Is It Really The Coaches Fault Or The Players Drafted And Given To Our Coaches?

Nono

We can look at Mike Smith's body of work and if you back up he has simply been the best coach the Falcons have ever had no disrespect to Leeman Bennett. He is a great guy who knows the game and has his head in every game every down. I am sure he feels like sheet and wants more than anyone in Atlanta to turn this around not because he may or may not lose his job, but he loves football, this team and this city.

My question is, "Can you really fault Mike Smith and his staff completely for this colossal fall or is really more of function of the scheme and type of players drafted and the moves made around the draft"

I think its more of the second, small speed cut block players and ignoring the trenches for an explosive offense, ie selling tickets. I love having Julio but that move alone has hurt us but not sure we would have drafted DL or OL. Would I rather have a couple of players in the trenches versus Julio? Naw, I want Julio but ignoring the pass rush and flushing the OL were inexcusible moves.

I blame TD more than anyone, and he will walk scott free and get a pass on this disaster. He more than anyone has egg on his face and should be repremanded.

Just my thoughts---Happy Thanksgiving to all my TATF friends

Edited by Nono

That's not a simple question to answer. On the one hand, one would think that the primary logic of Dimitroff and Smith is to draft players who best fit the schemes by which they are planning to operate on offense and defense. And if those players don't pan out, excluding anything injury-related, then, the buck has to stop with them. Players aren't "given to" coaches; they are hand-picked through the draft, FA, waivers, etc. Since the end of training camp to now, every player on the Falcons 53-man roster is there because either Smith and/or Dimitroff WANTS them on the roster. On the other hand, however, I will add that it is the players themselves who are ultimately responsible for their performance on the field. For example, Holmes has admitted that he came into the season out of shape.That's Holmes' fault, primarily, but you also have to wonder why the Falcons strength and conditioning staff didn't address this prior to the start of the season. This team has some serious issues to address and on a myriad of levels - coaches included.

It's not like Smith ande the other coachs have no say in who gets drafted.

TD does not pick players on his own and hand them over.

The "group" looks at and ranks all players at various positions.

After the group ranking it's up to TD to attempt to get the best player(at a position of need) still available at his draft slot.

"group" ===== TD, scouts, All coaches, other staff, and several expert consultants

We need to stop drafting "nice" guys all the time. We need some guys with mean streaks in them. Yea maybe they got arrested for a drug possesion in college...Did they do anything wrong since then? Did they learn from it? Are they great players with lots of potential? PULL THE TRIGGER AND DRAFT THEM. Don't draft the next guy behind them because he doesn't have that one criminal charge on his record.

I am not saying go out drafting thugs left and right.. I am simply saying we need to be open to drafting these guys that might have made mistakes in the past but have moved on & learned from them.

Another thing is we need to start taking flyers on these freakish athletes that may be raw in some areas. Some of the guys I wanted but were too "raw" : Demaryius Thomas (Couldn't run routes they said HAHAHAHA). Michael Johnson (1 year wonder.. uhhh 6'6 and a freakish athlete... TAKE A CHANCE!) Carlos Dunlap (Previous issues with the law...Again freakish athlete, TAKE A CHANCE!), Jimmy Graham (played on my fav college team. They said not enough time playing football and was extremely raw...Uhhh hello 4.5 40 time, 6'6 freakish athelte...TAKE A CHANCE!)

Edited by PriMeTiiMe

The old chicken or the egg argument. Well it's BOTH. TD and his band of non-scouts cannot select a dominant player to save their lives. Smitty and his band of non-coaches couldn't coach them even if TD accidentally brought in the right people. So as you can see...we have dumb and dumber running things with Chief Dummy (Arthur) backing them.

Smith is an indecisive fellow. I'm sure that carries through to the draft as well. He doesn't have a direction, therefore the team doesn't have a direction. We have a bunch of pieces that don't fit what we try and do. I can just picture TD trying to talk to smith about a player they are thinking about drafting. It's probably TD doing all the talking and smith just nodding his head with minimal input. He can not evaluate talent. It's obvious that he doesn't know what type of player he is looking for, he doesn't know what player to put on the field, he is clueless about lineman. There is nothing good about Mike Smith. Nothing

We need to stop drafting "nice" guys all the time. We need some guys with mean streaks in them.

It's not about drafting "nice" guys all the time. The problem is the HC doesn't have a vision that he can communicate to the GM. I want a dominant, mauling OL and DL who blows our opponents off the ball. I want WRs who go up and attack the ball in the air (not prima donnas who wait on the ball), RBs that can get 5 or more yards after contact, and defensive players who can fundamentally tackle. Once you have those players then you need to have the right play callers on offense and defense that ATTACKS a team and does NOT take what they give you mentality. It ain't TD cause he can't draft or sign the right FAs and it ain't Smitty because we've all watched is predictable, ultra-conservative play calling for the past six years now. They won't change in one more year. Arthur is fooling himself.

The defense was in rebuilding mode from a cover 2 4-3 to a LEO 4-3. Combine that with the injuries and the amount of rookies then it isn't surprising that unit is struggling. Nolan is a great coordinator but he isn't a miracle worker. Expect the front seven to be the focal point of the next offseason to fix these personnel deficiencies. They don't exactly have much choice on that front since three our of four DTs are in contract years, though from what I've heard they're already working on re-signing Peters which is good since he's the only one worth retaining.

Meanwhile, the offense is a total mess. Koetter got mobile O-linemen to help block for his screen heavy offense but runs a man blocking scheme which does not suit these O-linemen. He lost his two stud WRs and we've seen how uncreative his routes are and his response was to call even more screens, which is counter-intuitive when defenses are already stuffing the box because they don't respect your WRs. It appears that Koetter has tunnel vision on screens, which is something Jags fans warned of when he came here, and because of it the personnel don't necessarily fit the scheme and his solutions dig the offense even deeper. If we're going to keep Smitty then Koetter, and Hill, need to be fired and replaced.

Its too complicated to assign blame for the season on just one thing. And in general, even good players, coaches, and front offices will not perform great every year. There will be variance in their success. This is mandatory.

Think about it, when a great DE goes against a great LT, someone is going to come out on top. Does that mean that they aren't both great players? When two teams that have great GMs, players, and coaches play each other, one will lose. Does that mean they aren't a great team? This is just to point out that good players and coaches lose matchups and games sometimes.

You can choose to define this front office and coaching staff by our record this year, or you can choose to define them by their body of work.

TD has far surpassed the standard of good drafts in the NFL- 2 starters from each draft class. I think he over estimated our offensive line and so that ruined his year this time. Overall he is part of why we've been so good since he arrived. Even during this "bad" year, he brought in 2 great rookie CBs, and 2 promising UDFA LBs.

Smitty deserves more of the blame IMO than TD. He should have been screaming for better OL because he ought to know the talent already on the team better than anyone. Also, he has shown short comings in terms of game day strategy that span multiple seasons. In spite of this, overall it is hard to justify parting with a coach that has had the type of success Smitty has- both as HC and going back to his days as DC in Jacksonville. You pay for production and Smitty has a track record of producing success.

The players are the easiest of all to judge. You can focus on one on one match ups for each play and determine if they did well without muddying the picture by worrying about whether the play was a success or not. This year, the OL as a group has torpedoed our offense. No unit, including the DL or RBs, comes close to being so clearly outmatched. If we have to assign blame for the season, the OL is definitely the #1 offender.

IMO it was reasonable to expect Konz to do a respectable job at C based on what he showed in college and last year at RG. I don't blame the coaches or TD for overestimating him.

Holmes showed some flashes last season and I don't blame the FO or HC for thinking he would improve going into year two.

Reynolds never looked good, and Baker has been injury prone, so I do blame our FO and HC for resigning them.

All in all, I would say the OL and it's position coach, along with the strength and conditioning coaches are the ones who need to be carefully scrutinized for replacement. The body of work from everyone else, including our GM, HC, OC, and DC is strong enough that dumping them for one terrible, injury riddled season would be a mistake.

I still believe Dimi is the main problem. It's ultimately his responsibility to assemble the roster, regardless of who has input. Dude has made some decent acquisitions but overall sucked monkey balls putting this team together. He stepped on his weenie many times including:

-letting the wrong free agents walk

-acquiring some questionable free agents

-releasing the wrong players

-trading away too many draft picks

-drafting too many injury prone players

-overpaying too many players

-building a sorry front seven that can't stop the run or get to the QB

-putting together one of the worst Olines in team history

I still believe Dimi is the main problem. It's ultimately his responsibility to assemble the roster, regardless of who has input. Dude has made some decent acquisitions but overall sucked monkey balls putting this team together. He stepped on his weenie many times including:

-letting the wrong free agents walk

-acquiring some questionable free agents

-releasing the wrong players

-trading away too many draft picks

-drafting too many injury prone players

-overpaying too many players

-building a sorry front seven that can't stop the run or get to the QB

-putting together one of the worst Olines in team history

Like Clabo, right?

Like Clabo, right?

Hail yeah. Clabo started out slow but has played well in his last four games. He has returned to his old road grading run blocking ways and is pass blocking better than our OTs have in their last four games, despite trying to protect a QB that still holds the ball too long:

LAST FOUR GAMES

Blood - 268 snaps, 1 sack, 6 hits and 8 hurries

Surelock - 250 snaps, 4 sacks, 4 hits and 9 hurries

Clabo - 255 snaps, 2 sacks, 3 hits and 7 hurries

LMAO.

We can look at Mike Smith's body of work and if you back up he has simply been the best coach the Falcons have ever had no disrespect to Leeman Bennett. He is a great guy who knows the game and has his head in every game every down. I am sure he feels like sheet and wants more than anyone in Atlanta to turn this around not because he may or may not lose his job, but he loves football, this team and this city.

My question is, "Can you really fault Mike Smith and his staff completely for this colossal fall or is really more of function of the scheme and type of players drafted and the moves made around the draft"

I think its more of the second, small speed cut block players and ignoring the trenches for an explosive offense, ie selling tickets. I love having Julio but that move alone has hurt us but not sure we would have drafted DL or OL. Would I rather have a couple of players in the trenches versus Julio? Naw, I want Julio but ignoring the pass rush and flushing the OL were inexcusible moves.

I blame TD more than anyone, and he will walk scott free and get a pass on this disaster. He more than anyone has egg on his face and should be repremanded.

Just my thoughts---Happy Thanksgiving to all my TATF friends

I think its both. I blame Smith for some of the coaching decisions he has made ( going for it on 4th down more than once when not necessary). I also think that it is a coaches job to motivate his team to get up and play their hardest every game. I don't think the Falcons have played their hardest in every game this year.

But that being said I think a lot of the blame has to go on the players. They are the ones that are out there playing every sunday. They are the ones that have the most impact on the game. They are there because the coaches saw something in them that they liked so they obviously they have the skill.

Hail yeah. Clabo started out slow but has played well in his last four games. He has returned to his old road grading run blocking ways and is pass blocking better than our OTs have in their last four games, despite trying to protect a QB that still holds the ball too long:

LAST FOUR GAMES

LMAO.

Uhh...Those aren't impressive numbers either and if you factor in how he has played all season Clabo would have done no better than the guys we currently have in there.

Uhh...Those aren't impressive numbers either and if you factor in how he has played all season Clabo would have done no better than the guys we currently have in there.

Let's revisit this at the end of the year. I still believe cutting Clabo was premature. Abe too. Clabo has been run blocking in his last four games. Here are the total QB pressures allowed in the last four games:

LAST FOUR GAMES

Surelock - 250 snaps, 4 sacks, 4 hits and 9 hurries = 17 QB pressures allowed

Blood - 268 snaps, 1 sack, 6 hits and 8 hurries = 15 QB pressures allowed

Clabo - 255 snaps, 2 sacks, 3 hits and 7 hurries = 12 QB pressures allowed

Like Clabo, right?

Sure why not. I was thinking of him letting Dahl walk.

He resigned Baker the patty caker, and could have structured Long to a similar deal.

The dude is horrid when it comes to drafting and signing line players. It's not that he doesn't try, it's that he flat out stinks.

Letting Abe go was another issue. Abe and Osi would have been a nice combo. But yet he wanted to see what his players could do. Well, his players currently have him on track to screw up an even higher draft pick.

LAST FOUR GAMES

LMAO.

So he started off so badly he got benched and is only playing now because of injuries and the chaos the Dolphins O-line is going through but we should have kept him because he would have provided roughly the same production as our current OTs over the past few weeks for significantly more money. I'll give you one thing: You are persistent with your stupidity.

I think it's a mixture of the two. TD over drafted several players, and he put too much faith in these project guys that he drafted in the later rounds. On the other hand, the OL and DL coaches are doing a very poor job in terms of development. So on both ends, they need to improve their draft philosophy for the trenches, and we need to coach these guys up better.