A-Town's Mock Offseason V.1

A-TowN.-

Here is my 2014 Offseason plan for success. Trench Warfare!

Staff:

• Mike Smith and Thomas Dimitroff will probably get one more year. Consistency is the key here, and they know they are on the hot seat. Great teams find ways around hiccups, they don’t clean house anytime there is a bump in the road (Steelers, Giants, etc.). They will get one more shot.
  • Get rid of: Derp Koetter, Pat Hill, and Ray Hamilton.

Resign:

• Chase Coffman – depth
  • Joe Hawley – depth
  • Corey Peters – starter
  • Peria Jerry – depth
  • Dominique Franks – depth

Cuts:

• Asante Samuel
  • Thomas DeCoud
  • Stephen Nicholas
  • Steven Jackson
  • Jason Snelling
  • Garrett Reynolds

Free Agents:

• Jon Asamoah, RG – Jon is one of the better up and coming guards in the league. He has made great improvements in the run game but his bread and butter is as a pass blocker. Jon has a great anchor and rarely allows pressure. He has only allowed 1 sack so far this year.

• Paul Soliai, DT – Paul is the NT we’ve needed for a long time. Enough of the smaller D-Linemen, it’s time to beef up the trenches. Soliai may not have incredible stats, but he is the anchor of a defensive line. He allows everyone else to get free, both in the pass and run game.

NFL Draft:

1. Jadeveon Clowney, DE South Carolina – 6’6, 275 lbs. – Clowney will come in and be our starter at defensive end. Clowney has an elite combination of size, speed, and strength. He has elite explosion off of the snap and I wish I had a count of how many times he abuses tackles right off the snap. He does an incredible job of shedding blocks with his natural power and ideal hand use. He is very, very quick when turning the corner, and he has already developed a great pass rushing repertoire. Clowney is very strong at the point of attack, and he is constantly stopping runs behind the line. Teams’ scheme against him, and despite what some may say, he has a very good motor.

120928011322_clowney.jpg

2. Aaron Donald, DT Pittsburgh – 6’0, 285 lbs. – Aaron Donald is a bit undersized, but he is still a disruptive player. He has a natural ability to gain leverage on blockers and drive them back. He gets off the snap extremely quick with a very quick first step. Despite his size, he has a great first initial push, which usually catches defenders off guard. Even though he is a bit smaller, he has a very good bull rush. In addition to the bull rush, he has a variety of other moves to shed blocks. He is a very quick defender and shoots gaps very well. He also holds the point of attack very well, and this is due to his underrated strength and leverage. Very solid versus the run, but even better as a pass rusher.

klzsdfnvlkszmnv.jpeg

3. Dion Bailey, S USC – 6’0, 200 lbs. – Dion is a flat out playmaker. Some people may get mad that I drafted a safety so early, but Thomas DeCoud can no longer be our FS. Bailey is a very versatile defender. Even though he has played OLB and has the size to be a SS, he can still play very well as a FS. Dion does not shy away from contact, and he is a very sure tackler who can deliver a big hit. Dion has very good range, awareness, and speed. He has a great combination of size and speed, which allows him to be a force in the center of the field. He plays with very tight coverage and he does a great job of flying to the ball.

dion-bailey.jpg

4. James Hurst, OT North Carolina – 6’6, 305 lbs. – Hurst will come in and be given the chance to compete at both tackle positions. Hurst is one of the most athletic tackles in this class. He does a terrific job of moving his feet laterally, and he excels on kick-sliding to stay in front of edge rushers. He has very fluid lateral motion and his awareness is also an attributes for him in pass protection. His athleticism is also noticeable in his run blocking. He has a great ability to get off the ball and drivew his defenders downfield. He is not classified as a road grader, but he is still a very good run blocker. His hand placement, ability to anchor, and move his feet has to be his greatest strengths.

hi-res-6572766_crop_650.jpg?1369897391

5. Weston Richburg, OC Colorado State – 6’4, 300 lbs. – Richburg has impressed with his combination of athleticism and power. He has the quickness to be a very efficient at pulling, moving laterally, and getting to the second level. He has a very good initial punch, quickness off the snap, and power which allows him to move defenders in the run game. He has the ability to generate momentum quickly and he plays with a mean streak. Richburg is a very intelligent player with great awareness. While he is an above average run blocker, he is an even better pass blocker. He slides incredibly well, and is able to handle speed rushers with ease. He has very good balance and anchors very well. If he gets a hand on a defender, they are not getting passed him. Richburg has very good technique, and his hand placement is very good. Richburg will have a chance to take Konz’s position.

6. Rajion Neal, RB Tennessee – 5’11, 212 lbs. – Rajion is a compact, quick runner. He has more than enough speed to gash defenses for big yardage. Rajion is a very tough runner between the tackles, and he is always fighting to get more yards. He is very light on his feet, and has the ability to run inside or out. He is a very tough runner who can either run through you (at least he attempts to), or make a move on you. He has soft hands and is an asset in the pass game. He is also not afraid to pick up blitzes. An all-around, very good running back. He also has a nose for the goal line.

7. T.J. Jones, WR Notre Dame – 5’11, 195 lbs. – T.J. has a very good build, and he can play on the inside or outside if needed. Jones has very good quickness, and he has a great ability to get yards after the catch. He is an above average route runner, and he has very reliable hands. He isn’t afraid to go over the middle and make a catch. He is a tough player, and isn’t afraid to get hit. He also has a tendency to try and fight for more yards. He can get open in a hurry, and he knows how to dismantle zone defenses. He is a clutch player who can make some tough catches.

UDFA:

• Jeff Budzien, K Northwestern – 37 of 40 his last two years: 92.5% accuracy.

• Keith Smith, LB San Jose State – 6’1, 230 lbs. – Averaging nearly 14 tackles a game right now. He is all over the place. Very good instincts with above average sideline to sideline speed. Combined stats for the last two years: 234 total tackles, 11.5 TFL, 8 PBU, 5 FF, 1 INT, 1 sack.

• Justin Ellis, NT Louisiana Tech – 6’2, 357 lbs. – A huge defensive tackle that commands double teams. He will make you pay if you do not give him extra blocking attention. Even when he gets double teamed, he is a handful. Has a tendency to get winded, but at that size, anybody would be. Needs to be a little more consistent. Stats so far this year: 37 total tackles, 4.5 TFL, 1.5 sacks, 1 PBU.

• Jay Prosch, FB Auburn – 6’0, 258 lbs. – Fullbacks are not a hot commodity to draft, so I don’t see him being drafted. He is a huge bodied, lead blocker that can pave the way for any of our running backs. Will give Ewing a run for his money, and he will more than likely take his place if Ewing even thinks about getting another injury.

Notes:

• We may have a lot more money left over in Free Agency, but I did not want to go overboard. Maybe we can sign an adequate RT (more so than Trueblood), and they can come in and give some competition to the younger guys. Someone like Eric Winston would be perfect for that.
  • I believe both the drafted and undrafted players will stick and either provide great depth, or they can come in and start.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is almost perfect. My only issue is I don't think we should get rid of steven jackson...I think he's been underutilized. Tampa Bay was exactly stopping him, he just didn't get a lotta touches. I would also add a mid-level starting TE like Brandon Myers.

Other than that...this offseason would be a dream scenario

This is almost perfect. My only issue is I don't think we should get rid of steven jackson...I think he's been underutilized. Tampa Bay was exactly stopping him, he just didn't get a lotta touches. I would also add a mid-level starting TE like Brandon Myers.

Other than that...this offseason would be a dream scenario

Honestly? I think Jackson & Snelling are both worth cutting.

People say "Oh, Quizz can't carry the full load," but at the end of the day our running game doesn't even equate to a "full load". We run ~30% of the time. That's 60% of a full load, at best, I think Quizz can handle that, especially since he's so great in the passing game both as a blocker and an eligible receiver. On top of that I think we know now that Antone Smith is a capable change of pace guy. I think Quizz can be our personal little MJD. Difference is that we don't run the ball enough for anybody to put up big fantasy numbers on the ground, so why even bother paying a high profile RB?

I'd be ok with cutting Snelling but I do not think Rodgers is the #1 guy in a rotation. He's excellent catching the ball outta the backfield, he's a very good blocker, and this year he's done a great job of hitting the hole with power and purpose ...but unlike Jackson I don't think Rodgers gets better with more carries. He's a 6 -10 touch guy...I think Smitty has to rely on the run more...so for me Jackson still has value in this offense. Now if the gamplan doesn't change from what it currently is then you're right...no need for Jackson...but I don't think that's a good recipe for winning.

Why if we get Asamoah? They would be riding the pine and wouldn't make an instant impact if they are only depth.

I'd love G. Jackson though.

Sorry A-Town. skipped to the mock without looking at your free agents. I like your plan, provided Soliai passes a strict physical......he has had conditioning problems.

I would really prefer to see us draft Kevin Norwood (UA). He is not fast, but he is strong and is a true football player. Ryan could use a reliable possession guy behind Roddy.

We may have a shot at LSU's DT (Anthony Johnson). He is disruptive and strong.

Edited by etherdome

There's alot of good intelligent discussion here..i almost thought i'd stumbled upon the wrong site hahahahaha. I like it except for getting rid of Jackson. I like having a bruiser RB to compliment Quizz and Antone Smith. Smith is underrated and I think they can all be utilized really well behind a great line. Jackson showed tonight that if the line can give him just a crease he can barrell guys over for a few extra yards. Goalline TD was something I havent seen in awhile with these guys. Right up the gut. Hawley is a vast improvement at Center but our RG spot is a glaring hole and Trueblood & Holmes are just slow-footed against speed rushers. With a good draft I think this team is back to at least playoff contention next year. Nice mock here. Let's hope TD is reading.

Honestly? I think Jackson & Snelling are both worth cutting.

People say "Oh, Quizz can't carry the full load," but at the end of the day our running game doesn't even equate to a "full load". We run ~30% of the time. That's 60% of a full load, at best, I think Quizz can handle that, especially since he's so great in the passing game both as a blocker and an eligible receiver. On top of that I think we know now that Antone Smith is a capable change of pace guy. I think Quizz can be our personal little MJD. Difference is that we don't run the ball enough for anybody to put up big fantasy numbers on the ground, so why even bother paying a high profile RB?

Exactly. Sjax maybe a good RB, but he isn't a fit for this team. If we go back to smash mouth, maybe. But I don't see that.

People want Sjax to be something, that on this team, just isn't possible. Quiz, Smith, and a cheap bruiser could more than handle this teams RB duties.

And theres something to say about Sjax never being on a winning team. After all these years I just can't say that is coincidence. That guy has to be cursed somehow.

Hurst in the 4th? Will not make it out of the 2nd?

Donald in the the 2nd? A little high could get in the 3rd?

Where are you referencing your player projection?

What happen to McClain, we would only have 4 cb not worried about injuries?

We sign two NT but signs a undersized DT not sure the strategy?

Edited by head busta from augusta

Hurst in the 4th? Will not make it out of the 2nd?

Donald in the the 2nd? A little high could get in the 3rd?

Where are you referencing your player projection?

What happen to McClain, we would only have 4 cb not worried about injuries?

We sign two NT but signs a undersized DT not sure the strategy?

Donald would be a DE in our 3-man fronts, like Babs, and then a DT in nickel situations.

Donald would be a DE in our 3-man fronts, like Babs, and then a DT in nickel situations.

So we think short, light and no history/experience in the position is the way to go for a seconder top 34 pick? Boy you guys are really starting to reach with this this 3-4 dream? So you made a reference in another thread about knowing schemes,

is there another DE in a 3 man front with this measurable? Does that make any kind of sense for a team that is already struggling on defense to make a move so risky? I like Donald but he is in no way shape or form a 3-4 DE, he might be better suit as a 4-3 DE because of his size alone?

Edited by head busta from augusta

So we think short, light and no history/experience in the position is the way to go for a seconder top 34 pick? Boy you guys are really starting to reach with this this 3-4 dream? So you made a reference in another thread about knowing schemes,

is there another DE in a 3 man front with this measurable? Does that make any kind of sense for a team that is already struggling on defense to make a move so risky? I like Donald but he is in no way shape or form a 3-4 DE, he might be better suit as a 4-3 DE because of his size alone?

Do you even watch film, dude? Pitt runs a hybrid scheme very similar to Nolan's less complicated stuff. He literally does exactly what I just laid out as what his role would be in our defense, for Pitt. He mans up as a 4 tech, controls two gaps and plays stout when Pitt plays 3 down linemen sets. He's INSANELY disruptive as a 3 tech gap shooter when they go to a 4 down lineman look. He's capable of everything I just told you he'd do for us.

Also, any of the three DTs that have contracts coming up (Babe, Jerry, Peters) rotate enough that they've all played end (4-tech) in our "3DT" sets (poor man's 3-4 since we don't have a true NT) so whichever one (or two) we re-sign (hopefully Peters) would be perfectly capable of filling the other 3/4 tech spot.

Do you even watch film, dude? Pitt runs a hybrid scheme very similar to Nolan's less complicated stuff. He literally does exactly what I just laid out as what his role would be in our defense, for Pitt. He mans up as a 4 tech, controls two gaps and plays stout when Pitt plays 3 down linemen sets. He's INSANELY disruptive as a 3 tech gap shooter when they go to a 4 down lineman look. He's capable of everything I just told you he'd do for us.

Also, any of the three DTs that have contracts coming up (Babe, Jerry, Peters) rotate enough that they've all played end (4-tech) in our "3DT" sets (poor man's 3-4 since we don't have a true NT) so whichever one (or two) we re-sign (hopefully Peters) would be perfectly capable of filling the other 3/4 tech spot.

Okay Coach, Nolan's defense "amoeba" is more of a blitz package. We have not drafted personnel to run we may run it 2-3 series in a game it is not something we are switching too. Please reference a game that you think we ran that as a primary package or more than 20% of the time.

Same thing goes for Pitt, when do they run a hybrid defense that you think the falcons run where Donald is a DE. If he played a 3-4 DE in the NFL he would get washed out against the run he is too small. There is no one other than yourself who thinks Donald can play a 3-4 DE. I challenge you to find one person in the NFL starter or on the bench of his stature who plays a 3-4 DE. There is a reason for that, it is not effective!! Are you a going to tell me you are smarter than all the HC, DC and GM who makes personnel decision on players and the position they play?

Please coach stop with these make believe Madden moves, they don't work in real life.

I don't know how I feel about Hurst after watching more tape of him. He seems too slow footed to be an NFL LT and not powerful enough to be an RT. I do not feel confident in him to shore up either and think he'll just get buried in the depth chart.

Exactly. Sjax maybe a good RB, but he isn't a fit for this team. If we go back to smash mouth, maybe. But I don't see that.

People want Sjax to be something, that on this team, just isn't possible. Quiz, Smith, and a cheap bruiser could more than handle this teams RB duties.

And theres something to say about Sjax never being on a winning team. After all these years I just can't say that is coincidence. That guy has to be cursed somehow.

This offense is completely out of whack. Our O-line is best suited for a zone blocking scheme with the personnel we have yet they have a power man blocking scheme. We have a powerback yet we like using him for screens more than actually running. We had stud WRs yet we seemed to focus on screens more than anything even when they were healthy and playing. I feel like Koetter got the personnel he wanted but he has such tunnel vision on getting the personnel for screens and calling screens that it's ruined the offense, and this was something Jags fans warned me of when he was hired. The offense simply has no identity outside of the screen game and it's had disastrous results this season.

At any rate, Koetter absolutely has to go. If Smitty unfortunately stays then he cannot have any say in the OC. He'll always go with what he feels is a safe and conservative offense but in this current NFL that will not fly. We must get someone with creativity, aggression, and who knows how to use his personnel properly.