First To Worst

Shredman

How can Mike Smith be Safe ??????

Falcons become first team eliminated from playoff contention

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on November 26, 2013, 12:11 AM EST

william-moore.jpg?w=250 Getty Images

The Atlanta Falcons were 10 yards shy of making the Super Bowl last season. They won’t be going this year either.

With the San Francisco 49ers victory over the Washington Redskins on Monday night, the Falcons have become the first team to be officially eliminated from playoff contention.

The Falcons were no longer contenders to chase down the New Orleans Saints or Carolina Panthers for the NFC South division title, so their only hope was to make it as a wild card. The best record Atlanta can finish with is 7-9. The Panthers already have eight wins and San Francisco and the Arizona Cardinals are each 7-4. Since the 49ers and Cardinals play each other again in Week 17, one of them is guaranteed to get to eight wins, therefore eliminating the Falcons from contention. (Technically, the 49ers and Cardinals could also tie and finish at 7-8-1, which is still better than Atlanta can manage)

It’s just a reminder of how much change in a year in the NFL.

Atlanta can now set its sights on possibly earning the No.1 overall pick in next year’s draft.

I don't think anyone gets more pleasure out of this than me but, realistically, I don't see this season as an indication of what to expect from the falcons next year or years following. I hope...geez do I hope....but I doubt it. They'll be right back in the mix next season.

I don't think anyone gets more pleasure out of this than me but, realistically, I don't see this season as an indication of what to expect from the falcons next year or years following. I hope...geez do I hope....but I doubt it. They'll be right back in the mix next season.

well with a high rd pick, an open wallet owner under the cap, and a last place schedule....

they better be in the Mix

It would be nice but Im with you on that. They'll be right back in it next season.

IF they can fix the OLine to be half decent, they can cover for a porous defense.

Its why i think Matthews is a bigger prospect for them than Clowney

well with a high rd pick, an open wallet owner under the cap, and a last place schedule....

Just don't start telling us in May or June, just how stacked the Falcons are, and how unbeatable they are....You know, like you did THIS past summer.wink.png

58 wins?

It's all about, What have ya done for me lately? Lately he hasn't done squat! I see him getting the boot right after the season with Dimitroff getting a pass so he can try and trade up to the #1 spot and pick another weapon for Ryan, who evidently can never have enough!

The last place schedule, under the cap, high draft pick or trade down for more picks, and yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. Falcons will snap right back. Consider this more of a fluke season then the norm. This season was a perfect storm (of disaster) where everything aligned itself for the Falcons to fail and they did.

Let me guess...you and Shred are gonna have 'em in the Super Bowl again.rolleyes.gif

It's all about, What have ya done for me lately? Lately he hasn't done squat! I see him getting the boot right after the season with Dimitroff getting a pass so he can try and trade up to the #1 spot and pick another weapon for Ryan, who evidently can never have enough!

I think with his past success he's earned a mulligan

I think with his past success he's earned a mulligan

Personally, I believe he should. I make fun all the time, but I believe he's very good coach. But I'm starting to have my doubts about whether he can be a Championship coach, and I'm pretty sure that's what Artie is looking for.

Personally, I believe he should. I make fun all the time, but I believe he's very good coach. But I'm starting to have my doubts about whether he can be a Championship coach, and I'm pretty sure that's what Artie is looking for.

I wouldnt trust him in a big game. I also believe they should keep him for now. He's earned the benefit of the doubt.

Now if they suck next year, see ya later buddy! lol

I wouldnt trust him in a big game. I also believe they should keep him for now. He's earned the benefit of the doubt.

Now if they suck next year, see ya later buddy! lol

That would be a helluva long coaching tenure, for a guy that could only win one playoff game in 7 seasons!

Smitty is definitely a good coach but when he has faced the top coaches in the league he usually comes up short. Reasons? During crucial moments in the game Smitty has the uncanny ability to make the wrong call at the wrong time. WFW thinks his biggest fault is not stepping on the throat of the opposing team when we are up big. He gets to conservative and goes away from the game that got the Falcons the big lead!

That's a fault you can find amongst many coaches in the league. Two who DON'T do that are Belicheck & Payton, which is a large reason for their success, and having Tom Brady and Drew Brees makes it a lot easier.

How can Mike Smith be Safe ??????

When no one at all was willing to come here in 07. A HC left the team mid season, the face of the franchise in prison. So no name coach named Mike Smith came in and all he has sone is win games. He and TD turned the entire franchise around in a few months.

5 winning season is 4 more winning seasons in a row than the falcons have ever accomplished. Never having back to back winning seasons. The reestablished us as a quality franchise and made the world forget Vick for the most part.

He has broke pretty much all the records held by the tem. Only coming up a little short on Reeves sb appearance.

Fact is we might not be the storied franchise in the NFL thats a dynasty. But Smith has done more than any other coach has ever done with this franchise.

1 bad season? Loaded with injuries to a lot of your key starters. How would he not be safe? You cant control injuries. He is working with what he has to work with. Our preseason team is not as good as our reg season team. Plain and simple. We have had our preseason team playing.

He is SAFE!!!!!!!!!

What exactly is a "last place schedule"? Each division plays the same teams from 1 AFC conference and 1 NFC conference. They also play their rivals twice. So, that comes out to 14 of your sheduled 16 games. So, your "last place schedule" will consist of only 2 of your 16 games next year.

This is why I dont understand why people make such a big deal about that sort of thing.

What exactly is a "last place schedule"? Each division plays the same teams from 1 AFC conference and 1 NFC conference. They also play their rivals twice. So, that comes out to 14 of your sheduled 16 games. So, your "last place schedule" will consist of only 2 of your 16 games next year.

This is why I dont understand why people make such a big deal about that sort of thing.

It helps if your two games are Jacksonville and Oakland compared to Denver and Indy.

thats a nice comfortable two games you should win ya know.

Just think if dallas had atlanta instead of N.O.

Its not a huge deal but every game counts and when you get 2 easier games, it makes a difference

It helps if your two games are Jacksonville and Oakland compared to Denver and Indy.

thats a nice comfortable two games you should win ya know.

Just think if dallas had atlanta instead of N.O.

Its not a huge deal but every game counts and when you get 2 easier games, it makes a difference

So, does that mean youd be happy with 2-14? I mean, since the bulk of the schedule would be even with the rest of your division....2 "easy games" doesnt change the other 14.