Would You Replace Nolan With Rex Ryan If He Gets Fired?

Stop. You have no idea what you're talking about.

I asked a question. You couldn't answer.

I mean. Personally, I would consider somebody like Chuck Noll a defensive mastermind. You probably have never heard of him since you seem really young, but if you asked me why I felt that way I'd have no trouble listing his great many innovations on defense and his influence across the league both past and present.

You, OTOH, can't tell me a single **** thing that makes Rex Ryan a mastermind. You haven't told me anything. What defense did he invent? What scheme did he innovate? What makes him more than merely a good coach?

Edited by David Deas
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jets Defensive Rankings:

2008 (Before Rex):

PPG: 18'th

Pass YPG: 29'th

Rush YPG: 7'th

2009 (First year under Rex):

PPG: 1'st

Pass YPG: 1'st

Rush YPG: 8'th

But yeah, he wouldn't help us at all.

Oh yeah, and the best defense in the league this year said they're modeling their defense after Rex's.

But yeah, he wouldn't help us at all.

Edited by Lornoth

Oh yeah, and the best defense in the league this year said they're modeling their defense after Rex's.

Is that why their defense also seems to come up short in big moments?

Look. Rex is a good coach. But he ain't his father. He's not even **** Lebeau, who has been successful for a lot longer and actually innovated popular concepts like the zone blitz.

Rex is a good coach. But it doesn't go beyond that. He's not a football mastermind.

Edited by David Deas

Look. Rex is a good coach. But he ain't his father. He's not even **** Lebeau, who has been successful for a lot longer and actually innovated popular concepts like the zone blitz.

Rex is a good coach. But it doesn't go beyond that. He's not a football mastermind.

No offence but you sound like you dont really know what your talking about. I hate Rex Ryan but he is an exceptional DC. As long as he has been there the Jets have a great aggressive Defence that consistently has performed with fairly ordinary talent. He has creative schemes that sends blitzes from all parts of the field and causes nightmares for opposing qbs and OC's. The guy is good. That being said I'm a huge Nolan fan and would like him to stay but be given more control. Anyone who has watched his defences in the past knows he inherited a team (4-3 zone) that doesn't have his style of preferred player (3-4 man).

I don't want to replace Nolan with anybody. Despite having to field a defense with sub par D lineman, no consistent pass rusher,a couple UDFA LBers and a starting rookie CB the unit has played well enough to keep us in most games had the offense done their part. Change for change sake alone is not always the answer. Get the guy some better players before throwing him in the trash.

I like Nolan, and am OK if we keep him, but if we were able to replace him with Ryan i would do it in a second.

As mentioned, Ryan is as good as it gets as a DC. His problem was he got too caught up in the media frenzy of being a HC in NY. He lost his focus on defense due to trying to solve other issues (anything related to offense went bad) and be a star, it it hurt him.

Get him behind the scenes again doing what he does best and the results would be great.

He and Smith have spent time together, and we all know how much Blank likes a scapegoat for failure, and the big name splash, so i would completely rule it out. Rex did want to come to ATL before as well.

I don't want to replace Nolan with anybody. Despite having to field a defense with sub par D lineman, no consistent pass rusher,a couple UDFA LBers and a starting rookie CB the unit has played well enough to keep us in most games had the offense done their part. Change for change sake alone is not always the answer. Get the guy some better players before throwing him in the trash.

We have had some good D coords in here, one of which (Zimmer in Cincy) is thought to be one of the best in the league.

Nolan can coach. He built a lot of the SF defense that was so good a couple years back. Nolan did a great job in Denver.

We need to stop talking about changing systems and coords, and find some players for the coaches we have. That is THE only way you build a long term offense and defense, and that takes time.

Bringing in new coaches means new systems means new players and meanwhile our team loses and fans start calling for change and change comes because the old coaches 'could not get the job done' and so NEW coaches get hired and NEW schemes are brought in and NEW players are needed....its an endless cycle.

We need to keep Nolan, Koetter too.

We have had some good D coords in here, one of which (Zimmer in Cincy) is thought to be one of the best in the league.

Nolan can coach. He built a lot of the SF defense that was so good a couple years back. Nolan did a great job in Denver.

We need to stop talking about changing systems and coords, and find some players for the coaches we have. That is THE only way you build a long term offense and defense, and that takes time.

Bringing in new coaches means new systems means new players and meanwhile our team loses and fans start calling for change and change comes because the old coaches 'could not get the job done' and so NEW coaches get hired and NEW schemes are brought in and NEW players are needed....its an endless cycle.

We need to keep Nolan, Koetter too.

I am not sold on Koetter. I would love to bring in a ZBS guy on offense to help our run game. Matt Ryan can take over games, but expecting an offense to do it consistently is not going to happen, especially in the playoffs. Defense always seem to step up in playoff games.

I agree that Nolan needs to be able to build his defense. The man has not had a chance. Who did we bring in his first offseason? Asante… I honestly cannot think of anyone else. Most of the guys were already here and he had this defense looking good. Last year we let go Abe, Walker, Drob, and grimes and only bring in Osi, while drafting two CBs early and Des late. TD has completely ignored the defense. That has got to stop. I want this offseason to be 100% about Defense.( Maybe 80% defense 20% Oline).

yes and anyone that says no is a fool. he is the best defensive coach in the league. unfortunately he's a garbage head coach because he talks too much and cant coach offense at all.

but as a DC? yes. he would make this team worlds better. even if he's fired from the jets some stupid team will offer him a HC job though so its not happening.

He's not a garbage hc either, highly doubt he is fired. But yes without a doubt.

Yes. Without hesitation

I would probably do it, but with a lot of hesitation. Smith would need to be given a lot of reassurances as HC, but he would also have to give up a lot of control on the defensive side. Guarantee you there is no way that Smith holds back what Ryan would want to do defensively. We'd have to give in 100% to the scheme Ryan wants to run & I think that would be hard for Smith to give up that much control. Then there is the factor of Ryan being a large public figure with a loud, and constantly running mouth, something we have not done here & I think his personality would quickly overshadow Smith's to the point that it wouldn't take long to question who is really in control in Atlanta.

Please.

Pretty much everybody who had a coaching job with the Ravens got to be hailed as a defensive genius by some, regardless of their actual ability to coach. Regardless even of the fact that the Ravens had a dominant defense before they got there. Truth is, no matter who it was wearing whatever hat the Ravens defense kept on playing great football, which was a testament to the caliber of players they had.

So correction. You would answer my question with something more specific if you actually could.

Lol your dumb

Rex ryan is the best DC of this era and this is not even close, I suggest that you do some research. Yes he is the dc responsible for the ravens vaunted defense, just like the jets.

Wasn't meek mike the lbs coach back then? Also everyone is overreacting about rex being a loose cannon. He didn't become that way until he was an hc.rHe said he did it to motivate his players.

Still the jets would be crazy to fire him, he is a genius. Everyone questioned drafting Wilkerson and sheldon, yet those 2 are balling out of control. Also dee milliner is starting to look good, so is darrin walls.

Edited by osiruz

This. I like Rex as a cartoon character I can make fun of on ESPN, but he is not the genius some want to give his credit for. Good coach, definitely, but not a genius. And with the personnel we have, something tells me he would have much the same results as Nolan is having. I don't think it is a scheme issue, but rather a personnel problem.