Not Convinced We Have Our Left Tackle On Roster

MSalmon

I think TD could pick Jake Matthews with our first pick for the following reasons:

1) unsure if bakers health

2) rookie cap makes Matthews "cheap" amd lets us retain Holmes and baker

3) Matthews can loa both tackle positions

4) Matthews is a clear upgrade over our existing tackles and we have an elite pocket QB

5) if baker is healthy could let Holmes compete for G or be depth

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-blog/2012/05/15/falcons-sign-lamar-holmes-to-a-4-year-contract/

What say you all?

I know Matthews wouldn't be a sexy pick, but he'd be a solid investment. And end result we'd have depth at the a Tackle spots.

I think its possible, but i wouldn't deem it likely. I would rather trade back and get Lewan if we are thinking about going OT in the 1st round. I don't think either one is significantly better than the other. We also don't know the deal with Schraeder. I for one haven't seen anything that suggests he is a hidden gem or some sleeper, but alot of other people around here see it so maybe there is something to it.

I think its possible, but i wouldn't deem it likely. I would rather trade back and get Lewan if we are thinking about going OT in the 1st round. I don't think either one is significantly better than the other. We also don't know the deal with Schraeder. I for one haven't seen anything that suggests he is a hidden gem or some sleeper, but alot of other people around here see it so maybe there is something to it.

I think that's a lot of faith put in an UDFA (Schraeder) on this board. If he was the "deal" he'd be starting.

Time to ante up and build the OL this year

4) Matthews is a clear upgrade over our existing tackles and we have an elite pocket QB

This the number one concern on the Oline. If we have a pocket, then the tackles can be mediocre. There aren't many top teams, with elite LTs, but if you have a strong interior, then you can weather most problems.

I think that's a lot of faith put in an UDFA (Schraeder) on this board. If he was the "deal" he'd be starting.

Time to ante up and build the OL this year

Do you seriously believe that? After seeing how much better our backups have proven to be, at multiple positions, b/c of injury, do really believe that he's only not on the field, b/c he's not as good?

Do you seriously believe that? After seeing how much better our backups have proven to be, at multiple positions, b/c of injury, do really believe that he's only not on the field, b/c he's not as good?

Schraeder hasn't been overly awesome. He looked to have promise, but is far from ready.

This the number one concern on the Oline. If we have a pocket, then the tackles can be mediocre. There aren't many top teams, with elite LTs, but if you have a strong interior, then you can weather most problems.

Pressure up the middle can be seen by QB and he can maneuver away. Blind side hits are what has Ryan so jumpy.

Easier to fill the OG position with a vet FA than to get a stellar OT

I think TD could pick Jake Matthews with our first pick for the following reasons:

1) unsure if bakers health

2) rookie cap makes Matthews "cheap" amd lets us retain Holmes and baker

3) Matthews can loa both tackle positions

5) if baker is healthy could let Holmes compete for G or be depth

http://blogs.ajc.com...-year-contract/

What say you all?

I know Matthews wouldn't be a sexy pick, but he'd be a solid investment. And end result we'd have depth at the a Tackle spots.

I literally think there is very little chance the Falcons take Jake Matthews - Falcons have invested significantly at Left Tackle w/ Sam Baker's 40mm contract and drafting Lamar Holmes in 3rd round - both are average Left Tackles when there are bigger holes on the offensive line and defensive lines.

I literally think there is very little chance the Falcons take Jake Matthews - Falcons have invested significantly at Left Tackle w/ Sam Baker's 40mm contract and drafting Lamar Holmes in 3rd round - both are average Left Tackles when there are bigger holes on the offensive line and defensive lines.

We heavily invested in Ray Edwards and moved on..ditto for tyson Clabo. Again, we've got to factor the rookie pay scale and how it lets us invest in a pick like a Matthews and even keep a baker.

I'm all for Clowney, but if we take an honest assessment a chance at a guy like Matthews doesn't come around often

We heavily invested in Ray Edwards and moved on..ditto for tyson Clabo. Again, we've got to factor the rookie pay scale and how it lets us invest in a pick like a Matthews and even keep a baker.

I'm all for Clowney, but if we take an honest assessment a chance at a guy like Matthews doesn't come around often

simply put, left tackle could be upgraded but its down the list of what we need. If Clowney is gone and Falcons have Jake Matthews rated higher than I do - maybe they pull the name off the board - but I don't see it.

Given that Falcons are tied to Baker for at least two more years and that he is ill-equipped to play the other positions and given that Lamar Holmes is still developing - why draft a left tackle now when there are so many other holes on this team - its not like we have NOTHING at left tackle - I agree that Holmes/Baker are nothing special - but we have so many holes and - I just don't know that Jake Matthews is that special....

http://www.buffalobi...couting-report/

Not even close to baker. Completely different players. Worse case scenario, if his arm length is impediment which I think it won't, he's a hevkuva RT and can play G. As unlike baker or Holmes he is a great run blocker

If you honestly think Matthews can play at G in the NFL then I very seriously doubt you know what you're talking about. He can barely handle bull rushes at LT as it is.

If you honestly think Matthews can play at G in the NFL then I very seriously doubt you know what you're talking about. He can barely handle bull rushes at LT as it is.

I didn't write article. But you obviously have barely watched him play. He's quite stout against bull rushes. The knock on him is the dreaded "arm length" and speed rushers. And he's great at run blocking.

simply put, left tackle could be upgraded but its down the list of what we need. If Clowney is gone and Falcons have Jake Matthews rated higher than I do - maybe they pull the name off the board - but I don't see it.

Given that Falcons are tied to Baker for at least two more years and that he is ill-equipped to play the other positions and given that Lamar Holmes is still developing - why draft a left tackle now when there are so many other holes on this team - its not like we have NOTHING at left tackle - I agree that Holmes/Baker are nothing special - but we have so many holes and - I just don't know that Jake Matthews is that special....

Depends. Clowney, I agree should be the top target. Barr scares me. If jake is BPA at that high and a clear upgrade, it'd be foolish to overdraft someone else.

I'd normally put Nix in the discussion, but he just injured his knee.

CJ Mosley could be a possibility as well.

As far as being tied to baker, you know as I do that spottrac or our cap gurus are rarely right. There seems to always be a way to cut a player. But, **** what if the kept baker. Drafted Matthews put him at rt. Developed Holmes more. Is that all bad? Not really

But GDawg, I'd be perfectly happy if we signed Michael Johnson and Arthur jones. And drafted Matthews and a G back to back (Richardson or Jackson). That'd be a heckuva draft

Depends. Clowney, I agree should be the top target. Barr scares me. If jake is BPA at that high and a clear upgrade, it'd be foolish to overdraft someone else.

I'd normally put Nix in the discussion, but he just injured his knee.

CJ Mosley could be a possibility as well.

As far as being tied to baker, you know as I do that spottrac or our cap gurus are rarely right. There seems to always be a way to cut a player. But, **** what if the kept baker. Drafted Matthews put him at rt. Developed Holmes more. Is that all bad? Not really

If Clowney is not available, my 2nd option would be trading down. Drafting Jake Matthews would probably be choice #3.

If Clowney is not available, my 2nd option would be trading down. Drafting Jake Matthews would probably be choice #3.

I'd be great with a trade down. Depending on where we pick, I may mock a trade with Cleveland to get Bridgewater. Two firsts and at least an extra second would be great, plus prolly get a early round pick next year.

I'm watching Trent Murphy now. He's one of those guys the combine will either vault him up or make him slip a round. Tough, tenacious kid