Aaron Murray(Uga Qb) Tore His Acl Last Night - How Far Does This Drop Him In The Draft?

g-dawg

I thought coming into 2013 NFL season that Aaron Murray was probably a 4th round pick due to his smaller stature and completion percentage.

I was a doubter coming into the year as he always seemed to come up small in big games. Murray really showed me a lot of improvement, poise and guts this year and his pro prospects look better as well.

Prior to rippin' his ACL last night, I thought Murray was probably an early 3rd round pick.

I will tell you what, if he drops into 4th/5th round, ACL injury and all, I would be interested in Aaron Murray as a Falcons back-up QB.

tumblr_medh3dyNCB1rkwp2lo1_400.jpg

I was thinking the EXACT same thing last night after the game. I heard a great explanation of what the GMs think Murray can be,"He won't be a Brees, Manning, or Brady but he could be the best back-up QB in the NFL. I mean just think if a top QB was to go down Murray would be your best option to come in and make the most out of the opportunity." Perfect assessment...he's intelligent and has shown he will do whatever he can to try and win and CAN be a leader. I'd take him behind Ryan in a heartbeat.

Two years before he regains 100% mobility (unless he is another AP). A team with a mobile QB and an adequate back up should pick him up late in the draft. With proper attention to detail and training, he could be as good as Brees. Or, he could fade into the mist. In other words, he would be a gamble. Look for the Saints to draft him in the seventh round.

BTW, I am a Jacket, but I recognize talent and respect his character. I hope he succeeds.

Edited by etherdome

I was thinking the EXACT same thing last night after the game. I heard a great explanation of what the GMs think Murray can be,"He won't be a Brees, Manning, or Brady but he could be the best back-up QB in the NFL. I mean just think if a top QB was to go down Murray would be your best option to come in and make the most out of the opportunity." Perfect assessment...he's intelligent and has shown he will do whatever he can to try and win and CAN be a leader. I'd take him behind Ryan in a heartbeat.

Murray is very tough and gritty and that is why I think he can make up for his size deficiency - similiar to Drew Brees. Of course I am not comparing Murray's potential to Brees(don't see Murray as accurate) - but the toughness and work ethic is similiar.

Murray is a film and gym rat and he would compliment Matt Ryan well - if Matt went down in a game, Aaron would be ready and he would not be afraid of the spotlight.

Two years before he regains 100% mobility (unless he is another AP). A team with a mobile QB and an adequate back up should pick him up late in the draft. With proper attention to detail and training, he could be as good as Brees. Or, he could fade into the mist. In other words, he would be a gamble. Look for the Saints to draft him in the seventh round.

BTW, I am a Jacket, but I recognize talent and respect his character. I hope he succeeds.

disagree on the two year thing. An ACL is much more devastating for a RB or a WR that have to stop/start/cut on every play. Look at RGIII - he started after 8 months - is he 100%? maybe not 100% but he is starting. Murray could be stashed for a year if need be.

disagree on the two year thing. An ACL is much more devastating for a RB or a WR that have to stop/start/cut on every play. Look at RGIII - he started after 8 months - is he 100%? maybe not 100% but he is starting. Murray could be stashed for a year if need be.

RGIII is clearly not the player he was last year. He will be himself next season. Murray is not the athlete that RGIII is but he still relies heavily on his athleticism. I still see him as a Brees type of QB. AS you mentioned, he will have to improve his accuracy. Perhaps the injury will force him to concentrate on his mechanics.

Time will tell.

Don't need Murray to be 100% - he'll be the backup and Ryan's been very durable.

I'd be fine with taking Murray in the fifth. The only drawback would be all the UGA fans (and I'm a UGA guy - class of '03) screaming for him to start the way they did Shockley.

Murray is likely back-up on NFL level but think he would be a backup that could come in and still lead a team to victory - over 1/2 the backups in NFL are not talented enough to do that.

you are right about the UGA homer trolls but - they don't run the franchise so I think that should not even be a consideration.

lol@as good as Brees