Does Lamar Holmes Keep A Starting Spot Next Year At Rt?

THE ICEMAN

I think taking a OL is not an opinion if we get a top 5 pick we really need a Guard and center more so than a Tackle and nobody takes centers or guards that high either.

Homles has played well at times but it just seems like he gasses or just doesn't have the endurance To play more than a half(a fixable problem) as far at talent and tools he has everything you'd want size length good movement and foot work (one thing he doesn't do well consistently is bend and Anchor but that's expected Out of a young guy) I'd feel much better about him starting next year than Konz Who hasn't shown anything he might as well been a orange cone marker the guys just run around.

I think if we could sign Alex Mack and a veteran RG(don't really know who's going to be available) I could live with Holmes at RT plus that would give the OL 4 guys with legit starting time in the league were as this year really only one guy in Blalock who you could actually see as a starter going forward with quality time staring in the league.

I just think if TD takes a defensive guy in Clowney,Barr or Nix or maybe even Mack I'd take any of them over Mathews as he's overrated I think he could be a solid starter but not worth a top 10 pick when you could likely sign a guy in FA who'd be better next year Let's not forget how bad these rookie tackles have been this year like Holmes they have had there ups and downs.

If that top 5 pick is Clowney or Barr I take my chances with Homles he at least has had his ups and downs were as Konz has been all bad.

And do you really waste a top ten top five pick on a RT in my opinion he would have to play LT if taken that high and Clowney destroyed the kid from Michagan and like I said if you actually keep up with the draft stuff Mathews talent wise wasn't even close to any of these guys drafted last year and was labled a RT and that's why he returned to school.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say keep Holmes if he continues to improve the last half of the season. I must say he has gotten better with time and with the move to LT. I would rather us land a RT and RG in free-agency and spend the draft picks on defense. I'm going to watch Hawley, Blaylock and Holmes closely the next few games because I think they might be serviceable if we can drastically improve the right side through free agency.

Hawley is playing well at center. So well that he didn't allow so much as a pressure vs. the Saints. The problem right now is RG and RT. I'd have a hard time turning down anyone named Matthews in the draft. Let Baker/Holmes compete at RT and grab Matthews OR let Baker/Holmes compete at LT and start Matthews at RT, either way that position is solved. Take your guard in free agency for a veteran presence.

He's a fat, unmotivated slob that is the best option we have this year at Tackle. The only thing more pathetic than his lack of effort is the fact he's apparently our only option this year. Even Smitty isn't desperate enough to have Schraeder and Trueblood bookends.

His only hope is hiring R. Lee Ermey as strength and conditioning coach this winter.

"I will motivate you Private Pyle."

I'm trying to be a Holmes supporter but he aint helping much. He started out awful, got better for a few games and now started sucking again. He gave up four sacks, four hits and nine hurries in his last four games. That's turrible. I would go into the offseason trying to fix the dam problem. Not guess at it again like Dimi did this year. To me the only positions that are safe on the Oline are Blalock's and maybe Hawley's. And I wouldn't gamble on fixing it with rookie draft picks. Get some fkn proven vets in here that can play the game.

Man there's a lot of hate for Holmes. Yes he started off slow but has gotten better throughout the season especially at LT. What do people expect? Both of our Receivers has been hurt and the backups don't garner double teams. Making it easier to scheme against our offense. Yes we have Gonzalez but he doesn't have the speed to beat you up the seam. Teams can play more players close to the line of scrimmage knowing nobody is going to beat them deep.

Going back to Holmes, he is not making the money Baker is making so to me it doesn't get me upset that he misses a play or two. He will continue to learn at a cheap rate and get better. Whereas Baker will continue to suck, stay injured, and cost the Falcons a pretty penny.

Holmes offseason plan needs to be lose some weight, get stronger, and film study (of himself and the great LTs in the league)

Man there's a lot of hate for Holmes. Yes he started off slow but has gotten better throughout the season especially at LT. What do people expect? Both of our Receivers has been hurt and the backups don't garner double teams. Making it easier to scheme against our offense. Yes we have Gonzalez but he doesn't have the speed to beat you up the seam. Teams can play more players close to the line of scrimmage knowing nobody is going to beat them deep.

Going back to Holmes, he is not making the money Baker is making so to me it doesn't get me upset that he misses a play or two. He will continue to learn at a cheap rate and get better. Whereas Baker will continue to suck, stay injured, and cost the Falcons a pretty penny.

Holmes offseason plan needs to be lose some weight, get stronger, and film study (of himself and the great LTs in the league)

I started paying attention to him Thursday night after kog said he was playing good. Maybe I jinx him but he looked horrible the times I actually locked in on him

I started paying attention to him Thursday night after kog said he was playing good. Maybe I jinx him but he looked horrible the times I actually locked in on him

Yeah but that goes back to my point. He played decent in the last few games Julio played in and also the TB game because team couldn't crowd the los (NE, NYJ) and in the TB game they were expecting Baker to play off the bye and didn't know what we were going to throw at them. As you can see from the Arizona game to now, no receiver can blow by their man making you have to double anybody. Defensive coordinators knew this and now everybody doing the same thing blitz, or line stunts. This will only help Holmes in his growth.

I actually see potential with Holmes. At LT not RT. People here tend to forget he is basically a rookie. He has all the tools to play LT in the NFL, as others have stated it looks more like an issue of conditioning and experience than lack of skill. A killer off season for program for him combined with this full year of playing experience and we may have a nice surprise from him next year.

I like HOlmes as our Long term solution at LT, which will make Baker expendable when the cost to cut him makes sense. Holmes has improved and shows promise. When we upgrade the other spots and the line can gel I think HOlmes will prove to be a good pick in the 3rd for a LT.

I'd prefer Holmes at LT than Baker. actually Konz needs to spend off-season working on a farm with a nutritionist & the best weight trainer he could afford. he's too big and smart to play like such a girly man at times. he can go from looking like an All-Pro to looking like crap in a matter of downs. but yeah I'd keep Holmes