Investment Gurus, Get In Here.

Rambler

I have always been a conservative investor, never sticking my neck out too far, and spreading things out over many areas. That said, it`s hard to ignore some of the huge gains that have been made in the stock market in recent months. I got tired of hearing one of my co-workers brag about how he had 100% of his money in Large Cap funds and has made a 40% return on his money in just the last year. I looked it up and it was true. I had to take a couple of weeks off of work to convalesce and spent more time looking at my investments than I ever had and realized I have been a big dummy, so now I`m taking a more active role in keeping tabs on things. I am sure there are investment gurus on these boards and I am curious as to what are your investment strategies short short and long term.

I stay away from mutual funds for the most part. Secure the services of an investment counselor and invest in individual stocks.

A good bit of my investments are tied up in the equivalent of 401k`s, TSP`s and Annuities from my old Union. As you probably know, you are not allowed to invest in individual stocks. Of course I can do that on my own, I`m just not very savvy in that area. I still appreciate the feedback.

That's why you use an investment counselor. You can start with as little as three or four thousand dollars and build as you go.

I'd get what you could out of those annuities and take what ever cash you can drum up and go see an investment counselor.

The 1 annuity I have is not the kind of annuity you are thinking of. It came from my union benefits and I am not allowed to take it until I retire (as jacked up as that is). I`m mainly curious as to what others are doing in similar situations.

Year to date 34.2% using these weak mutual funds.... Currently invested in a growth fund and an extended market fund...

Oh so weak mutual funds...

Are you heavily invested in those?

The 1 annuity I have is not the kind of annuity you are thinking of. It came from my union benefits and I am not allowed to take it until I retire (as jacked up as that is). I`m mainly curious as to what others are doing in similar situations.

Are you heavily invested in those?

50% in each. Both are 100% stock funds. I was invested in a Target Retirement Fund but its returns sucked compared to the 2 funds I mentioned.

Rambler, I couldn't even begin to give you financial advice without knowing your risk tolerance, age, earning power, plan for the future in terms of retirement, understanding of financial products, etc.

I agree kicker... I am risk tolerant due to me being 30... rambler could be less (I think hes in his 40s)...

regardless, stay the course. Dont try the beat the market... you will fail more than likely

Rambler, I couldn't even begin to give you financial advice without knowing your risk tolerance, age, earning power, plan for the future in terms of retirement, understanding of financial products, etc.

I have 10 years until I plan to retire, usually hit close to 100,000 a year (with overtime), and my risk tolerance is moderate, I can play a little . I will have a retirement income at 62 and until then will probably go with a payroll investment of 10%, with 5% match.

I agree kicker... I am risk tolerant due to me being 30... rambler could be less (I think hes in his 40s)...

regardless, stay the course. Dont try the beat the market... you will fail more than likely

I know a lot of people that can't tolerate seeing a 25%+ drop in their investment. Regardless of what people think you should do with your money, you have to be able to sleep at night.

I have 10 years until I plan to retire, usually hit close to 100,000 a year (with overtime), and my risk tolerance is moderate, I can play a little . I will have a retirement income at 62 and until then will probably go with a payroll investment of 10%, with 5% match.

You should still go see an investment advisor.

I have always been a conservative investor, never sticking my neck out too far, and spreading things out over many areas. That said, it`s hard to ignore some of the huge gains that have been made in the stock market in recent months. I got tired of hearing one of my co-workers brag about how he had 100% of his money in Large Cap funds and has made a 40% return on his money in just the last year. I looked it up and it was true. I had to take a couple of weeks off of work to convalesce and spent more time looking at my investments than I ever had and realized I have been a big dummy, so now I`m taking a more active role in keeping tabs on things. I am sure there are investment gurus on these boards and I am curious as to what are your investment strategies short short and long term.

If you have spread things out over many areas, then you should have some exposures to large caps and the like. I avoid that mutual fund ****.

Warning: Equities are extremely overbought and haven't had even a 'normal' type of correction of any substance in over a year, thanks to QE. I would absolutely not move money around to add more exposure now.

If you have spread things out over many areas, then you should have some exposures to large caps and the like. I avoid that mutual fund ****.

Warning: Equities are extremely overbought and haven't had even a 'normal' type of correction of any substance in over a year, thanks to QE. I would absolutely not move money around to add more exposure now.

I would like to know why mutual funds are sh*t?

Trying to time the market is a foolish and ultimately unsuccessful strategy that has failed millions of people.

I would like to know why mutual funds are sh*t?

They are burdened with exorbitant 'management' fees. Even with management, many don't provide a greater return than others instruments. The fees erode their effective ROR, There are some tax disadvantages as well as numerous other issues I don't like. Those and a few others are a search away. e.g. Don't take my word for it.

They are burdened with exorbitant 'management' fees. Even with management, many don't provide a greater return than others instruments. The fees erode their effective ROR, There are some tax disadvantages as well as numerous other issues I don't like. Those and a few others are a search away.

Fees... Vanguard charges almost nothing for most of its funds.