Dimitroff: Changes Could Come From Inside

The Don™

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Peria Jerry and Sam Baker were drafted to meet desperate needs. Both have been hit by performance-marring injuries. I don't fault him for those picks. Thomas DeCoud and Chevis Jackson are crap; I'll give you those. Chris Owens was a third rounder (I think) and he has continued to start for other teams. Lamar Holmes has had a tough first season, but he has the goods and he will pan out at LT. The same can be said for Konz. Both of those young guys will be fine.

Finally, it is not too early to assess Trufant and Alford. They are both legit starting-quality CB's. Not many GM's have been able to draft starters at CB in one draft.

While TD has had some duds, he has also managed to add some promising players to this team. Johnson is a good looking WR. Bartu and Worrilow are good LB's. I wish that TD would have invested more in the lines. I, along with other posters, have debated this issue for years on these boards. My guess is that TD will pay close attention to the lines this off season.

Jerry and Baker both suck though. Just because he drafted to meet a need doesn't preclude him from criticism for who he picked. Clay Matthews and Duane Brown both could have met the need for a pass rusher and LT, and they were taken right after Jerry and Baker.

Owens was horrible while he was here, and you are supposed to at least get solid starters out of your 3rd round picks. Holmes is a guard playing tackle and Konz is about as strong as my grandmother. If either of them are starting next season there is a problem.

Congrats to him for signing a couple of decent UDFAs I guess, but if you are having to dig that deep for evidence that a GM knows what he is doing, it's not a good sign.

Dimitroff is a horrible drafter. There's no way to spin it. Very few of his late round picks have ever outperformed their draft slot, and most of his 1-3 round picks have been busts. That's not a good combination.

Because he has spoken about the weaknesses along the lines.

The personnel problems of this team are fixable. I feel the same frustration as the rest of you, but I also see things lining up for us very well.

Nah we can't feel the same frustration, the lines have been below average for years now and still has yet to be addressed. I'm tired of waiting, if I can see it there is no excuse for TD making millions to not see it.

Talk is cheap, his complete lack of solid line pieces over this half decade speaks volumes to me.

**** Thomas and everything he stands for, he isn't benefiting my team.

At this point it doesn't even matter what they say. Do something or shut up. All I can even think about throughout this whole o line conundrum is Arthur Blank two years ago talking about how the o line play was unacceptable. Well, look what that talk has brought. Look at the O line we have. Stop talking and start doing. It's time to start cleaning out the staff who is having problems with development/performance on the field. Don't talk, act or shut up.

I wonder if the steady PIRATED VIDEO IS ILLEGAL of people leaving the Falcons organization (front office) over the last few seasons is catching up. Maybe TD was relying on SMEs that are no longer part of the organization?

Maybe this team is a victim of its own success, at least organizationally.

On an unrelated side road...isn't it odd how much DK's offense looks like MM's offense when you take Julio out of the picture? If not for a few screens here and there, I'm not sure I could tell the difference anymore.

Agreed,

Hawley, konz, holmes, and baker are all high picks and are all busts. Whatever were doing on the OL is not working. We shouldve definately kept sviteck.

I don't consider 3rd and 4th rounders "high picks." Hawley is, by comparison, vastly outplaying his draft position. And Holmes and Konz have time to improve, though I concur that neither is really playing well right now.

Baker, absolutely, is a bust.

Jerry and Baker both suck though. Just because he drafted to meet a need doesn't preclude him from criticism for who he picked. Clay Matthews and Duane Brown both could have met the need for a pass rusher and LT, and they were taken right after Jerry and Baker.

Owens was horrible while he was here, and you are supposed to at least get solid starters out of your 3rd round picks. Holmes is a guard playing tackle and Konz is about as strong as my grandmother. If either of them are starting next season there is a problem.

Congrats to him for signing a couple of decent UDFAs I guess, but if you are having to dig that deep for evidence that a GM knows what he is doing, it's not a good sign.

Dimitroff is a horrible drafter. There's no way to spin it. Very few of his late round picks have ever outperformed their draft slot, and most of his 1-3 round picks have been busts. That's not a good combination.

Only 2.

Worrilow and *peters

Edited by osiruz

Let's be real, I don't care about these "winning seasons" this team has grossly overachieved, there is a reason pundits never believed this team was the real deal and frankly I've never believed this team to be a dominant team. Congrats this team has won games, essentially they've come in and done their jobs and then called it a day they rarely shown that they are the team that has something truly special about them. I have a hard time blaming any of the players for this conundrum. I wish I in confidence could say that Td and Smith could take a hard look in the mirror and truly change the culture of this organization but over the last 6 years all they have shown is hard headed-ness and neglect.

On an unrelated side road...isn't it odd how much DK's offense looks like MM's offense when you take Julio out of the picture? If not for a few screens here and there, I'm not sure I could tell the difference anymore.

That's because it is the almost the same playbook with some of Koetter's plays mixed in...Gonzo was quoted saying that during training camp last year....It seems like they didn't want to overwhelm the players with a whole new playbook.

Not a whole lot of creativity or confusion like the Saints have...That's something we need. But once again, I think Smith has his hand in the offensive style of playcalling. He's conservative by nature and those are the types of plays he tells DK to call...safe with low rates of risk. Obviously, the OL doesn't help but you can't use that SOLELY as an excuse.

Like every other GM in the league, TD has missed on draft choices. Do you think that TD has not handled the draft well?

I truly have not noticed glaring problems with his draft choices. He seems to make choices that are in step with our schemes. This past off season, he over estimated the quality of our lines, but he was able to draft two starter-quality CB's. That is a pretty rare trick to pull.

Every GM hits and misses, but we lose so much draft value in TD trades and TD panic drafting. TD falls in love with a few guys and sacrifices a lot to get them.

Someitmes you have to accept the fact that the guys you want are not going to be available when your number comes up. In that case, fallback options are needed instead of trading up or picking the guys a round early.

While we have heard this kind of talk before (and while he's swung and missed several times I think he's usually tried to address glaring issues outside of this offseason) we've never been THIS BAD before. They know there is no room for even a mediocre follow-up to this kind of year.

The sad truth is, I think losing a close NFC Championship game made Dimitroff a little arrogant in his approach and didn't really look as hard as he should have at some issues we needed to address. Not sure how he'll fix the trenches, etc. but I'd expect we'll see more change this offseason than we've seen any any of the previous ones.

I think the sad truth is we lost 7 or 8 integral pieces on both sides of the ball.....

It has nothing to do with arrogance or anything like that....its just flukey bad luck that we've been lucky enough to avoid for a really long time.

ROFL that was the biggest load of corporate mish mash say nothing full of buzz words speak I have heard since I retired from a corporation where specializing in saying a lot without revealing anything was the ticket to the top.

Nice job there TD, but all people want now are "results." not corporate buzz words.

Edited by FalconFanForLife

I think Hamilton and/or Hill need to be changed on the coaching staff. I don't know how fair that is since that haven't had top-tier talent to work with but sometimes changes have to be made.

I also think hiring someone who understands line talent would also be beneficial to both long-and-short term Falcons success.

There are, obviously, some scouting people that understand how to identify potentially high-performing players within the orginization. (eg., Bartu, Worrilow, DJ) However, is there anyone that can find the line talent currently on staff?

Finally, Yes, change could certainly come from the inside, right from the top - WHEN BLANK FIRES YOU!!!! Oh, BURRRRRNNNNNNNNN!!!!!

(See that, I just hurt the GM's feelings!! Haha, point and laugh everybody!!!)

Watch us trade our 1st 2nd and 3rd rounder to move up one spot this season. I hate tds method of drafting it is stupid.

I'm so sick of his trade up strategy. Losing all the picks we've lost over the years, is why are in this depth **** now. It has to stop. He needs to be patient and let the draft come to him. Better yet, trade back and get multiple picks every now and then.

I'm so sick of his trade up strategy. Losing all the picks we've lost over the years, is why are in this depth **** now. It has to stop. He needs to be patient and let the draft come to him. Better yet, trade back and get multiple picks every now and then.

The more picks you accumulate, the more you can afford to have some misses. And EVERYONE misses, so I'd rather make the safe play than the bold play. This team needs a huge infusion of solid talent. Especially if Clowney is gone, I'd love to see us trade back and get another pick this year and another 1st next year. Make this a 2-3 season run of accumulating as many picks as we possibly can and stacking this team with fresh talent.