Anybody Ever Have Tendonitis/tendonosis?

NJDirtyBird7

So about 2 weeks ago, I was by cousins house and we all decided to arm wrestle. Like an idiot, I decided to go against my cousin who outweighs me by at least 50 lbs. I held my own as we were at a deadlock for a while, but I ended up losing. When I went to the gym 2 days later to work out my chest (on a Monday), my elbow, forearm, and bicep hurt like ****. I figured it was just sore so I worked through it. The next (Tuesday) day, same pain in the same area, worked throughout. Wednesday was legs day, then Thursday was shoulders. The pain was so bad that I had to stop.

I decided to go to the doctor and get it looked at. He told me that I have tendonitis in my elbow, also called tennis elbow. He said it could take about 4-8 weeks to heal and could linger up to a year..... Anybody else have this injury? How long did it take to heal? I really don't want to be inactive at the gym for that long.

Edited by NJDirtyBird7

I have it in my left elbow. It started in August. I will let you know when it finally heals.

How old are you if you don't mind me asking? Everything I read said that age will play a part in the healing process.

Have you re-injured it at all?

Have you been resting it?

Is it less painful now than it was when you initially injured it?

Edited by NJDirtyBird7

How old are you if you don't mind me asking? Everything I read said that age will play a part in the healing process.

Have you re-injured it at all?

Have you been resting it?

Is it less painful now than it was when you initially injured it?

I'm 39, and will be 40 in a little over a month,

It has never really gotten better. Some days are better than others though. One thing I tend to do with injuries like this is take a styrofoam cup, fill it with water, and freeze it. Then you can peel around the top edge of the cup, and rub it on the area. It helps because of the ice, and also massages it.

I have had a massage therapist work on it twice, doing active release therapy, and that helps for a period of time. Mine hurts all the time, except when I am lifting.

Im actually dealing with it now, I turned 30 in Feb. Went on a rucksack march with too much weight 2 fast now I have it in my ankle. It has been there for about 3 months now and its not going away. No clue whats going to happen but I get steroid injections, physical therapy and sorta get to rest it still doing HIIT training. Doc said it can take months to heal I'm talking 5-6 months.

I'm 39, and will be 40 in a little over a month,

It has never really gotten better. Some days are better than others though. One thing I tend to do with injuries like this is take a styrofoam cup, fill it with water, and freeze it. Then you can peel around the top edge of the cup, and rub it on the area. It helps because of the ice, and also massages it.

I have had a massage therapist work on it twice, doing active release therapy, and that helps for a period of time. Mine hurts all the time, except when I am lifting.

I did the ice massage when I first injured it. It is quick and effective.

Seems like your pain is the opposite of mine. Mine hurts when lifting, not when idle. I'm 23, so I'm hoping I can heal quicker...

Wear an ACE bandage. I had this when I was in middle school / high school playing baseball. I had to make the switch from shortstop to second base, which also helped. But mainly the ACE bandage.

I've had it before and it can be treated a couple of ways: 1) an injection or 2) wear an ACE bandage slightly below the elbow. I opted for #2 even though it took longer to heal. It took about 4-6 weeks to heal.

By Ace Bandage do you mean the sleeve? If not, what method of wrapping and where exactly should I wrap the ace bandage?

Im actually dealing with it now, I turned 30 in Feb. Went on a rucksack march with too much weight 2 fast now I have it in my ankle. It has been there for about 3 months now and its not going away. No clue whats going to happen but I get steroid injections, physical therapy and sorta get to rest it still doing HIIT training. Doc said it can take months to heal I'm talking 5-6 months.

I could only imagine having it in my lower body, It would never go away. I'm going to physical therapy right now, seems to help... i think lol.

I did the ice massage when I first injured it. It is quick and effective.

Seems like your pain is the opposite of mine. Mine hurts when lifting, not when idle. I'm 23, so I'm hoping I can heal quicker...

Mine is a little different. There are different areas that can have issues, and it will hurt in different ways. I have had what you have. They make special arm bands specifically for tennis elbow. They helped to where I was able to work out without pain. Do you train your forearms at all? Forearms curls can help keep it from coming back once it is healed.

Mine is a little different. There are different areas that can have issues, and it will hurt in different ways. I have had what you have. They make special arm bands specifically for tennis elbow. They helped to where I was able to work out without pain. Do you train your forearms at all? Forearms curls can help keep it from coming back once it is healed.

I got the tennis elbow brace, doesn't seem to do anything other than irritate the area where the pain is. I used to train my forearms quite a bit, recently before the injury I did not. I will definitely be training them once this is healed.

Yesterday I attempted just some simple bicep curls standing with my palms facing up as my physical therapists suggested. I used a 5lb dumbbell and noticed minor pain as well as clicking in my elbow. I stopped immediately. My elbow never made this clicking noise before the injury.

I used the elastic sleeve type bandage right below the elbow joint as the doctor suggested. Also, other posters mentioned lots of rest and ice (I used a package of frozen food)

Could you post a link to the sleeve u r suggesting.

Currently I have both this http://www.bauerfeindusa.com/en/products/supports-orthoses/elbow/epipoint.html

and this

http://www.mcdavidusa.com/Product/489R/MCDAVID_Level_2_Elbow_Strap_w_pads.aspx

I got the tennis elbow brace, doesn't seem to do anything other than irritate the area where the pain is. I used to train my forearms quite a bit, recently before the injury I did not. I will definitely be training them once this is healed.

Yesterday I attempted just some simple bicep curls standing with my palms facing up as my physical therapists suggested. I used a 5lb dumbbell and noticed minor pain as well as clicking in my elbow. I stopped immediately. My elbow never made this clicking noise before the injury.

Could you post a link to the sleeve u r suggesting.

Currently I have both this http://www.bauerfein...w/epipoint.html

and this

http://www.mcdavidus...rap_w_pads.aspx

Did they x-ray your elbow?

No, they didn't...should they have? My doctor took a real quick look at it and diagnosed it as tennis elbow.

It would rule stuff out, like bone spurs that may be irritating the tendons

See if you can find someone that does Active Release Therapy

Edited by shc