Red Dot Scopes Or Iron Sights - What Ya Got?

Guest Deisel

I've got a BSA red dot scope on my .22 S&W and pop up sights as a back up. On my AR-.223 I'm using a hologram HQ red dot and pop ups for backup. I like the red dot laser and optic sights on the hologram, but my problem with all these sights is sighting them in at CQ's.

At Distance they're very good and easy to sight in, say 50 yards and beyond, but for CQC, home protection action, you'lr distance will be quite short.

What says the gun folks out here?

Red dot scope on a 22 is kinda funny lol That's a serious scope for such a small gun

The BSA actually came with the gun, and it makes it Look cool. It also had a flashlight but I removed that and added it to my underside picatny rails on the .223. For plunking with the .22 its fun.

Is there a laser sight that gradually tilts downwards as the targets gets further out?

Not that I am aware of. The adjustments are knobs, in most cases, some cases you need an small alan wrench to adjust or a coin will do the trick.

nice

Ammo has been so expensive that range time has to be thought out. I've been teaching my 2 girls how to shoot and we started with this, less recoil, sound, etc, and the ammo used for the .22 was .22 cents or less in some instances. Now I pay .40 per round on .22 and just abit more for the .223 rounds. As for handguns, my wife carry's a .380 Bersa but prefers my Sig. 229 in a .40 cal. Edited by Deisel

Ammo has been so expensive that range time has to be thought out. I've been teaching my 2 girls how to shoot and we started with this, less recoil, sound, etc, and the ammo used for the .22 was .22 cents or less in some instances. Now I pay .40 per round on .22 and just abit more for the .223 rounds. As for handguns, my wife carry's a .380 Bersa but prefers my Sig. 229 in a .40 cal.

I have a S and W 22 that is about 100 years old that I got from my great grandfather. Thing is sweet and still shoots perfectly straight.

I have a S and W 22 that is about 100 years old that I got from my great grandfather. Thing is sweet and still shoots perfectly straight.

I bet its a fine gun. They are actually fun guns to shoot with, although the bullets so light it shoots high at 15 yards. For target and competition you have to adjust for that rise, immediately.

I bet its a fine gun. They are actually fun guns to shoot with, although the bullets so light it shoots high at 15 yards. For target and competition you have to adjust for that rise, immediately.

Yeah I rarely use it. I actually left it with my mom so she would have a gun for protection. Normally the only time I shoot these days is if im lucky enough to have time off for a hunting trip

Iron sights with tritium inserts.

I don't trust anything that requires batteries. Murphy's Law says they fail when you need them most.

Very true. I've got tritium sights on my Sig .40. Love em. As for rifles, or as the media likes to say "assault rifles" I like the red dots but, as Murphy would have it, pop up sights as backups. Nothing wrong with good old iron sights as well.

Red dot scope on a 22 is kinda funny lol That's a serious scope for such a small gun

A 22 Rifle is one of the weapons of choice for any prepper. Ammo is cheap, plentiful, and can be carried in large quantities by the average guy. They also can be made automatic , which makes them excellent riot busters. The scope would come in handy if you were hunting small game (because you wouldn't use a 30/30 to hunt squirrels ). Diesel has made an excellent choice.

A 22 Rifle is one of the weapons of choice for any prepper. Ammo is cheap, plentiful, and can be carried in large quantities by the average guy. They also can be made automatic , which makes them excellent riot busters. The scope would come in handy if you were hunting small game (because you wouldn't use a 30/30 to hunt squirrels ). Diesel has made an excellent choice.

Didn't say he didn't. Just never seen a laser scope on a .22

To me the RDS offers some good advantages which I will list below.

1) Good ones are relatively parallax free. With Iron Sights for example: your eye, the rear sight, the front sight, and the target all need to be in alignment. With a RDS you simply put the dot on the target.

2) You focus with both eyes. Obviously being able to shoot with both eyes open and being able to focus with both is an advantage allowing you a greater field of view and awareness. I can also shoot with both eyes open using irons, but I tend to only focus with my dominant eye while the other eye is more or less just being used for peripheral vision.

3) The dot of a RDS is always on the same plane as your target. With irons you can focus on your rear sight, front sight, target etc...but you can't focus on all 3 at the same time so something is going to be out of focus. The dot is always going to be on the same plane as your target allowing the dot and the target to always be in focus.