Dimitroff Likes Offensive, Defensive Line Draft Prospects For 2014

birdz4i

FLOWERY BRANCH – Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff believes the 2014 NFL draft in strong in the team’s obvious need areas of offensive and defensive line.

The Falcons, at 2-9, are in contention for the top overall pick and appear destined for at least a top 10 pick.

Dimitroff, spoke with the team’s announcers Dave Archer and Wes Durham on 790 TheZone on Monday.

“Now moving forward on to (2014), there are some really hot positions out there right, interestingly enough, along both fronts, again, which is rare to have two seasons in a row that there a number of defensive linemen out there as well as a number of offensive linemen that are going to be difference makers,” Dimitroff said. “So, that’s a positive.”

The Falcons attempt to revamp the offensive line, as they tried to get bigger and more athletic, has been a failure.

Quarterback Matt Ryan has been under extreme duress all season and the rushing attack has been meek.

Defensively, the Falcons have not been able to stop the run or mount much of a pass rush. They give up 130 yards rushing per game, which ranks 28th and only have 22 sacks, which ranks 27thin the league.

“I believe again given the fact that there are going to be players out there that are going to be impact players, again, it’s going to be up to us and our scouting staff and our coaching staff to discern which are going to be the best fits for us and how many we in fact do take,” Dimitroff said.

http://www.ajc.com/w...line-draft-pro/

“Now moving forward on to (2014), there are some really hot positions out there right, interestingly enough, along both fronts, again, which is rare to have two seasons in a row that there a number of defensive linemen out there as well as a number of offensive linemen that are going to be difference makers,” Dimitroff said. “So, that’s a positive.”

Notice the deep OL talent pool in 2013 draft

Draft 0 offensive linemen in 2013

????

Profit

Thomas Dimitroff ladies and gentlemen.

I am so freak

Notice the deep OL talent pool in 2013 draft

Draft 0 offensive linemen in 2013

????

Profit

Thomas Dimitroff ladies and gentlemen.

I am so freaking tired of this kind of stuff on the message board. This team has had unprecedented success since Smith and TD got here. We have ONE bad season and everybody is so willing to throw them under the bus and blow up this team to start over. Most teams in the NFL would kill for our players. It took us over 40 years to get here. Bad seasons happen. We're gonna rebound next year and use the offseason to get towards our overall goal. But until then, either support the team you all claim to love, or go sign up for another team's message board and jump on their bandwagon, because lord knows we don't need any more fair weather fans.

I am so freaking tired of this kind of stuff on the message board. This team has had unprecedented success since Smith and TD got here. We have ONE bad season and everybody is so willing to throw them under the bus and blow up this team to start over.

It's not JUST that, I don't think. This has been a bad 2nd half team since he got here, but Ryan has saved our bacon in the 4th so many times that most people either didn't notice or care. Last year's playoff games where we blew huge leads and went into our shell and let the other teams back in the game tells you that Smitty's cowardice is not going to work in the playoffs in today's NFL. This isn't 1996, the game is more open now and the rules favor the offense, you can't just sit back on your heels with that bend but dont break crap anymore.

I think Smitty did an admirable job righting the ship, but to me it's plain as day he hit his ceiling as a coach with his 1 playoff win. My issue isn't him having one bad year, it's that he will never take the training wheels off of this roster. He brought in two new coordinators that were supposedly more aggressive, what changed? To me, that is very telling.

Edited by Desert_Falcon

I am so freak

I am so freaking tired of this kind of stuff on the message board. This team has had unprecedented success since Smith and TD got here. We have ONE bad season and everybody is so willing to throw them under the bus and blow up this team to start over. Most teams in the NFL would kill for our players. It took us over 40 years to get here. Bad seasons happen. We're gonna rebound next year and use the offseason to get towards our overall goal. But until then, either support the team you all claim to love, or go sign up for another team's message board and jump on their bandwagon, because lord knows we don't need any more fair weather fans.

I agree, mike smith needs to be fired ASAP. Oh, don't tell others how to be a fan. Worry about yourself. If you are the one who doesn't like what you're reading, you should probably be the one on another teams board.

FLOWERY BRANCH – Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff believes the 2014 NFL draft in strong in the team’s obvious need areas of offensive and defensive line.

The Falcons, at 2-9, are in contention for the top overall pick and appear destined for at least a top 10 pick.

Dimitroff, spoke with the team’s announcers Dave Archer and Wes Durham on 790 TheZone on Monday.

The Falcons attempt to revamp the offensive line, as they tried to get bigger and more athletic, has been a failure.

Quarterback Matt Ryan has been under extreme duress all season and the rushing attack has been meek.

Defensively, the Falcons have not been able to stop the run or mount much of a pass rush. They give up 130 yards rushing per game, which ranks 28th and only have 22 sacks, which ranks 27thin the league.

“I believe again given the fact that there are going to be players out there that are going to be impact players, again, it’s going to be up to us and our scouting staff and our coaching staff to discern which are going to be the best fits for us and how many we in fact do take,” Dimitroff said.

Oh great!!!

I swear if we trade down and leve TD in charge to draft a slew of overrated linemen I'll barf. I'd rather take a number 1 pick than 7 5th round busts as usual.

Oh great!!!

I swear if we trade down and leve TD in charge to draft a slew of overrated linemen I'll barf. I'd rather take a number 1 pick than 7 5th round busts as usual.

But that's not the other option. The Rams will have two high 1 st round picks, and need a QB. If we are able to swing a trade with them, we'd be able to get one of the top left OTs and a top NT. FIXING those two positions alone would go a long long way to getting us back on track, and both are tough positions to fill via FA.

But that's not the other option. The Rams will have two high 1 st round picks, and need a QB. If we are able to swing a trade with them, we'd be able to get one of the top left OTs and a top NT. FIXING those two positions alone would go a long long way to getting us back on track, and both are tough positions to fill via FA.

Yeah... if we could somehow swing two firsts and a second or third, I'm all for it. You'd have to be stupid to at least not consider that, even with Clowney available. Plugging several holes in the first two rounds would slingshot us into an enviable position.

Freaking idiot for drafting back to back CB. That was not necessary.

We needed two CBs. One to start immediately and one to start a season later and maybe win the position battle against the veteran who would be gone after this season. To say drafting two CBs in the 1st and 2nd round was a waste is to ignore everything from the previous offseason and to ***** for the sake of bitching. Likewise, looking over this year's CB class makes the move in the last draft look smart. There are no Trufant or Alford caliber CBs in this class.

Yeah... if we could somehow swing two firsts and a second or third, I'm all for it. You'd have to be stupid to at least not consider that, even with Clowney available. Plugging several holes in the first two rounds would slingshot us into an enviable position.

I know this isn't a likely scenario... but say we get the #1 or #2 pick. Trade back with the Rams for the #5 (Skins) & #17. Use the #5 to get the Browns' 8 & 25 (Colts). That would give us three first round picks...and probably some more to even out the deals. With two teams that are desperate for QBs, that seems like reasonable trade value, and we could plug OT, NT and get either a pass rusher or OG all in the first round.

I'd get a little misty if that sort of deal went down.

Rugger, no way we use a 1st round pick on a LT seeing as how we signed Baker to a big extension & we like how Holmes is progressing. We need serious help at RG. That's the largest glaring weakness to me. I think Clowney #1, then Jackson #2, and then they can do whatever the frick they want to do after that.

I understand the contract with Baker, but I can't imagine that they will keep their horses tied to Baker, when they guy just can't stay healthy. There is no sense at all in trying to rely on the guy. I say take a LT first if you trade back, play him at RT if you must, until Baker gets injured again, or if he beats Baker in a healthy competition, and move Baker to RT. Baker or no Baker, we can do a lot better at LT, and we're not developing a good LT, and we're not going to get one out of FA.

I agree with you about the 2nd round- it should be R-OG. I think Richardson could be there, and should be the pick if he is, but if not, I'd be ok with Jackson (or going OG back to back if Jackson slides to us in the 3rd).

I don't hate Clowney, but I think there's a lot more we could do to improve the team by accumulating day 1 (and day two) picks.

Just like Jones- when he's on the field, I'm glad he's a Falcon, but I didn't and don't approve of the pick. Same with Clowney.

We needed two CBs. One to start immediately and one to start a season later and maybe win the position battle against the veteran who would be gone after this season. To say drafting two CBs in the 1st and 2nd round was a waste is to ignore everything from the previous offseason and to ***** for the sake of bitching. Likewise, looking over this year's CB class makes the move in the last draft look smart. There are no Trufant or Alford caliber CBs in this class.

No we didn't. Alford has only played 42% of the snaps and that is hugely benefitted from Asante missing 1-2 games and being in and out of the lineup. If Samuel is healthy then Alford probably plays 20% of snaps if even that much.

Several other areas we could have went in the 2nd round who could have made ALOT more impact.

Freaking idiot for drafting back to back CB. That was not necessary.

Either way, we're set at CB for a few years to come. Two talented players under rookie contracts for a while. If we can get the lines in order, particularly on D, we'll be able to force turnovers with minimal effort. We also won't have to worry much about putting our guys on an island, as both seem to be able to handle it fairly well.

Either way, we're set at CB for a few years to come. Two talented players under rookie contracts for a while. If we can get the lines in order, particularly on D, we'll be able to force turnovers with minimal effort. We also won't have to worry much about putting our guys on an island, as both seem to be able to handle it fairly well.

Agreed. Whats done is done now. And we are set at the position for the next 5-10 years. But you have to factor in this season and what a crap show it has been. Not saying that a different 2nd round pick would have made us a SB team, but i have to believe we would still at least be closer to playoff contention. And if Asante does not retire or is not cut by next year then it will make the Alford pick even more questionable. So i am hoping Asante does retire.

I know this isn't a likely scenario... but say we get the #1 or #2 pick. Trade back with the Rams for the #5 (Skins) & #17. Use the #5 to get the Browns' 8 & 25 (Colts). That would give us three first round picks...and probably some more to even out the deals. With two teams that are desperate for QBs, that seems like reasonable trade value, and we could plug OT, NT and get either a pass rusher or OG all in the first round.

I'd get a little misty if that sort of deal went down.

Ummmmm.......you do understand the Rams have Sam Bradford under contract in 2014, right? I think the Rams could go either way on Bradford but it is far from a slam dunk that Rams would draft a QB this year.

I am so freak

I believe Dimitroff's praises have been sung on this messageboard - Smith's as well.

However you cannot ride on your laurels forever. The problems with the 2014 version of the Atlanta Falcons did not just begin in 2014. It is not just the injuries to Roddy/Julio.....

The truth is, the offensive line and defensive lines have been drafted poorly for 6 years - 6 years!!!! There has not been a significant contributor to the current or past Falcons teams since 2008 when Dimitroff got here.

I think that is rather significant and worthy of criticism.

I give TD his due. Like most of you, I thought the proper move in 2008 was Glenn Dorsey instead of Matt Ryan - clearly I was wrong about that - as were most of you. I also was not crazy about the Julio trade at the time - now I like it (although many of you still do not). Dimitroff signed Michael Turner - another great move. Many give Dimitroff credit for Tony Gonzalez trade - I like Gonzo but thought the 2nd round pick was steep...

Dimitroff deserves praise

.....but he also deserves criticism.

I believe Dimitroff's praises have been sung on this messageboard - Smith's as well.

However you cannot ride on your laurels forever. The problems with the 2014 version of the Atlanta Falcons did not just begin in 2014. It is not just the injuries to Roddy/Julio.....

The truth is, the offensive line and defensive lines have been drafted poorly for 6 years - 6 years!!!! There has not been a significant contributor to the current or past Falcons teams since 2008 when Dimitroff got here.

I think that is rather significant and worthy of criticism.

I give TD his due. Like most of you, I thought the proper move in 2008 was Glenn Dorsey instead of Matt Ryan - clearly I was wrong about that - as were most of you. I also was not crazy about the Julio trade at the time - now I like it (although many of you still do not). Dimitroff signed Michael Turner - another great move. Many give Dimitroff credit for Tony Gonzalez trade - I like Gonzo but thought the 2nd round pick was steep...

Dimitroff deserves praise

.....but he also deserves criticism.

That's a pretty fair assesment, something that is often lacking on these boards. I respect that.