The Pledge Of Allegiance

Google Bot

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kids in school are allowed to refuse to say the pledge if they don't follow the Christian faith

Don't you think that singles them out though? Being a kid is hard enough, being different from most of the other kids makes it more difficult. How many do you think still do it even if they don't believe in order to not draw attention to themselves?

Don't you think that singles them out though? Being a kid is hard enough, being different from most of the other kids makes it more difficult. How many do you think still do it even if they don't believe in order to not draw attention to themselves?

I actually think all of them do. Unless they're completely open about and make some sort of big scene every time the pledge comes on, I doubt many people will be willing to admit atheism and be singled out for it. Especially in a school environment.

Of course, but there isn't much you can do about it. There's no way the Pledge itself will be changed and I'm sure the hardasses on capitol hill won't pass the notion of it being taken out of schools.

I don't see why it can't be changed or taken out of schools. It doesn't actually teach children anything. School is supposed to be about learning.

I honestly don't give a crap either way. The people acting as though the pledge is the only thing standing between their kid and Satan is just as ridiculous as the jokers peeing their pants at the idea of their little atheist uttering the name God.

Would you feel the same way if it was reversed? Would you be peeing your pants if your little christian had to utter that there was no god?

I honestly don't give a crap either way. The people acting as though the pledge is the only thing standing between their kid and Satan is just as ridiculous as the jokers peeing their pants at the idea of their little atheist uttering the name God.

It's easy to say you don't care when it follows your belief system.

I'm a liberal and find absolutely nothing wrong with the pledge of allegiance. It brings a sense of national American unity at a young age. For myself it always had less to do with god and religion and everything to do with tradition and love of country

I wasn't ignoring your post. I asked for opinions in the thread. You gave yours.

I wasn't ignoring your post. I asked for opinions in the thread. You gave yours.

Fair enough. Even though i lean left i do think its incredibly important for youth to appreciate the importance of a patriotic oath. God may be invoked but the most important message is and always gas been country. Its an important message.

Fair enough. Even though i lean left i do think its incredibly important for youth to appreciate the importance of a patriotic oath. God may be invoked but the most important message is and always gas been country. Its an important message.

If the important message is about country, couldn't the under god part just be removed?

If the important message is about country, couldn't the under god part just be removed?

You really are just nit picking. Tradition has its place. I'm not the most religious man but find the traditons of the pledge in regards to love of country trump the religious aspects of it. Even as a child i realized this.

You really are just nit picking. Tradition has its place. I'm not the most religious man but find the traditons of the pledge in regards to love of country trump the religious aspects of it. Even as a child i realized this.

That isn't part of the tradition of the pledge though. You might find this interesting.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/The_Pledges_Creator.html?device=android

Why do you keep trying to change the argument? I said "under god" was part of your belief system.

and public schools adhere to so many things that directly contradict what I believe and want my children to be taught that I chose not to send them to one. If this is a deal killer for you, find a school that you can live with.