If We Do Go 7-9...

Miller2Rison

ok first of i wanna say that i know a lot of people on this board have wanted us to just tank the season for draft picks and i am guilty of that on occasion and it seemed like in the last game against Tampa thats what we did was just play with no heart and start tanking.

Seems like after New Orleans came to town we played with fire and with heart and like we wanted to win and it carried over into yesterday's game and we came away with a W.

Now back to tanking the season for draft picks, I don't care if you play for a high school team, a college team, a pee wee team, an arena team, a semi pro team, much less an NFL team when you run out of the tunnel on Friday niight, Saturday night, or Sunday afternoon your mind set isnt "were going to lose this game today for a higher draft pick" i dont know why some people think that NFL players think that way.

I wasn't even going to watch this game yesterday but after seeing the half time score the true fan came out in me and i decided to watch the second half, as a fan yes in a way i wanted us to tank for draft picks i do admit it but after watching the game i thought back to being player and thought when i put the pads on, no matter what the record was did i ever not give 110%? did i get any less pissed when we lost games at 10-1 than i did at 1-10? **** no. These guys are paid millions of dollars to play this game and now jobs are on the line, theyre going to start step it the f up to keep their jobs. who wants to lose the freakin dream job of being an NFL player so your team can have a high draft pick? that's right no body. I dont think some of you guys have ever played the game on any level much less a post high school level, i doubt some of you "tankers" that are pissed we won yesterday even played pee wee flag football. The win actually felt good to me, Herm Edwards said it best "you play to win the game. you don't play it just to play it."

OK now on to the point, if we do go 7-9 i think it puts us in a good position in the offseason going hot into the offseason and being able to start making moves earlier, Clowney is still obtainable through trades no matter what our record is at the end of the year.

Now I wanna look back at our 3 previous 7-9 seasons, I will start off with 2006, 2007 turned into a disaster but 2008 started a dynasty that's hit it's first bump in the road.

2001 we went 7-9 and we blew playoff chances with a 6-4 record but would only win one more game going 1-5 the last 6 games of the season. in 2002 after a 7-9 record, we had a hot streak and went 9-6-1 and was looked at as the hottest team in the league and made history at Lambeau field in the snow.

now this is the fun one, in 1997 we had a hot streak at the end of the season and went 7-9. 1998 is all i have to say.

i would like to see us finish hot, make some moves in the offseason and come back like its 1998 in 2014.

and i wanna beat the 49ers on MNF lol.

Ok so here's the danger of this.

If this were to happen then there's a very good chance the front office and staff says 'we weren't that bad. It must have been the injuries.'

Then they probably say we don't need to make sweeping changes. All we need is a guard and another playmaking WR in case Julio or Roddy get hurt again. We don't need to rebuild the lines... After all we won those games at the end.

This team needs a major overhaul to be competitive in the long run.

We don't need the front office to be confused by meaningless wins that ultimately don't count.

If this were to happen then there's a very good chance the front office and staff says 'we weren't that bad. It must have been the injuries.'

Then they probably say we don't need to make sweeping changes. All we need is a guard and another playmaking WR in case Julio or Roddy get hurt again. We don't need to rebuild the lines... After all we won those games at the end.

We don't need the front office to be confused by meaningless wins that ultimately don't count.

then our front office would need to be fired lol.

hd has proven he can carry the load if given the chance. with him and dj, wr should be the last thing on their mind. the only thing that should stand out is matt is getting killed regularly. and we are near the bottom of the league in sacks. now they might try to blame that on the loss of kroy, but with the dts coming up on the end of their contracts hopefully they will be forced to make some moves on both lines.

Could not have said it better. If this regime is going to stay in place, and unfortunately it looks like it's going to, then they don't need any more blinders. They need a season like this, a drop kick in the teeth to wake them up to the things they have been ignoring for too many years. If they start winning meaningless games at the end of the season, they're gonna go full ****** again.

The early success they had really hurt their development as a staff I think, which I don't blame them for in the beginning, but it's something they should have realized after the GB debacle. They go 11-5 in the first season and instead of thinking "how do we develope this team and make the foundation stronger, they said "oh, our foundation is fine, now we need to focus on finding that one last piece to get THIS group to the Super Bowl."

They were first time guys on the job though, the problem is is that they never learned from that mistake.

Winning now doesn't carry any momentum to next year. We won 13 games last year and almost made the Super Bowl. That had no bearing on us this year.

I fear Blank will cut everyone slack for injuries if we went 7-9.

And trading up for players in the draft is a big reason we're in this mess, no way we should trade up for Clowney.

And will anyone say "The Falcons weren't a bad team" if we won 7 games instead of 3? Highly doubtful

Guest Negatorris

If us winning the last few games 'confuses' the front office into making them believe we really don't have any internal problems, then they are horrible at evaluating and need to be fired immediately anyways. These are proffessionals, getting paid handsomely to make us a good football team, so if they cannot do their job correctly, and a little win streak blinds them to reality.

If us winning the last few games 'confuses' the front office into making them believe we really don't have any internal problems, then they are horrible at evaluating and need to be fired immediately anyways. These are proffessionals, getting paid handsomely to make us a good football team, so if they cannot do their job correctly, and a little win streak blinds them to reality.

The problem is how did we end up here in the first place?

They either completely missed or ignored the growing problem we've had with both lines the last few seasons. Basically we have had handsomely paid professionals making horrible mistakes with player evaluation. So we've established this has already happened.

We were winning games so fixing the lines was never that big of a priority and when they tried to address the o-line the logic was 'well we just drafted these guys so they're going to start.' It should have been are the guys we drafted going to be an improvement over the guys we already have there.

I want the team to improve and I've already seen this front office have hubris and over-evaluate players they've drafted in the past. I don't want anything to cloud their judgement this time.

I like winning as much as the next guy but I like winning when it counts more.

I agree with most of what has been said. If we go 7-9, then TD and group will chalk it up to injuries. This team has MAJOR problems that have not been fixed since DAY 1. McKay's guys have been masking the problems, but they need to be solved.

Our Dline SUCKS. Our OLine SUCKS. We have barely done anything to fix either of them. We continue to stack up on Skills players. When TD came here, I thought we would build a team like NE, Solid Defense, Strong Oline, etc. Instead we look more like the Colts with our need to build up our offense(mine the line) and ignore our Defense.

7-9 or 3-13, a lot of changes will still be made with our staff and players.

I do not buy this at all. 7-9 and the same ******** will continue. We knew we had problems last year on both lines and all we did was resign ****in Baker and sign Osi, while letting go of grimes, walker, and Abe. We did nothing to push us over the edge. Seattle on the other hand got two DEs.

I've been at the point Where I personally don't care how many they win for a few weeks. I want them to compete every week. Sunday and against the Saints were the only 2 times this season I've seen competitive football from this team. Just the thought of being able to choose from the better players in each round is a bit intriguing

Actually 6-10 is not out of the question. With a healthy Rodgers it wouldn't be but I think the Falcons could pull this week out. Then they have Washington and they will most likely win that. Then riding a little win streak they still lose to San Fran but end up playing hard against panthers and beat them the last game like Tampa did to us last year.

if we go 7-9 it will be the biggest tragedy in falcons history

More of a tragedy than:

1. Michael Vick admitting to running a dog fighting ring?
  2. Petrino leaving a note to quit to take the Arkansas job
  3. The 98 Superbowl
  4. Eugene Robinson's pre-party for the Superbowl
  5. Having the #8 pick and choosing Jamaal Anderson?

Some people should brush up on their history.

God, 7-9 is the worst possible record you can have in the NFL and we have people who actually want to fight for that mark.

We go 3-13 and maybe we can trick some team into giving us a couple 1st and 2nd round picks to move up. We could fill a lot of holes with those pics, and make no mistake about it.....this team is full of holes. We go 7-9 and we have just our 1 pick and the process is a lot more difficult.

Edited by the_sheff

More of a tragedy than:

1. Michael Vick admitting to running a dog fighting ring?
  2. Petrino leaving a note to quit to take the Arkansas job
  3. The 98 Superbowl
  4. Eugene Robinson's pre-party for the Superbowl
  5. Having the #8 pick and choosing Jamaal Anderson?

Some people should brush up on their history.

absolutely. with high picks and the pieces already in place the falcons have the potential to field the best team they have ever had in the history of the franchise.

and the 98 super bowl was not a tragedy. that is the most successful the falcons have ever been.