The Jimmy Graham Situation

razrtalon

Will nola franchise tag graham? Right away this seems like the most obvious outcome but graham could possibly make a case for WR tag with his numbers which stretches the price from around 6m to 10m and with 2014 saints cap issues...a couple other big name fa for the saints to consider, and the possibility of other teams driving up his price could he hit the open market? Jimmy Graham means way to much to the saints offense to let him go but they might not have a choice in 2014.

Lo.. injured al the time, and not nearly as athletic

What's the point? Gronk is the better overall TE when he's healthy. He's not as "elite" of a receiving TE as Jimmy Graham - let's call him 80% of the receiver Graham is - but he's so much better as a blocker that, to me, it's not even close. If I had to choose between a tall, fast TE who is a mismatch, or a tall, jump ball TE who can block like a goddamned offensive tackle, I'm taking the latter every time. Graham is nothing more than a big, tall slot receiver. Rob Gronkowski is a tight end.

What's the point? Gronk is the better overall TE when he's healthy. He's not as "elite" of a receiving TE as Jimmy Graham - let's call him 80% of the receiver Graham is - but he's so much better as a blocker that, to me, it's not even close. If I had to choose between a tall, fast TE who is a mismatch, or a tall, jump ball TE who can block like a goddamned offensive tackle, I'm taking the latter every time. Graham is nothing more than a big, tall slot receiver. Rob Gronkowski is a tight end.

Graham is actually improved tremendously as a blocker. Now he's not as good as Gronk, but he'd be a massive upgrade from Gonzo and is a slightly below average blocker. However, it's not because he's not a willing blocker. He's just still figuring out the technical side of blocking.

Graham is actually improved tremendously as a blocker. Now he's not as good as Gronk, but he'd be a massive upgrade from Gonzo and is a slightly below average blocker. However, it's not because he's not a willing blocker. He's just still figuring out the technical side of blocking.

I don't know where you're coming up with the "Graham is improved as a blocker" thing. I don't watch every Saints game, but I catch most of the ones that get nationally televised and Graham isn't in the same galaxy as Gronk as a blocker. To say he's "not as good as Gronk" is the understatement of the century.

I want the TE who can catch AND block. Give me Dwayne Allen over Coby Fleener any day of the week. If I want somebody who's a mismatch for a linebacker, I'll happily just take a slot WR. I want the guy who can split out into the slot, then, if the defense tries to match him up with a defensive back, come back inline and blow a linebacker 5 yards off the ball.

I don't know where you're coming up with the "Graham is improved as a blocker" thing. I don't watch every Saints game, but I catch most of the ones that get nationally televised and Graham isn't in the same galaxy as Gronk as a blocker. To say he's "not as good as Gronk" is the understatement of the century.

I want the TE who can catch AND block. Give me Dwayne Allen over Coby Fleener any day of the week. If I want somebody who's a mismatch for a linebacker, I'll happily just take a slot WR. I want the guy who can split out into the slot, then, if the defense tries to match him up with a defensive back, come back inline and blow a linebacker 5 yards off the ball.

Something we have missed since the peele and hartsock days

There is NO CHANCE that Graham gets away from Saints - absolutely NONE. All the Saints have to do is franchise the guy - the TE franchise number is not that big.....even though Saints are up against the cap - it would be easy to move money around to get there. Besides Brees, Graham is the #2 player on the entire team - letting him go would be like Falcons letting Julio go - its not going to happen.

Dreaming of Graham being a Falcon is pure fantasy.

I think he (graham) just fits really well in that saints offensive scheme. Maybe they give other guys the axe to keep him but I think our fo should seriously show him the money not only to possibly steal him but mostly to drive his price tag way up so division (n.o.) has to pay him crazy cash. Just good business. I would love him as a replacement for gonzalez even with a crazy price tag if we had the money having that kind of a receiver and mismatch on the field is a luxury.

Edited by razrtalon

I think he (graham) just fits really well in that saints offensive scheme. Maybe they give othee guys the axe to keep him but I think our fo should sweiously show him the money not only to possibly steal h but mostly to drive his price tag way up so division has to pay him crazy cash. Just good business.

Graham will never get to free agency - Saints will negotiate to the wire with him and if he is not signed - they will franchise him.

that's correct.. But look at tony? he hasn't done much blocking lately..

There is NO CHANCE that Graham gets away from Saints - absolutely NONE. All the Saints have to do is franchise the guy - the TE franchise number is not that big.....even though Saints are up against the cap - it would be easy to move money around to get there. Besides Brees, Graham is the #2 player on the entire team - letting him go would be like Falcons letting Julio go - its not going to happen.

Dreaming of Graham being a Falcon is pure fantasy.

You're crazy if you think they'll suceed at putting the TE franchise tag on him. They'll have to use the one for WRs.

Lets put it this way. Graham is about as indispensable to the Saints as Drew Brees. They aren't letting him go. They'd cut, restructure, whatever they have to do to keep Graham.

All things considered(Health wise mainly) Graham is the best TE in the NFL. He will get PAID by the Saints.

Lets put it this way. Graham is about as indispensable to the Saints as Drew Brees. They aren't letting him go. They'd cut, restructure, whatever they have to do to keep Graham.

All things considered(Health wise mainly) Graham is the best TE in the NFL. He will get PAID by the Saints.

I agree graham will undoubtedly be franchise tagged and it will be the wr tag (10m) if he can get that because to many teams are willing to pay him. The problem becomes the saints are in a pickle with their cap 2014. They always push money back but somethings got to give. Their other f.a.'s. I believe are de la puente and vilma. I think they will get the chopping block because graham is irreplaceable.

• 3 months later...