I Think We Need To Ditch Koetter

Guest Negatorris

Guest Negatorris

Other than his implementation of the screen game, I have never been impressed with dirk Koetter. Last season our offense was high rated, but they did reach horrible cold points against even bad defenses. Our offense is straight up predictable. I'm honestly calling our next plays from behind a TV screen, and if I'm doing it an opposing DC is definitely doing it too. He uses his best weapons as decoys too much. It worked at the beginning of 2012, but since then it has gotten old. How many targets was Julio getting in the redzone before his injuiry? I know our OL is garbage, but does that not also fall on the person coordinating the entire offense? Koetter is also responsible for getting the best guys out there on the field so that his offense may execute. Me and I'm sure many others scratched their heads when he was hired after fielding a horrible offense in Jacksonville, but you know.. Mike Smith and his Jaguar buddies.

Anyways, I think our offense will never truly be elite or as effecient as it should be with Koetter behind the wheel. There is nothing special about him as an OC, and I really think it's time to move on from him and most of the offensive staff sans Terry Robiskie. I do have potential replacements for 2014 in mind.

Gary Kubiak, and Mike Shanahan are both on the hot seat, and could be let go after this season. I really don't see either of them getting an offer for head coaching positions right away, and they could fill the void left by Koetter nicely to try and prove themselves worthy of another shot as a HC. Until then, either one could serve as our OC. They actually used to work together, and I believe their variation of the WCO would fit perfectly with our offense.

They would instill a dangerous rushing attack with the current weapons we have in our backfield, and maybe future weapons(I really like De'Anthony Thomas). I think the players on our offense are currently more geared to run the WCO, especially in Shanahan or Kubiak's variations.

What do you all think about this?

Both Shanahan and Kubiak are very good offensive coordinators. But before we go chasing coordinators, let's at least acknowledge a single fact. We have recently had two very different OC's. I don't think that anyone would argue that Mularkey and Koetter come from the same school of thought. Yet, both coordinators have struggled managing our offense. Why? Well, most people have come to the conclusion that our OL is of poor quality. It is unable to create a passing pocket for our QB and it is also a very poor run blocking line.

So, do we need yet another coordinator, or do we need a better line? The answer is pretty obvious.

Both Shanahan and Kubiak are very good offensive coordinators. But before we go chasing coordinators, let's at least acknowledge a single fact. We have recently had two very different OC's. I don't think that anyone would argue that Mularkey and Koetter come from the same school of thought. Yet, both coordinators have struggled managing our offense. Why? Well, most people have come to the conclusion that our OL is of poor quality. It is unable to create a passing pocket for our QB and it is also a very poor run blocking line.

So, do we need yet another coordinator, or do we need a better line? The answer is pretty obvious.

Yes it is, Fire Mike Smith!

Kubiak would be cool, his system might make the most out of our line going back to the Gibbs style, zone blocking. I don't see Koetter getting let go, and Mike Shanahan has two rings as a coach, I don't see him taking an OC gig, his son on the other hand will, but he's a total *****, so I don't want anything to do with him.

I agree! It does not matter who the OC is, if the OL is garbage then no one will succeed.

I think the playbook is simply stripped down this year. Bad o line, too many missing pieces from injuries, etc.

The screens we run are actually more elaborate screens, we have had plays with julio in the back field, the snelling goal line shovel passes, etc. Koetter had some creativity in him, it's just our personal right now.

That being said, dude seems to do very little in developing a running game. But, I blame smith for that. He wanted explosive plays, at the cost of the running game it seems.

I think the playbook is simply stripped down this year. Bad o line, too many missing pieces from injuries, etc.

The screens we run are actually more elaborate screens, we have had plays with julio in the back field, the snelling goal line shovel passes, etc. Koetter had some creativity in him, it's just our personal right now.

That being said, dude seems to do very little in developing a running game. But, I blame smith for that. He wanted explosive plays, at the cost of the running game it seems.

I would say that's a pretty astute observation.

What ever happened to the 4 vert ? Seems a bit like Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster. He has been better than Mularkey, but his play calling a bit predictable IMO. It would kind of suck for them to have to learn a new offense though when we got so many other things that need to be worked on.

We don't have the OL to protect our QB. How can you execute a 4 vert, if you have to release the ball in less than three seconds?

My biggest disappointment in Kutty is his run game. I just knew when he came here he would create some balance in our attack. That mofo went pass happier than June Junes. He even chucks and ducks more than June. Unbelievable. And the run blocking scheme is just flat out sorry. He could use some lessons from Mularkey on decent run blocking schemes.

My biggest disappointment in Kutty is his run game. I just knew when he came here he would create some balance in our attack. That mofo went pass happier than June Junes. He even chucks and ducks more than June. Unbelievable. And the run blocking scheme is just flat out sorry. He could use some lessons from Mularkey on decent run blocking schemes.

Where is Alex Gibbs at now ? Ah, the good old days.

This is the SMARTEST post in this thread.

It is all too easy to go on a Witch Hunt this year.

My observations over the past few years are this.

Our line has not been able to controll the tempo of the game

through all 4 quarters of play, and even with Dahl on the team

he had fire but proved to be the weak link in the chain of those O Lines.

However it be said, we simply never replaced Dahl with a better player.

So this infact has led to a compound problem with the team.

Fish was let go due to the line being weak, when in fact we simply needed

better players, and the same holds true for the D Line.

The end result is that we have not upgraded to the lines.

(referance Mike Singletary and the 49ers)

Also alarming is that our Strength and Conditioning Coaches are absolutely

horrific, and neither have any business coaching in the NCAA, much less

in the NFL.

Regardless of Blocking Schemes and or Smitty Ball or from Tom Brady to Manning,

it all boils down to 3 things, Quality of players, Conditioning and lastly Player Age.

This all said means one thing and one thing only.

The ability of the Line to execute the scheme, and in my far from humble opinion,

is what seperates good offenses from bad.

You can say that Smitty ball is too predictable, but if you bring in quality

players who can impose their will for 4 quartes of play, the team will in fact

dominate.

Thus conclude's the Jackazz Report.

Other than his implementation of the screen game, I have never been impressed with dirk Koetter. Last season our offense was high rated, but they did reach horrible cold points against even bad defenses. Our offense is straight up predictable. I'm honestly calling our next plays from behind a TV screen, and if I'm doing it an opposing DC is definitely doing it too. He uses his best weapons as decoys too much. It worked at the beginning of 2012, but since then it has gotten old. How many targets was Julio getting in the redzone before his injuiry? I know our OL is garbage, but does that not also fall on the person coordinating the entire offense? Koetter is also responsible for getting the best guys out there on the field so that his offense may execute. Me and I'm sure many others scratched their heads when he was hired after fielding a horrible offense in Jacksonville, but you know.. Mike Smith and his Jaguar buddies.

Anyways, I think our offense will never truly be elite or as effecient as it should be with Koetter behind the wheel. There is nothing special about him as an OC, and I really think it's time to move on from him and most of the offensive staff sans Terry Robiskie. I do have potential replacements for 2014 in mind.

Gary Kubiak, and Mike Shanahan are both on the hot seat, and could be let go after this season. I really don't see either of them getting an offer for head coaching positions right away, and they could fill the void left by Koetter nicely to try and prove themselves worthy of another shot as a HC. Until then, either one could serve as our OC. They actually used to work together, and I believe their variation of the WCO would fit perfectly with our offense.

They would instill a dangerous rushing attack with the current weapons we have in our backfield, and maybe future weapons(I really like De'Anthony Thomas). I think the players on our offense are currently more geared to run the WCO, especially in Shanahan or Kubiak's variations.

What do you all think about this?

Shanahan is more likely to retire than take a coordinator job, Kyle Shanahan maybe but Kubiak and the Shanahans are ZBS people.. Just say no to the ZBS