that is on the coaching staff.

TD has a huge ego, imo. It is the only thing I can think of that explains it. If Clabo was booted for having a bad season, then we should have never resigned baker. Dude only had one above average season with us, but we give him a long term contract. The only reason I can think of is that TD moved up to get him and wants him to pan out to make him look good. We could have gotten Jake Long for cheaper than baker's contract. Heck, we probably could have gotten Long for cheaper than the rams, since we were actually a winning team at the time.

We play favorite too much. We need to get rid of EVERYONE but Blalock. They can all go. I would be happy with a completely new line, but sadly baker is going to be an albatross around out neck for another season or two.

I am fine with Holmes, he is getting better each week and I think he can be a solid starter next year. Holmes and the rest of the oline were getting beat left and right from Stunts and designed blitzes from the Bills. Holmes was fine in one on one handling the Ends but on stunts there was alot of confusion with Blalock and Holmes on Stunts. The other lineman struggled with stunts too which means that is on the coaching staff.

I'm not, He is not a NFL starting LT and I don't see where he is getting better. He to heavy footed IMHO and maybe move him inside as a back up LG if that can even be done or just cut him and Knoz both.

Edited by me4falcons

He looked good in camp because our guys on the opposite side of the ball are practically equally as bad lol.

I'm not, He is not a NFL starting LT and I don't see where he is getting better. He to heavy footed IMHO and maybe move him inside as a back up LG if that can even be done or just cut him and Knoz both.

A good offseason of training could do wonders for HOmles. We are stuck with Baker and his contract and at this point I would rather see holmes at LT because he has not reached his full potential as of yet compared to injury prone baker.

TD has a huge ego, imo. It is the only thing I can think of that explains it. If Clabo was booted for having a bad season, then we should have never resigned baker. Dude only had one above average season with us, but we give him a long term contract. The only reason I can think of is that TD moved up to get him and wants him to pan out to make him look good. We could have gotten Jake Long for cheaper than baker's contract. Heck, we probably could have gotten Long for cheaper than the rams, since we were actually a winning team at the time.

We play favorite too much. We need to get rid of EVERYONE but Blalock. They can all go. I would be happy with a completely new line, but sadly baker is going to be an albatross around out neck for another season or two.

We have to keep Baker, but that doesn't mean we must start him, or at least that we must start him at LT. I'd move him to RT or the Swing Tackle position, and upgrade the LT with our first pick. It all starts from there, and realistically, it's unusual for a guy like Long to hit the FA market, and certainly should not be counted on.

We should keep Blalock for his past performance. We should keep Konz & Holmes for their youth and potential, but draft guys who would be expected to start ahead of them. We should be picking RG with out #2 pick, and another C to compete in later rounds- along with Hawley. Add a FA perhaps, but I'm not wild about OL free agents making the bulk of the line. Reynolds would also be fine to keep, but I do not want him starting; I think he'd suffice in a short term pinch with quality on either side of him.

The whole idea that we are satisfied with our OTs is ludicrous to me after a whole systematic failure of the line this year.

A good offseason of training could do wonders for HOmles. We are stuck with Baker and his contract and at this point I would rather see holmes at LT because he has not reached his full potential as of yet compared to injury prone baker.

IDK Jay I just dont see it with holmes I would not wait on either. That position need to be address.

I am done with Konz because in this situation the combine number did translate to the game because he had a weak bench and it is clear he cannot hang with NFL Defensive tackles to play on the inside.

Then we go back to the question why was he drafted ? Then he gets put into the "process" and gets "cross trained" for 14 for every position on the line but his and we have another scrub to add to the list. There is clearly some very bad decision making taking place from the draft to gameday and this regime looks more suspect by the day.

IDK Jay I just dont see it with holmes I would not wait on either. That position need to be address.

I dont see us drafting a LT early due to Baker's contract, but if we improve the other interior spots like Center, Guard and RT and get a new Oline coach in the mix then we will be fine with Holmes

Then we go back to the question why was he drafted ? Then he gets put into the "process" and gets "cross trained" for 14 for every position on the line but his and we have another scrub to add to the list. There is clearly some very bad decision making taking place from the draft to gameday and this regime looks more suspect by the day.

I agree we need to make some changes

Holmes may develop, may not. But a healthy Baker is worlds better. Hawley was mediocre against the Bills- granted he went up against two of the better DT's in the league.

Next years line hopefully:

Baker

Blalock

FA

FA

Schraeder or FA

I don't see hawley being a good Center, average at best. But bringing in potentially 3 FA's for the Oline would be too expensive so I wouldn't be surprised if we roll with Hawley next year

that's funny. Duane Brown looked like Holmes, maybe even worse his first season and he was a first rounder. well he developed into an All-Pro after they switched line coaches from Alex Gibbs to John Benton

That's because he was in training camp and practice against our d-line.

Holmes may develop, may not. But a healthy Baker is worlds better. Hawley was mediocre against the Bills- granted he went up against two of the better DT's in the league.

Next years line hopefully:

Baker

Blalock

FA

FA

Schraeder or FA

I don't see hawley being a good Center, average at best. But bringing in potentially 3 FA's for the Oline would be too expensive so I wouldn't be surprised if we roll with Hawley next year

Why did we have to pay Baker. ughh.

I cannot see us getting 3 new linemen, even if it is a deep draft class. Maybe we get an OG or OT in FA and a OT or OG in the draft to be our starter and roll with hawley at C.

Why did we have to pay Baker. ughh.

I cannot see us getting 3 new linemen, even if it is a deep draft class. Maybe we get an OG or OT in FA and a OT or OG in the draft to be our starter and roll with hawley at C.

Yeah I don't see us getting 3 new linemen. I imagine 2 FA's, I don't see TD drafting a linemen, I think by now he even doubts his own abilities to draft them.

On another note, I'm watching nfl primetime and they are doing a segment on quarterbacks under pressure(Andrew Luck). He has the most pressures,sacks,hits, etc this season except for one quarterback who has more: Matt Ryan of course.

They were doing clips on his "horrible" offensive line, and while they do suck, even on the clips showing their sacks Luck has TWICE as long as Ryan does. Ryan gets the ball out so quick AND under pressure it's ridiculous. I truly cannot find an offensive line as bad as ours, if Luck or anybody was our quarterback we would literally break the single season sack record.