Wat Disturbs Me Most About This Year

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe a couple of good FA pickups, good draft, and staying relatively healthy next season and we're right back in the hunt for a SB. Maybe I'm right and maybe I'm wrong but it's just as possible as this crap folks are spewing that we're in rebuild mode.

I am a rebuild mode poster, and here is why. Football is very basic, what determines games is what goes on in the trenches. Our Falcons have some Pro Bowl caliber players in our secondary, at WR and QB, maybe Jackson if he can get some blocking.

But we have zero Pro Bowl caliber guys on our lines. In fact I am convinced that some of our linemen should not even be in the NFL. This lack of talent is going to have to be corrected before we can do a thing in the playoffs. And one draft is not enough to bring in that much talent. Maybe enough to get to the playoffs, but not enough to get to a Super Bowl.

The thing that every one is missing is that smitty is a defensive minded coach.........yes a defensive coach! Our defenses have just been horribly embarrassing since he has been here. and he is the one getting the pass. he brought in another defensive coach and it just got worse......that is a real problem, if we just had a good defense our offense could rely on them. but the o has to do it itself and smitty is not held accountable for anything

We could possibly go 10-6 w/o the injuries. Problem is we would still see the same problems in the p/o...blown leads, lines getting overwhelmed

in the 2nd half, and Ryan feeling pressure. I'm not sure we would get the plays needed when they really counted in the p/o...this regime would

still probably finish the season having only 1 p/o win. If we finished with a winning record, we probably just get band-aid fixes like the past w/o

the real problems getting exposed and overhauled.

One of the more realistic posts I have seen here in awhile.

I do want to give TD and Smitty a chance to get this team back on track. We finally have what might be a long term winning combo there. Lets hope TD can get Smitty some players for our lines so we can do some damage in the playoffs.

hey lets not forget td put the team together that took us to the postseason all these years, smitty coached us out of them

Are you saying we should hope AB brings Rich McKay back as our head of personnel? Because he had as much to do with putting this team together as anyone, as least for the first four seasons and part of the fifth.

Right now this team is very close to being all-Dimitroff. Blaylock Roddy and Babs are the only three real contributors leftover from McKay.

Edited by egoprime II

...is that Dimitroff thought he had assembled the exact blend of talent this squad needed to be a serious Super Bowl contender.

...and it looks like there's a decent chance we'll end up 2-14.

I know about the injuries, but even with the number of and relative seriousness nature of same, that doesn't excuse this team nosediving like it has.

It shows me that there is a serious disconnect between who and what Dimitroff thinks we have on this roster and who they actually are.

Exhibit A would be the contracts he has given or extended to players he drafted.

IMO he deserves one offseason to fix this. If he can't he can pack up his mountain bike and hair gel and hit the road.

As of today. What are the significant injuries other than Julio?

Weatherspoon missed a significant amount of time, Biermann has been out virtually all year, starting fullback Ewing went down early, Steven Jackson missed a lot of time....

Are you even familiar with this team?

Not to mention our starting LT has been out/hurt/useless all year due to injury.

Our projected starting RG has been out all year.

Asante is hurt what seems to be daily.

Roddy was useless from injury practically this whole season so far.

Football is very basic, what determines games is what goes on in the trenches. Our Falcons have some Pro Bowl caliber players in our secondary, at WR and QB, maybe Jackson if he can get some blocking.

But we have zero Pro Bowl caliber guys on our lines. In fact I am convinced that some of our linemen should not even be in the NFL. This lack of talent is going to have to be corrected before we can do a thing in the playoffs.

I've finally come around to this point of view after watching other games this season and watching the line play.

• Watching athletic linemen pull and block downfield on sweeps and screens.
  • Watching guards zone block and keep two guys at bay.
  • Seeing how a pocket is supposed to be shaped.
  • Watching D-lines just give up after being blocked effectively for five seconds.
  • Watching Tom Brady and Drew Brees knit sweaters and send tweets about how long they have to throw before throwing fifty yard bombs to unknown receivers.

Assuming we get an impact player early in the first, do you trust TD to not blowup the the rest of his 2014 picks and the 2015 draft with another crazy trade up. I don't

I don't trust him either with the line selections. Nor do I have faith in Smith in picking linemen. They both agree on player selection, so the horrible players on our lines are due to their decisions. However, I also hate blowing up regimes when they are successful, so I am glad they get one more chance to get it right. I don't really care about the rest of the roster: the lines are all this team needs to win, and it's their biggest failing. If they can't significantly upgrade both lines next year then we will know for sure they will never win a Lombardi here.

Just my 2 cents.