Falcons Played Inspired Football, Just Came Up Short

Da Bird is Da Word

At the end of the day, we lost. On prime time. To our arch rivals. At home. There are no moral victories in the NFL, and all that stuff.

I did like what I saw from the players though. Not too terribly sure about the coaches or play-calling, but those guys really fought their a*sses off today. Several times Ryan evaded and pushed off defenders, ran to the side of the field and made a clutch play to extend the drive. Receivers did everything they could to catch the ball and gets yards after the catch--instead of running out of bounds they fought for the extra yards. A couple times receivers extended the play by getting back on their feet after being nearly knocked down to move the chains. We actually had some semblance of a run-game; S Jax didn't bust out any fifty yard runs but he sure as h*ell never went backwards either. These guys really wanted that win and played 'til the end in pursuit of it.

The O-line ultimately crumbled, we suffered a few untimely mistakes (the fumble), and (IMHO) not-so-great coaching (kicking a FG with 2:00 left when you need a TD to win it). We didn't win the ballgame.

Eh, basically I'm just glad they played competitively and didn't get blown out. I guess seeing my team get embarrassed all year has given me a losing mentality... lol. I had already given up on the season and just wanted them to make a game out of it. I was at the Dome screaming my a*ss off until the end, even with 5 seconds left on the clock when our guys were out there desperately trying to hot potato the football down to the end-zone.

This year is a lost cause, and the off-season is gonna be a long one...especially with rival fans poking fun at our huge collapse and less-than-abysmal record all Summer long. And Saints fans once again priding themselves with another sweep. But I have faith we'll be back in it next year... and if we're not blowing people out, we'll at least be winning the close games instead of losing them. You can't count on us to lose all our play-makers every season, and next year they're gonna make you pay. Rise Up Atlanta.

Good luck taking the division Carolina.

At the end of the day, we lost. On prime time. To our arch rivals. At home. There are no moral victories in the NFL, and all that stuff.

I did like what I saw from the players though. Not too terribly sure about the coaches or play-calling, but those guys really fought their a*sses off today. Several times Ryan evaded and pushed off defenders, ran to the side of the field and made a clutch play to extend the drive. Receivers did everything they could to catch the ball and gets yards after the catch--instead of running out of bounds they fought for the extra yards. A couple times receivers extended the play by getting back on their feet after being nearly knocked down to move the chains. We actually had some semblance of a run-game; S Jax didn't bust out any fifty yard runs but he sure as h*ell never went backwards either. These guys really wanted that win and played 'til the end in pursuit of it.

The O-line ultimately crumbled, we suffered a few untimely mistakes (the fumble), and (IMHO) not-so-great coaching (kicking a FG with 2:00 left when you need a TD to win it). We didn't win the ballgame.

Eh, basically I'm just glad they played competitively and didn't get blown out. I guess seeing my team get embarrassed all year has given me a losing mentality... lol. I had already given up on the season and just wanted them to make a game out of it. I was at the Dome screaming my a*ss off until the end, even with 5 seconds left on the clock when our guys were out there desperately trying to hot potato the football down to the end-zone.

This year is a lost cause, and the off-season is gonna be a long one...especially with rival fans poking fun at our huge collapse and less-than-abysmal record all Summer long. And Saints fans once again priding themselves with another sweep. But I have faith we'll be back in it next year... and if we're not blowing people out, we'll at least be winning the close games instead of losing them. You can't count on us to lose all our play-makers every season, and next year they're gonna make you pay. Rise Up Atlanta.

Good luck taking the division Carolina.

everything he said

Considering the Falcons D held the Saints to only 17 points was a big deal, but Ryan was being accosted all night, and Jackson looks like he's a 40 year old running back, even when he had openings he was so slow to the lane that it would close before he got there.

But a much better showing this week by the Falcons as a whole.

Considering the Falcons D held the Saints to only 17 points was a big deal, but Ryan was being accosted all night, and Jackson looks like he's a 40 year old running back, even when he had openings he was so slow to the lane that it would close before he got there.

But a much better showing this week by the Falcons as a whole.

Saints weren't in full attack mode to throw up a 40 point game.

Payton was calling a game very simulair to the falcons would have last season. Controlled and methodical.

No turnovers and no costly mistakes. keep the fans from getting involved and let them keep boooo`ing. There goes home field advantage.

Run the ball and run it some more. Keep the game slow to try and reduce the chance of injuries vs a very hyped up rival with nothing to gain and nothing to lose.

Why get in a shoot out when the saints weekness was being exploited. keep the game close so the falcons keep trying to run it. Let the falcons milk the clock. Instead of pulling your secondary back and maybe giving up a big play.

swing you hands widly until you get away with a few hits to Ryans head. :) had too do it.

Saints weren't in full attack mode to throw up a 40 point game.

Payton was calling a game very simulair to the falcons would have last season. Controlled and methodical.

No turnovers and no costly mistakes. keep the fans from getting involved and let them keep boooo`ing. There goes home field advantage.

Run the ball and run it some more. Keep the game slow to try and reduce the chance of injuries vs a very hyped up rival with nothing to gain and nothing to lose.

Why get in a shoot out when the saints weekness was being exploited. keep the game close so the falcons keep trying to run it. Let the falcons milk the clock. Instead of pulling your secondary back and maybe giving up a big play.

swing you hands widly until you get away with a few hits to Ryans head. smile.png had too do it.

I agree but I also think that Drew Brees was off. He had a few throws that were very unlike him such as the long throw to Graham early on, a couple of throws that didn't lead the WR allowing the defender to make a play, and that screen to PT where PT made the spinning move to catch it.

I agree but I also think that Drew Brees was off. He had a few throws that were very unlike him such as the long throw to Graham early on, a couple of throws that didn't lead the WR allowing the defender to make a play, and that screen to PT where PT made the spinning move to catch it.

He was off. But for him its probably hard to play slow controlled ball vs slinging it around.

Like Ryan... he plays 50 mins of handoff`ing, then everyone expects him to be as sharp as Payton Manning in the final mins with the game on the line.

I just dont think Brees was as excited as he gets when he knows the gameplan is gonna be balls to the wall and go for a 40 burger.

The Falcons also came out the gate hitting hard on D. That probably disrupted some timing routes so it probably was all on Brees.

But Brees did miss some reads and he had some people wide open. He got a lil pressure but nothing compared to what Ryan faced. (but thats normal for our games)

He was off. But for him its probably hard to play slow controlled ball vs slinging it around.

Like Ryan... he plays 50 mins of handoff`ing, then everyone expects him to be as sharp as Payton Manning in the final mins with the game on the line.

I just dont think Brees was as excited as he gets when he knows the gameplan is gonna be balls to the wall and go for a 40 burger.

The Falcons also came out the gate hitting hard on D. That probably disrupted some timing routes so it probably was all on Brees.

But Brees did miss some reads and he had some people wide open. He got a lil pressure but nothing compared to what Ryan faced. (but thats normal for our games)

I think that the Falcons had more energy. They had just been embarrassed on Sunday and the defense played like they had something to prove

Are you guys actually talking football in my thread?! I thought someone would find a way to derail this into a p-issing contest for sure. tongue.png

Agreed, can we all admit the SJAX signing was a mistake now. Would like to see Antone Smith get more carries he looks good when they give him the ball.

Man I was against the signing at first purely because of his age. Then I bought into the hype--he seemed to do well in TC, impressed me in PS (@ Ravens), looked to be in great shape compared to Turner, could catch the ball out the backfield and all that. There was little reason to think he couldn't put up 1,000 yards and equal Turner's TD numbers supposing we used him the same way as #33 and our line at least did as much as they did last year.

In hindsight it was a bad signing but I honestly don't think it was a bad idea at the time. His cap hit is pretty manageable. I do think it was a bad idea to sign him and just hope that he would instantly improve our run game without doing anything to bolster the O-line though. We knew he would be slow to the line like Turner and that he would need better run-blocking to truly make a difference. In Jackson's defense he still may not be playing @ 100% because of his injury but I guess that's the risk you take when you sign a 30 y/o RB about to retire.