Clowney Vs Dion Jordan

benxiong

First, this isn't a bash or praise thread for either player. I'm ignorant on the subject matter of Clowney, so I'm trying to determine what's the difference between last year's #1 DE and, possibly, this year's #1 DE. Understanding the difference between the two player may enlighten me more on the subject.

Guest King Jigsaw

Just google it. Read scouting reports. Watch film. It's not that hard to do your own research and will make you better for it rather than just being spoonfed other people's words.

Guest Negatorris

Just google it. Read scouting reports. Watch film. It's not that hard to do your own research and will make you better for it rather than just being spoonfed other people's words.

This.

It's much faster than creating a topic that multiple people have already made too, rather than just doing your own analysis.

Guest Negatorris

Wouldn't it be faster to ask people who have already done the research instead of taking the time to do the research himself?

/lawyered

Everyone has their own views and opinions. It's safer to garner your own than to trust another persons take.

Because I'm feeling helpful

Jordan: As a pass rusher, all speed. No moves, not great at using his hands to disengage, no bull rush. As a run defender, really average at best. What set him apart was his coverage ability imo, he was covering slot WRs and TEs in the PAC 10. Miami overdrafted him for the purposes they're trying to use him for, it's foolish. His potential as a pass rusher is there, but he's always been a project a a pass rusher.

Clowney: Great burst, great speed, great power, great hand usage, able to disengage from not just one, but multiple blocks on a consistent, play to play basis. Easily this draft class's best run defending defensive lineman. Forces teams to gameplan around his presence. Any time somebody drops back and takes more than 3 seconds, Clowney gets there. A majority of the time if a team tries to run at him, he stops it for a loss.

Clowney (and Khalil Mack) are two of the "slipperiest" guys on the field I have ever watched. Which means they find ways to work through small spaces in ways that seem impossible, and do so at break neck speed without seemingly be slowed at all... either one would be an amazing addition to our Defense!!

First, this isn't a bash or praise thread for either player. I'm ignorant on the subject matter of Clowney, so I'm trying to determine what's the difference between last year's #1 DE and, possibly, this year's #1 DE. Understanding the difference between the two player may enlighten me more on the subject.

In all honesty, last year around mid September, I said Dion Jordan would be a good pick for the Falcons in the 22-28 range of the 2013 NFL draft. He was never worth the #3 overall pick. He had 5 sacks in 2012 after 7.5 in 2011. In my book, the production was not there to be a top 10 pick. He is also very thin, the guy has the most narrow shoulders I've seen on a DE. I just don't know if he is ever going to be able to get to 255-260.

Clowney, 8 sacks as a Freshman, 13 as a Soph. I know this year has been very disappointing. Yes, I think he has been playing to not get hurt. He has had the issues staying healthy. There is no doubt in my mind that Clowney is one of the top 10 athletes/players I've seen at the DE position over the last 15 years. I wish the guy did work like he was the 53 man on the roster, fighting, scratching and clawing to make it. I know people questioned Julius Peppers work ethic a few years back. Almost 4 full seasons in Chicago and 34.5 sacks and counting. I'll take him. Just like Randy Moss. He could have been the best all time if he really worked hard and gave 100% all the time. Still one of the best to every play the position and the most feared WR when he was on his game.

So my big question is, if we draft Clowney, does that eliminate any chance of us switching to a 3-4? I haven't really seen him as a stand up rusher. I believe we would still stay in a hybrid mix but would we still stay mainly a 4-3?

no. because the Falcons aren't going to run a 3-4 in the first place under Nolan. he's a multiple defense guy. he'd stand Clowney up like he stood up Abraham.

no. because the Falcons aren't going to run a 3-4 in the first place under Nolan. he's a multiple defense guy. he'd stand Clowney up like he stood up Abraham.

He's been showing more of a LEO 4-3 than a multiple defense. Due to that if we draft Clowney my expectation is that he'd be the 5-tech DE and not the LEO DE/OLB since Clowney's strengths are not his speed rush or his dip and rip, though his is better than most of the edge rushers in this draft class, but rather his strength and his swim move so he can shoot the B gap. That is why he is usually getting blocked by both the OT and OG with the RB as the fallback and not by some combination of the OT, TE, and RB. He's good enough against the run and setting the edge to make this possible. Likewise, since the 1-tech NT is on the same side as the 5-tech DE. that would mean the G between the NT and Clowney would have serious problems. You cannot help the C and OT at the same time. This would mean the OC would have the scheme protection to that side of the line to give help to whoever can't get help with the double block which, in turn, means near constant one-on-one matchups for the 3-tech DT and LEO DE/OLB, who are primarily pass rushers which means they'd be playing into our hands.

There were big question marks about Dion Jordans actual pass rush ability coming out of the draft. Definitely has some crazy intangibles and potential to be a beast pass rusher but he definitely did not have the production.

Clowney has not only had the great production, but has had that production against SEC competition. No question about the debate that Clowney is 10x better prospect for our 4-3 defense. He is the best interior rushing DE I have ever seen in college.

Edited by Clark Kent™

That's sort of what I hoped for.

Stuff like, is Clowney faster or quicker than Jordan and stuff like that.

Put it this way if Clowney came out last year he would have been drafted before Jordan, Clowney is more of a finished product and as along as he is healthy and motivated should have a long

distinguished NFL career. Jordan is **** good but has some growing to do in respect to the NFL,though it looks like he will get there too.

I'd love to have either one on the Falcons DL