What Smith Said To Alford After The Lateral

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So when the players don't take chances, it's a problem. When they do take chances, it's a problem. If there was one single bill in sight to break that up, I could understand the crying. Trufant was RIGHT THERE and signaled for the ball, he knee he had a clear lqne and nothing was unexpected. **** Yall are softer than coach smith

So when the players don't take chances, it's a problem. When they do take chances, it's a problem. If there was one single bill in sight to break that up, I could understand the crying. Trufant was RIGHT THERE and signaled for the ball, he knee he had a clear lqne and nothing was unexpected. **** Yall are softer than coach smith

Smith was right and so was Alford.. It's was a great play but it shouldn't happen again..

Smith was right and so was Alford.. It's was a great play but it shouldn't happen again..

I'm not questioning who's wrong or who's right. If there is an opportunity to make a play, you take it, especially when you are trying to win. Isn't that what the board said about Matt sliding. I mean ****, he should be happy he has some guys that actually wanna win a ball game for him

So what? We won. Shut yer semen repository.

Maybe you should shut yours fool! He is right, you don't leave 20 seconds on the clock! By doing that he sends a message that he has no killer instinct and neither do his players. The team won despite the play of the offensive line and the back and forth conservative play of Smith. I've always liked Smith, but I see him now as coach who has no clear mindset as to how he wants to coach, and he looks like a big ***** as a result of it. Smith has left time on the clock before halftimes this year and last. The team will make a big play and he'll follow it up by taking a knee, and then ultimately losing the game.

SMH at our fanbase. More times than not, things go bad when you start lateraling. Better to let your offense get the yardage instead of taking a risk that would cost you the game. Some of you guys need to just go cheer for an Arena team so you'll get all the points and risks you want...

Yes, lets trust our garbage OL to hold up for another series of downs.

Exactly... we lose again

I do not care if it is 1 loss or 10 loss's I do not like to lose.

Neither does Smith. Had we lost you idiots would be bitching about Smitty now having discipline of the team.

Smitty telling his players to not do stupid **** is what a good coach is suppose to do.

Exactly, Smith is still a coach trying to win. Though many here see this as aggressive play, I dare say you would find few coaches who would promote their players lateraling the ball in such a situation. Look at it. This was overtime, not a desperation play with the clock running out. The Falcons' offense had been moving the ball, so there was no reason to believe they could not get in field goal range. At this point, just getting the ball was the goal and the acheivment, but that could have easily been turned to disaster by giving the ball right back to the Bills. To not criticized this play because it worked, is exactly the same as criticizing a fourth down call because it did not work. The situation dictates when a risk should be taken, and to me, this situation did not call for it.

People are expecting Smith to coach recklessly because of the 2-9 record, but he is coaching to win games and prepare players for the future, so why would he promote bonehead play? It is amusing to me that if the play had resulted in the Bills getting the ball right back, the same ones here would have been criticizing an undisciplined team.

The same one that helped get us the other 31 points?

The same one that got Ryan sacked 6 times. For every good thing the line did, it did several more things bad. Run blocking was better, but pass protection was worse and sometimes completely non-existent.

Had it not been for the Bills turnovers, then we would have surely lost, and you could have pointed to the OL for another terrible game, and a defense that still can't tackle for ****.

I'm happy with the win, but I am still very disappointed with how the F.O. could have ever thought that the OL was going to be up to the task.

Edited by 4dabirds

I swear to god, you knuckleheads will find anything to complain about.

Bottom line is this. The risk of something negative happening during the lateral far outweighs the reward. Period. Even the most aggressive coach in the league would've said the same thing. "Great play, but don't ever do that again"

He said Smith told him "great play but don't ever scare me like that again" lol

Good points, and I think this movie clip sums up the conversation between Smith and Alford.

Edited by AREA51

The same one that got Ryan sacked 6 times. For every good thing the line did, it did several more things bad. Run blocking was better, but pass protection was worse and sometimes completely non-existent.

Had it not been for the Bills turnovers, then we would have surely lost, and you could have pointed to the OL for another terrible game, and a defense that still can't tackle for ****.

I'm happy with the win, but I am still very disappointed with how the F.O. could have ever thought that the OL was going to be up to the task.

In all fairness to the FO, I'm sure they weren't counting on both starting OT's to miss pretty much the entire season, having to play a street guy at RT, Reynolds forgetting how to play and Konz sucking out the azz (although that's really the one I hold most against them because I thought it was a crappy pick).

I'm glad we won as I don't think we'll see many more W's this season...

i like Alfordbeing a play maker but lets not just act like this could not have ended negativly ... If anything Smitty is to safe ... But that play could have EASILY been a fumble ... Abill could have tipped the ball .. tru could have dropped it.

Again .... I love taking a risk to be a play maker ... alford did his thing

What happens if Ryan throws deep and it's intercepted? What if Smitty goes for it on 4th down? You take chances. These are professional football players, not the peewee league. They know how to lateral a football and you got to give them a little more credit than thinking they did it blindly not making sure the coast was clear. I've seen the same play happen so many times with Deion and DeAngelo Hall, so it wasn't even shocking to see it happen. I've never seen a little lateral get dropped unless it's during the final play of a game as a result of desperation, and those are the planned ones.

Ok man. I implore you to ask ANY football coach if that was a smart play and 95% , maybe more, will say emphatically "NO."

Playing aggressively doesn't mean play dumb.

I think you guys get that mixed up a lot

how in the **** is it unexpected if Trufant was right there calling for it

Lol...its unexpected because it wasn't a designed play.

This is simple football understanding man. You don't lateral at that moment. Its not smart. It worked out! Great! Awesome!

Please go out and ask any football coach if this was a smart play. Come back and tell me what you get.

Its crazy that this is a multi page debate. I think its hilarious how uninformed some of you are.

What COULD have happened doesn't change what DID happen. Be scared boys. Be very scared.

Maybe Alford should have slid or maybe just punted it!

This is one of the dumbest posts in this thread and there are a lot.

This isn't the only game being played. You don't want Alford doing it in future games because that could lead to a negative and a loss.

If Smith endorsed this type if play, then I would want him fired on the spot.

No competent HC will want their player to do such a thing.

Smith handled it well: "Great play but don't do that again or scare me like that again"

Applaud the result while making light of how that could have turned out and most likely will turn out if done in future games.

The level of uniformity is mind boggling. Lol