Offensive Coordinator Possibilities

WOR

Now that Smith has one more year, I think he goes balls to the wall in an effort to win mulitple playoff games.

That starts with the failure Dirk Koetter. Our offense is attrocious. I know the line sucks and it completely destroys our chances at anything, but the creativity has never really been there.

Besides this is a discussion board. Lets discuss.

Who would you go after to replace Dirk?

I don't know if Koetter was the problem for two reasons:

1) I hate to bring up the dreaded "I" word, but injuries played a great role in deviating from the game plan. If his strategy was based on stretching the field with two big, fast receivers, he is obviously gonna be seen as ineffective if he can't do that because the key cogs to that plan are down because of injuries. That's not his fault. I don't know how feasible it is for a guy to come up with an entire strategy for the year in a few weeks.

2) Fans (myself included) complained about the LAST offensive coordinator. Remember that Group 1 & Group 2 madness? (I never even figured out how that started or what that was about.) The LAST coordinator wore out his welcome because he couldn't adjust. The LAST coordinator grew to be too predictable. The LAST coordinator was seen as too conservative. And now, THIS coordinator is getting the same complaints. Either the FO has a way of making everyone an exact replica of each other or the people in the position are not the real problem.

I don't know if Koetter was the problem for two reasons:

1) I hate to bring up the dreaded "I" word, but injuries played a great role in deviating from the game plan. If his strategy was based on stretching the field with two big, fast receivers, he is obviously gonna be seen as ineffective if he can't do that because the key cogs to that plan are down because of injuries. That's not his fault. I don't know how feasible it is for a guy to come up with an entire strategy for the year in a few weeks.

2) Fans (myself included) complained about the LAST offensive coordinator. Remember that Group 1 & Group 2 madness? (I never even figured out how that started or what that was about.) The LAST coordinator wore out his welcome because he couldn't adjust. The LAST coordinator grew to be too predictable. The LAST coordinator was seen as too conservative. And now, THIS coordinator is getting the same complaints. Either the FO has a way of making everyone an exact replica of each other or the people in the position are not the real problem.

I think Mularkey was part of the problem, but this o-line has gotten worse every season it seems. They literally haven't been good at all since Dahl left, and they weren't outstanding before that. If we don't fix the o-line, no coordinator will help (see Nolan and our defensive personnel for proof that even really good coordinators have problems with lack of personnel).

Fix the o-line, and if the problems continue, we can talk about a new coordinator. Right now, it's the equivalent of shooting the driver because the engine in the car won't run.

I don't like the fact that he doesn't bunch up receivers in the redzone, and I hate the fact that he overuses screens and shovel passes... When our receivers aren't getting open because they can't beat press coverage... he doesn't bunch them or run trips unless we're down 28 points. It's like this offense finally uses its potential when the pressure is off.. Sad really. We'd all like to see Antone more on a consistent basis.

I think Mularkey was part of the problem, but this o-line has gotten worse every season it seems. They literally haven't been good at all since Dahl left, and they weren't outstanding before that. If we don't fix the o-line, no coordinator will help (see Nolan and our defensive personnel for proof that even really good coordinators have problems with lack of personnel).

the reality is they've been literally better the first two years after Dahl left.

Last season our offense looked great. We even had trick plays throwing TDs to lineman. Dirk isn't the problem. Our offense sucks cause Pat Hill had a whole year to drill that BS 90s style blocking scheme into our lineman. Combine that with a strength and condition coach in over his head and 2 tackles who should be garbage men you go from first to worst.

We will get some relief in the salary cap next year. Sad to see Tony G's 7.5mill will be gone with no SB appearance. Build our O-line through FA, dump Steven Jackson and offer up Roddy White in a deal for a 3rd and 5th rounder. Build what's left through the draft. Get it done TD, or hire me Mr Blank, so I can.

the reality is they've been literally better the first two years after Dahl left.

No, they haven't. Perhaps you think I'm overselling the 2008-2010 lines, but 2011 through the present have been bad, and this year is simply garbage. I assume you agree that last year's o-line play was not good. 2011 wasn't either (remember, that's the year we decided 4th and 1 was just too much to ask for, especially in the playoffs). The line doesn't play tough at all anymore. When Dahl was here, we considered the o-line a strength. That's no longer true, and it hasn't been for a while.

I'm not saying Dahl was the missing link, or that he was the greatest lineman we had. I am saying he provided a nasty attitude to the line that we haven't had since. I don't think it's a coincidence that the line has degraded since the day he left.

Koetter is def a problem. Even last year, we should've scored more with the offensive weapons we had. The guy took Mularky's offense and added occasional screens. Literally, that's been the only difference.

That's not true. It's a completely different scheme. Some of the plays are the same, sure. But his approach to the offense is completely different than Mularkey's. It's night and day.

Whether that's good or bad is open to question. Certainly this year it isn't working any better. But it's pretty far from the same scheme.

Guest Negatorris

Koetter sucks. I'd let the offense be run by Ryan, the QB coach and maybe Robiskie. We don't need a OC. Ryan is one of the smartest QBs in the game and he should be able to control and call his own offense like Manning and Brady do.

That's not true. It's a completely different scheme. Some of the plays are the same, sure. But his approach to the offense is completely different than Mularkey's. It's night and day.

Whether that's good or bad is open to question. Certainly this year it isn't working any better. But it's pretty far from the same scheme.

Run first down, run second down, toss a short pass.

The only real difference is that he includes screens (that never work) and MM didn't