If There Were One Choice Of A Line To Fix For Next Season - Ol Or Dl?

Theyhateme : )

Patriots vs Giants in Superbowl

Who won?

Giants, twice. Defense please. Our o-line can be addressed via FA, no more rookie o-lineman please. Our offense is good enough to put up points. We need to be able to stop our opponents from outscoring us.

Our OL needs to be good enough to have some degree of a running game. They need to be able to convert short yardage, so as to keep the D off the field.

But hey, I want both. If I had the choice of a [serviceable OL and an elite DL] or an [elite OL and serviceable DL], I'd take the serviceable OL and elite DL every time... but our OL is not serviceable.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Patriots vs Giants in Superbowl

Who won?

Giants, twice. Defense please. Our o-line can be addressed via FA, no more rookie o-lineman please. Our offense is good enough to put up points. We need to be able to stop our opponents from outscoring us.

And yet, which team is consistently good and which is consistently average? Giants won because a whistle should have been blown when Eli was wrapped up. And Asante dropped the interception that would've sealed it

If limited to one--I vote OL. However, I really believe that our position in this draft will allow us to go a long way to greatly improving both. TD just needs to carefully evaluate our needs vs our position in each round, add some creative maneuvering and we could have a monster draft.

I REALLY would like to see that creative maneuvering. If we end up with a top 2 or 3 pick, we could potentially (albeit unlikely) end up with 3 1st round picks.

We only scored 13 with all of those players in week 1

17, but whatever.

I can also point out yesterday when we put up 34 on the road against a good pass rush, and 31 in week 2, and 23 in week 3, and 23 in week 4, and 28 in week 5 until Julio went out.

Sounds like a good offense. Need me to list the amount of points we gave up in those games?

And if the same staff drafts new O-linemen what happens???

Baker (1)-------Holmes(3)--------Schrader (UDFA)

Blalock(2)------Gunn(UDFA)

Konz(2)---------Hawley(4)

Reynolds(5)

Johnson(3)----TrueBlood(?)-----Locklear(3)-----Jones(UDFA)

Do the Falcons get more of the Same?????

need to get different scouts to find different O-linemen ---- the current scouts aren't cutting it

IR

And if the same staff drafts new O-linemen what happens???

Baker (1)-------Holmes(3)--------Schrader (UDFA)

Blalock(2)------Gunn(UDFA)

Konz(2)---------Hawley(4)

Reynolds(5)

Johnson(3)----TrueBlood(?)-----Locklear(3)-----Jones(UDFA)

Do the Falcons get more of the Same?????

need to get different scouts to find different O-linemen ---- the current scouts aren't cutting it

IR

+1M

This is crazy to me after the san Fran loss everybody was bent on building a defense. Now that Ryan is struggling our first priority should be to give him more. I'm not saying we don't need to upgrade the oline but it's obvious that the d line is just as bad and as important.

Are you serious? "The OL will improve with further reps and experience." Really???

They aren't talented. Baker has been bad for 6 years now. Blalock is solid. Everyone else looks worse than when the season started. We have no talent there. No strength. It breaks the back of our entire team and it's a miracle Ryan isn't injured.

Our offense can't even stay on the field because we can't run and we can't pass. The D gets winded and turns into complete trash because they keep going back out there after we fail on another third down

Our offense, when healthy, operates at a perfectly adequate level. The OL isn't a new issue, its been a problem since 2009. And we've had success during that time. I'm all for upgrading the talent but not at the cost of continuing to trot out an ineffective defense.

If I HAVE to choose one, its the DL. Thankfully, we don't HAVE to choose one. However, if we're talking resource allocation, I'd much prefer we put a majority of our resources into upgrading a defense that has been an issue for years and years.

Again, teams win with ****** OLs all the time. Teams generally don't win with ****** defenses....you've gotta be at least average and even then you need a **** ton of luck to succeed.

Our offense, when healthy, operates at a perfectly adequate level. The OL isn't a new issue, its been a problem since 2009. And we've had success during that time. I'm all for upgrading the talent but not at the cost of continuing to trot out an ineffective defense.

If I HAVE to choose one, its the DL. Thankfully, we don't HAVE to choose one. However, if we're talking resource allocation, I'd much prefer we put a majority of our resources into upgrading a defense that has been an issue for years and years.

Again, teams win with ****** OLs all the time. Teams generally don't win with ****** defenses....you've gotta be at least average and even then you need a **** ton of luck to succeed.

You're right. The answer is clearly DL. If the entire team is healthy, the Atlanta Falcons have a TOP-TIER offense, yet still a BAD defense. It's as easy as looking at the scores of the games we've played this season.

How everyone can't see this is beyond me.

Re: "creative maneuvering", my thoughts depend on whether Clowney is available. At this point I am assuming that he will not. Also that Baker and Holmes will be Smitty's choice for LT until Baker's contract expires. Two choices--- 1) top LT don't last long. We are in a position to get one this draft but would have to put him at RT until Baker is through. That would be an expensive RT. Or, 2) sign a FA RT ( Michael Oher ) and proceed with a draft along these lines--- Assuming we don't use our 1st pick on Clowney or Jake Matthews, trade back our pick to a pick between10 and15 and pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd rd. pick.

1) Draft DE/DT( Stephon Tuitt --elite size, speed, strength to play 5 technique in 3/4, and 3 tech. in 4/3. Rated 1st rd. pick.)

2) OG (Cyril Richardson--- massive, powerful mauler, surprisingly athletic, dominating dive blocker. Rated late 1st - 2nd rd.

3a) OG/T (David Yonkey Sanford 6' 5" 311 lbs. Projected rd. 1-3. Equally effective as run or pass blocker. First team All-American by AFCA and Sporting News. Has played left guard and RT). 2014 draft deep in OL. While we have this opportunity take a second quality OG/T who might pay RT now but in a year or two take Blaylock's place.

Alternate-- OG ( Zack Martin 6'4" 308lbs. Versatile ,consistent, quick, athletic, relentless motor, physical at point of attack, good pass blocker. Projected rd. 2-3.

3b) Best TE available.

4) RB (Damien Williams Okla. 5'11" 214lbs. 4.60 '40' Projected round 4-6. Nice combination of quickness, elusiveness and size. Patient runner and nice receiving ability.)

5) Best Safety available.

6 and7) Draft for depth.

Possible pick at rd.7 or UDFA --- ? Thomas DT Arkansas Late draft pick because broken leg in Oct. against Sou. Carolina. 6'3" 318lb. Uses hands well, among strongest Razorbacks. Good leader. Voted team captain.

FA--- (NT Paul Soliai. Age 29 6'4" 340lbs Salary 2012 = 2.45 million)

Edited by Eye of the Falcon

Yeah, we got to get this OL fixed, whatever that takes, and we're just not going to know what that will take until the end of the season. Pretty safe to say it's going to take at least two, maybe three upgrades to really feel like we have a unit that can play at a high level on pass and run plays. But there should be a way to get a stud for DE in the draft or FA. If it has to be either DL or OL, I'm with you. Offense is top priority.

I agree that I'd rather have a serviceable OL and elite DL than vice versa. I think with a serviceable (mid tier...top 15) type OL, this offense can be fine.

However, we're not there. So if I had a magic wand, I'd probably fix the DL, figuring I should be able to fix the OL in draft and FA. But if we're going by resources, I'd go toward the OL...because 2 guys should get it done, whereas it might take 4 on D...that is, we still might not get there in one year, and our offense HAS to work for this team to be competitive.

In practice, I'd get 2 FA OL, and a 3rd round OG, and get DL in the 1st and 2nd round of the draft (and maybe FA DT).

Basically, in the first 3 rounds and FA, I wouldn't mind seeing 3 OL and 3 DL.

I'm not saying our D isn't terrible. I completely agree. I'm just saying I'd rather score 40 ppg than 17. But thankfully we can fix BOTH this offseason and not have to worry about it.

You watching the saints game tonight?

Seattle shut down their offense, and that carried into Seattle's offense scoring more points.

Seriously, kno Lombardi team has ever won without a top 5 defense or close to it.

Edited by osiruz