I Have Some Questions For The Tankers

Sorry for flooding the board with threads today but I just need to wrap my mind around this tanking mentality. I realize there are about 39 different types of Falcon fans but I'm just trying to fully understand the tanker group. So if you are a tanker, please help me out and answer a few questions that come to mind:

1. If we tank and get a high pick, but spend it on another Busterson, would tanking have been worth it?

2. On our way to the bottom of the tank, would you mind seeing Cam do the A-Town stomp in the Dome, or Rogers take off his discount double check belt in Lambeau, or maybe watch Kap kiss his bicep and do the dirty bird on us?

3. If you were Arthur Blank on 11/26/13, would you tell your organization to roll over and tank for Clowney?

4. If HD is wide open in the end zone in Candlestick in OT of our week 17 game, in position to get a revenge win against SF, would you want him to catch the TD for a win that would drop us five draft slots, or drop the winning TD to secure the #1 slot?

5. If you could, would you forfeit our last five games to lock up the first pick now?

Honest answers please.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for flooding the board with threads today but I just need to wrap my mind around this tanking mentality. I realize there are about 39 different types of Falcon fans but I'm just trying to fully understand the tanker group. So if you are a tanker, please help me out and answer a few questions that come to mind:

1. If we tank and get a high pick, but spend it on another Busterson, would tanking have been worth it?

2. On our way to the bottom of the tank, would you mind seeing Cam do the A-Town stomp in the Dome, or Rogers take off his discount double check belt in Lambeau, or maybe watch Kap kiss his bicep and do the dirty bird on us?

3. If you were Arthur Blank on 11/26/13, would you tell your organization to roll over and tank for Clowney?

4. If HD is wide open in the end zone in Candlestick in OT of our week 17 game, in position to get a revenge win against SF, would you want him to catch the TD for a win that would drop us five draft slots, or drop the winning TD to secure the #1 slot?

5. If you could, would you forfeit our last five games to lock up the first pick now?

Honest answers please.

1. Irrelevant. Getting a high draft position gives us not just a higher first round pick, but a higher second round, third round, etc. This increases our odds of substantially improving our team. If one pick doesn't work out, we have better position on others.

2. No, I don't like watching the team lose.

3. No, wanting a high draft position is not the same as wanting the team to try to lose on purpose.

4. All things being equal, I'd rather he drop the ball, since winning that game will cause more harm to our 2014 chances than losing.

5. No, I don't want us to forfeit games.

The concept of tanking is just a way for people to believe the team is better than they show on the field.

The record doesn't lie .. I've seen every minute of Falcons football this year, and the record doesn't lie - Sadly.

I don't want the Falcons to loose to get a better draftpick, but they'll probably do so anyway.

Let's see some of the young players on the field and give them a fair chance to show their ability.

The record doesn't lie .. I've seen every minute of Falcons football this year, and the record doesn't lie - Sadly.

I don't want the Falcons to loose to get a better draftpick, but they'll probably do so anyway.

Let's see some of the young players on the field and give them a fair chance to show their ability.

I don't mind the concept of a highest pick under the new CBA or the idea of playing young talent. I do think however, that with playing 4/5 potential playoff contenders over the next 5 games, there is an obligation to play your best players.

I think you always have the obligation to put the best product possible on the field. That being said, we probably lose out, or possibly win one or two.

I think this is a great opportunity to see what our young players can do.

I'm not saying we should pull our productive veterans, but for the ones that are struggling this year, and we all know who they are, ( safety, o-line ) are we really tanking if we try a rookie at those spots for a few games? Who know, we may get some surprises.

I'm never for tanking regardless of draft position, but like others have said, we're headed there while still trying to win.

I don't mind the concept of a highest pick under the new CBA or the idea of playing young talent. I do think however, that with playing 4/5 potential playoff contenders over the next 5 games, there is an obligation to play your best players.

Off course we have to play our best players ... But I'm not sure that our current starters are able to win this season, and starting some of our younger players might even give us a better chance to win.

I would never want our team to lose regardless of the draft .. but the team seems to have lost every bit of confidence and something has to happen.

Edited by Falcon@Denmark

Traditionally, I've never been a "tanker" ---but folks, our season is OVER, for all intent and purposes!!! Therefore, why would ANYBODY want us to win another game, and knock ourselves out of better draft choices in EVERY round of the draft??? I mean, it just doesn't make any sense to me!!! It's not like another team has never done it, before!!!

Sure, the games have to be played, but look at 'em like "Pre" - Pre Season games, and go ahead and start evaluating the players we already have ---- that way, we know what we've got, and can put more time and energy into evaluating the players we might want in the Draft & Free Agency, next year.

Just the way I see it...

1. If we tank and get a high pick, but spend it on another Busterson, would tanking have been worth it? Say we take Clowney and he turns out to be another LT, Reggie White, or any other premier pass rusher, we would be looking back saying "We should have taken Clowney"

2. On our way to the bottom of the tank, would you mind seeing Cam do the A-Town stomp in the Dome, or Rogers take off his discount double check belt in Lambeau, or maybe watch Kap kiss his bicep and do the dirty bird on us? Why is this even a question? Those players are going do what they do when they score against us. They would do it if we were undefeated and blowing them out by 42.

3. If you were Arthur Blank on 11/26/13, would you tell your organization to roll over and tank for Clowney? I wouldn't. I would want to succeed at the very best, but if that's the way the cookie crumbles, then "go get a better cookie".

4. If HD is wide open in the end zone in Candlestick in OT of our week 17 game, in position to get a revenge win against SF, would you want him to catch the TD for a win that would drop us five draft slots, or drop the winning TD to secure the #1 slot?It's not revenge when we aren't going to even smell the playoffs.

5. If you could, would you forfeit our last five games to lock up the first pick now? Really? Did you seriously just pose that question? These are PAID professional athletes. They don't play, they don't get paid and not only would we look stupid, there would be a grievance against the entire franchise, setting us back an entire decade.

Honest answers please.

1. If we tank and get a high pick, but spend it on another Busterson, would tanking have been worth it? No

2. On our way to the bottom of the tank, would you mind seeing Cam do the A-Town stomp in the Dome, or Rogers take off his discount double check belt in Lambeau, or maybe watch Kap kiss his bicep and do the dirty bird on us? Of course not

3. If you were Arthur Blank on 11/26/13, would you tell your organization to roll over and tank for Clowney? No

Um, we play SF week 16 and Carolina at home week 17.

Absolutely not. It's a disservice to our franchise, the players, and the STH

Honest answers please.

We have played a shtload of young players this year. Warlow, Drop Low, Low Low, Surelock Holmes, Tru, Alford, BobbyMac, Antone, DiMarco, Ponga, Mass, Hawley, Darius, Good Man, Vaughan, Zeke, Reynolds Wrap, Drew, Double D, you name it.

I'm asking for posters who want lsee us drop losses to improve our draft position to answer these questions. The tankers. Not fans that want to see us win out.

Honest answers please.

1.Preemptive hindsight? new low even for you.

2. Yeah, those things suck- what you fail to admit is that they're going to happen anyway.

3. Would have said it a month earlier, right after Jones, and the Falcons chances for the postseason this year went down. Really wouldn't be surprised if he told them just that. Would explain some of the game planning and personnel decisions.

4. I'd rather have a shot at Pepper2.0 than win a meaningless game at the end of the year. Although if I was HD, be hard for me to drop that pass.

5. Do you think the record would be any different if they did?

Am I happy with the reality that this seasons most exciting outcome for the Falcons is a very high draft pick? He## NO. Do I accept it? Might as well. You want your team to lose 10-12 draft spots by winning 2-3 meaningless games, go buy your own.

Your turn:

What if they win 4 games and Clowney is the next R. White?

What's the difference between 2 wins and 4 wins?

Would you rather have another win or two or finally be able to draft high enough to get the game changer on the front 7?

Edited:

Forgot one: How can you tell if this team is tanking or just that bad?

Off course we have to play our best players ... But I'm not sure that our current starters are able to win this season, and starting some of our younger players might even give us a better chance to win.

I would never want our team to lose regardless of the draft .. but the team seems to have lost every bit of confidence and something has to happen.

That may be valid, but what do Detroit and Chicago say if they see us trotting out a lineup of greenhorns against the Pack?

Guest King Jigsaw

My very simple view on this subject: are we going to make the playoffs? Are we going to win a Super Bowl? No? Then why not improve your team as much as possible for a different outcome next year? We all want a falcons Super Bowl. That's why we're fans. Just because I don't want us to beat the bills, doesn't make me less of a fan than you. I recognize that losing to the bills actually helps this team improve for a chance at a Super Bowl next year - you don't.

Edited by King Jigsaw

Guest King Jigsaw

That may be valid, but what do Detroit and Chicago say if they see us trotting out a lineup of greenhorns against the Pack?

Why should we care what they say?