One Advantage Of A Playoff-Less Season

roddyyoudaman

Mike Smith stated in his press conference Monday that we are not fully in "evaluation mode" yet, but it's obviously the next step.

I know this team will continue to play hard, and scrap for wins to finish off with some pride. However, we now have the advantage of putting unproven talent on our roster to the test.

There hasn't been a single season since 2008 that we've been able to give playing time to guys like Antone Smith (on offense), or Ryan Schraeder, or Stansly Maponga etc.

That's the kind of thing you're able to do in pre-season, never the regular season (assuming you're relevant). When the season is over, and they evaluate our entire roster, there's going to be a pleasant amount of film on our young guys. That is monumental in terms of speeding up the development process of a player, which let's be honest hasn't been a strong point of ours.

I know losing is a terrible terrible feeling, and I know I'm not the first to say this, but this season may truly end up being a blessing in disguise.

The biggest advantage of missing the playoffs, is the mental rest the team and coaches get. There will be no offseason with the mental baggage of having lost in the postseason again. I think this could be good for the team. With a mental break from playoff disasters for the first time in years, I think, rather than anxious and draining, the offseason could be more refreshing and rebuilding than it has been in years, which could lead to the Falcons bouncing back quicker than we thought.

Edited by AREA51

The biggest advantage of missing the playoffs, is the mental rest the team and coaches get. There will be no offseason with the mental baggage of having lost in the postseason again. I think this could be good for the team. With a mental break from playoff disasters for the first time in years, I think, rather than anxious and draining, the offseason could be more refreshing and rebuilding than it has been in years, which could lead to the Falcons bouncing back quicker than we thought.

Excellent point, that's one thing that we've never really been able to do. Since 2008, the expectations during each off-season were extremely high.

Yeah, I cant fault the logic.

±Smitty needs a full month of trout fishing, this season has beat him down to a bloody pulp.

Ryan would do well to spend some time athome and

some time in SoCal playing golf with his good friend Tony G.

Po Ol Worrilow,,,this kid is going to need some recovery time too.

Lamar Holmes, aint nothing wrong with this kid that cant be fixed

by him staying 6 weeks at Gritz's house.

DeCoud?

Yep, lets just send him to see Supes.

That's actually an excellent point... and I must say one I've not read anywhere else, which is a pretty rare thing to say given the sheer volume of NFL media out there.

I disagree.

I think the pressure is on more than ever... on Smith anyway.

If we have a losing season next year EVERYONE is going to be fired. The motto for next season is win or else.

Blank is spending a billion dollars on a new stadium and he knows he's not going to fill it with a losing team.

Smith's job is on the line next season and he knows it now.

Excellent point, that's one thing that we've never really been able to do. Since 2008, the expectations during each off-season were extremely high.

I guess winning the Super Bowl is out of the question? Thats what I expect from the team I follow! Stop the excuses, its win it all or bust, this year is a big bust!

I guess winning the Super Bowl is out of the question? Thats what I expect from the team I follow! Stop the excuses, its win it all or bust, this year is a big bust!

There's obviously no denying this season is a huge bust in terms of a Super Bowl, but I have faith in this regime to capitalize on the off-season situation we've put ourselves in. This team was just 13-3, the near future is very bright.