Atlanta Falcons: Big Plays That Made Or Broke The Game

AREA 51

Atlanta Falcons: Big plays that made or broke the game

November 23, 2013 by Je\'Vonda Wright

Saints-Falcons-Football_4306680_ver1.0_640_4801-450x224.jpeg

The loss against the Saints was as always a nail bitter and left Falcons fans feeling like they were kicked in the stomach, but a few big plays got fans riled up and asking why, because they were game changing plays. I’ll break them down here.

The face slap on Matt Ryan: Early in the game, Matt Ryan was slapped in the face by DE Akiem Hicks. The NFL has shown us that they have some “fine” officials. There was no way in the world that the referees didn’t see that. Anyways, that was a fifteen yard penalty that would’ve sustained our drive, but the Saints got away with it. Mind you, just last week Drew Brees didn’t get hit in the head, but he was being sacked like a normal quarterback and LB Ahmad Brooks of the San Francisco 49ers gets hit with a $15,750 fine from the commissioner but when someone power slaps someone in their face they get nothing…okay Goddell.

Willy Mo injures Trufant: Another play that could’ve been the grounds for a big play in favor of the Falcons was the potential interception for Desmond Trufant in the end zone. Trufant is probably the only starter to be proud of in the Falcons’ secondary and he’s a rookie. In that play he caught the ball for the interception but before he could come down with it, here comes S William Moore “coming in like a wrecking ball,” and knocks the ball out of Trufant’s hands and knocks him completely off of his feet to the point where he couldn’t get up and Trufant had to leave the game for a point in time. But most importantly, if this didn’t happen, the Saints wouldn’t have scored a touchdown.

Matt Ryan slides instead of running to the end zone for a TD: I can argue for both sides on this one. I understand that it was third down and if Matt had ran in the end zone instead of sliding it would’ve had a touchdown. Also, if he had ran in the end zone there were two players ready to “come in like a wrecking ball,” and do you think if they hit him in a way that was uncalled for would the refs have called it…NO! So as I said, I’m still feeling indifferent about this play.

Darius Johnson fumble: I couldn’t believe my eyes. It felt like a sick joke because it came all of a sudden and it was just bad luck for the Falcons (or Voodoo) or a just a fair play by the Saints defense.

The missed field goal: I was upset that our offensive line pushed us back to that point on the game winning drive and forced us to be in that tough situation and have to get in the end zone. I feel indifferent about this too. Mike Smith was looking at it as kick this field goal, defensive stop, kick another field goal. But that didn’t happen so the game was forever doomed making Mike Smith look like an idiot, but really what were the chances of making that 4th and long? The chances were better that Bryant kicked the field goal and as luck would have it, he missed it.

An honorable mention, Thomas DeCoud got bashed by fans…again. He responded to fans on social media and tried to defend and had the help of ex-Falcon Brent Grimes’ wife to curse fans who were commenting about his play too. But I look at it this way, no he’s not the only player that’s messing up a few things here and there but keep talking fans, let him have it. He played better than last week after all this went down (he knocked a ball away and is tackling more efficiently).

This team played hard, but they didn't ever play well enough to win this game. Far too often this team has played well, but just good enough to put up a good showing, then lose. I blame some of it on injuries and young players this year, but that's been pretty much the deal with this team in big games and in the play-offs and it's getting old.

The face slap on Matt Ryan: Early in the game, Matt Ryan was slapped in the face by DE Akiem Hicks. The NFL has shown us that they have some “fine” officials. There was no way in the world that the referees didn’t see that. Anyways, that was a fifteen yard penalty that would’ve sustained our drive, but the Saints got away with it. Mind you, just last week Drew Brees didn’t get hit in the head, but he was being sacked like a normal quarterback and LB Ahmad Brooks of the San Francisco 49ers gets hit with a $15,750 fine from the commissioner but when someone power slaps someone in their face they get nothing…okay Goddell. Man just fk this chit, the NFL is a freaking joke ..........angry.png