Wth? Sign Roddy To A Long-Term Extension? Now? Ian Rapoport At Nfl.com

g-dawg

this does not make sense to me.....other than salary cap - bizarre - we have Roddy for the perfect amount of time on his contract - one more year - that is probably the useful life of him right now.

Roddy White, Falcons expected to agree on extension in offseason

Posted by Josh Alper on November 22, 2013, 6:47 AM EST

75b15ea7acab35610fd6d167f0e5f377-e1385120803543.jpeg?w=244

AP

The Falcons dropped to 2-9 on Thursday night, continuing a season that has seen just about everything that could go wrong wind up going wrong in Atlanta.

All that misery doesn’t appear to have soured wide receiver Roddy White on sticking around beyond 2014, however. Nor have ankle and hamstring issues that have seriously limited White this season soured the Falcons on keeping him around.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports that White and the Falcons are expected to agree to terms on a “reasonable” extension before White’s contract expires after next season. White is set to count $6.3 million against the cap next season and an extension could slash that number down.

Any money saved could be used to help rebuild the team’s offensive line in the offseason, something that’s a necessity after watching the unit fail time and again this season. There’s also going to be a need to extend Julio Jones, whose rookie deal is up after next season. Reasonable probably won’t come up much in the discussion of that contract, which reportedly hasn’t started yet, since Jones is set up for a deal on line with the top receivers in the league.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to know what "reasonable" is?

I think Roddy - once healthy - is a #2 WR and no more than a $4mm/yr player.

at most, I hope we only extend Roddy 2 more years - i think after 2014, he is probably a back-up. Just a guess.

Why extend Roddy now why he is unhealthy? even if we wait until end of 2014 when his contract runs out - what is the market going to be for a 34 year old WR?

Why extend Roddy now why he is unhealthy? even if we wait until end of 2014 when his contract runs out - what is the market going to be for a 34 year old WR?

Unhealthy and low production = Cheaper signing.

The guy's play style is similar to Reggie Wayne. Guys like him and be productive for a while. I don't know why people think the Roddy we have now is what we're going to get next year when he's completely healthy.

Definitely am 100% for an extension. Roddy is unhealthy this year and is the only reason his stats are so poor. Let him get healthy and get Julio opposite him drawing heavy coverage and he will be back to a legit WR. Not like he was because he is older, but his and Ryans chemistry and timing is so good that he doesn't have to have legs of a 25 year old WR anymore to get open. No reason he can't be like Anquan was for Balt last year.

Edited by Clark Kent™

Our front office seems to view our players as not than just assets and chess pieces. Not sure thats a good plan. Anyyhing over 4 is too much, and too be honest Roddy is getting to the 1 year deals stage of his career.

We seem to hand out contracts like candy. Obnoxious.

Unhealthy and low production = Cheaper signing.

The guy's play style is similar to Reggie Wayne. Guys like him and be productive for a while. I don't know why people think the Roddy we have now is what we're going to get next year when he's completely healthy.

I would like Roddy to retire a Falcon - but don't want to overpay to do so. If he comes in at $4mm/yr I won't beotch too much about it. Roddy is making $10mm/yr now though - my guess is we are going to overpay - AGAIN.

I want to know what "reasonable" is?

I think Roddy - once healthy - is a #2 WR and no more than a $4mm/yr player.

at most, I hope we only extend Roddy 2 more years - i think after 2014, he is probably a back-up. Just a guess.

I would guess you'll see a 3 year extension for ~5 a year. I'd guess most of it will be backloaded in salary so we could walk away after a year or two.

I think, assuming the deal is constructed right, its a great move. Fully healthy, Roddy is still capable of being productive. If we can free up even more cap space and push his deal out a bit, it would be very beneficial.

I would guess you'll see a 3 year extension for ~5 a year. I'd guess most of it will be backloaded in salary so we could walk away after a year or two.

I think, assuming the deal is constructed right, its a great move. Fully healthy, Roddy is still capable of being productive. If we can free up even more cap space and push his deal out a bit, it would be very beneficial.

yeah, deal needs to be backloaded so we can cut him with no accelerating cap.

I hope Roddy is going to improve.....I know the "warrior mentality" of playing thru injury and all that crap but Roddy has been a ghost on the field this year. He has not made one significant play all year.

It all depends on structure. In a later-period extension, the only number that matters is the guaranteed money. Anything salary based later in the deal will probably never be paid out.

If it frees up money next year. Good. We just need to get away from spending so much more on the offense. At some point well need the money to invest in the defense.

Because he's been forcing himself out there on a high ankle sprain... HELLO.

the Roddy injuries have been bungled by Falcons/Roddy/Training staff from the get-go. High ankles are a 5-6 week injury and Smith/Roddy played him in the opener after 3 weeks - they used him as a decoy and did not allow the injury the proper amount of time to heal.

My understanding was that Roddy was over the high ankle after the bye week but then injured his hamstring. I don't know what his injury is now - if anything.

What I do know is we are in Week#13 - and if Roddy is not healthy and we are 2-9 - why is he playing? what is the point?

if we are thinking about re-signing Roddy to a longer-term deal AND Roddy is still hurt - why are we playing him? he is not helping the team - he's not making plays. Sit his azz....

Roddy is showing me he wants a ring. he's helping the team free up money so we can add some very necessary players to the roster. Roddy should retire a Falcon, then become a WR coach or at least an assistant

spare me "he wants a ring" - we are 2-9 and in the running for the #1 draft pick.

If it frees up money next year. Good. We just need to get away from spending so much more on the offense. At some point well need the money to invest in the defense.

I think this deal will actually result in significantly more money to be spent on the D/OL.

Roddy is currently a cap hit of ~$6 million plus incentives (if they apply) for next year. By kicking a three year, $15 million extension, with like 8 guaranteed, you can effectively take his cap hit from 6 to something like 3. That gives you an additional $3 million to play with on top of a decent cap situation before cuts.

Plus, we're going to be drafting in the Top 3 in a draft where there is a **** ton of defensive/OL talent. Our "best case" scenario is not winning another game and getting the #1 overall pick. With Bridgewater/Mariota sitting there and our QB situation solved, we'd be able to sell the pick for great value. That's a defensive rebuild+OL depth right there.

This season SUUUUUCKS, but it will benefit us in the end.

I think this deal will actually result in significantly more money to be spent on the D/OL.

Roddy is currently a cap hit of ~$6 million plus incentives (if they apply) for next year. By kicking a three year, $15 million extension, with like 8 guaranteed, you can effectively take his cap hit from 6 to something like 3. That gives you an additional $3 million to play with on top of a decent cap situation before cuts.

Plus, we're going to be drafting in the Top 3 in a draft where there is a **** ton of defensive/OL talent. Our "best case" scenario is not winning another game and getting the #1 overall pick. With Bridgewater/Mariota sitting there and our QB situation solved, we'd be able to sell the pick for great value. That's a defensive rebuild+OL depth right there.

only if Roddy returns close to form. otherwise, we have a subpar #2 WR that we are paying $5mm/yr

Oh I know. It helps. But I don't want them to have to cut him at the end of the deal because hes too expensive for his production. People flipped when we cut abe. Can you imagine roddy?!

I really don't get the extension - I was looking at Roddy's demise this year - sure its injury related - but I think the Falcons got the contract length right and the dollar value right on the first contract......I think by end of next year, it could be time to "move on" from Roddy - as great as he has been for Falcons.

At some point, every star and team are separated. It was tough when Niners let Joe Montana go, but it was the right time as Steve Young had to be played.

Others will argue differently, but I still think the Colts made the right move letting Peyton Manning go after they drafted Andrew Luck.

Braves did not re-sign Tim Hudson - he's 38yrs old and the SF Giants paid him 2yrs, $24mm which is ridiculous.

Sometimes you have to part ways - its not fun, but it can be necessary - look at Ozzie Newsome/Ravens - they let Ed Reed walk. Texans gave him a big contract and then cut him. Ed Reed is a Hall of Famer. Joe Montana is a hall of famer. Tim Hudson is a great player,

only if Roddy returns close to form. otherwise, we have a subpar #2 WR that we are paying $5mm/yr

Only if you structure it that way.

8 signing bonus spread over 4 years = 2 per year. Growing salaries toward the end of the deal mean you could probably get out for significantly less.

Admittedly, I'm lowballing these numbers, but Roddy understands how the league works and how the deal will be structured to be escapable.